Yodel on Watchdog

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It was very interesting. Seems like lots of the Watchdog viewers have had the same problems as people on here.

I loved the bit when they said that they would give their drivers training - so they didn't throw x-boxes over the fence - isn't that common sense?:cheeky:

"we will give the drivers more training"
or
"we will improve our training programme" is exactly the same to me as " I hear what your saying" which in cleartext means: but I do not care what you say and we will carry on, but we hear what your saying!

Open university use them to deliver course materials and Studio catalogue for heavy more expensive items. My yodel guy is lovely. He delivered a parcel yesterday and waited for me to answer the door to explain that the bag was open but this was how he received it. I have however informed the supplier of this just in case the items I ordered do not work as a result of falling out if the bag coz it had obviously been slung about at some point

Yodel is the rebrand of the infamous HNDL (Home Network) that Amazon use. They rebranded because they had become so popular. Just shows that you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

They lobbed a fragile Sunrise alarm clock over a six foot fence onto concrete. Amazingly it survived and is still working.

I think it's very unfair to label every single person in a company as bad because of the actions of a few. The Yodel man who delivers here is lovely and one the few who actually bother to close my front gate on the way out ( another story but a particular annoyance of mine) and so is the Hermes lady. I know that people on here and other forums have had trouble with their deliveries and I can understand how annoying that must be, but it is down to the company management to sort the good from the bad that is what they get paid for. Saying things like "Yodel drivers throw things over fences" is not fair to those Yodel drivers who don't do that and would never dream of doing so. Of course drivers who dothat sort of thing need to be reprimanded or even replaced. The media (and us to a point) are very quick to complain when things go wrong but often do we see or hear a story where something good is recognised, the lady who delivers for Hermes knows her regular customers and checks up on the vulnerable if she hasn't seen them for a while she would never be praised for that. I am not saying that when things go wrong we shouldn't complain or that companies shouldn't put things right just that we need to recognise that not all delivery drivers are bad.

ahh but Ideal World use Yodel..as expected, they are the only company who have not even mangaged to get a parcel from their 'hub' to me in Jersey and just sent it back to IW - twice. Luckily C&C (IW) have used Citipost recently who can apparently deliver a parcel.

I was most amused that Yodel lost a woman's washing machine - twice...I am sure she wasn't though!

Just wanted to say its not all bad
I ordered an item from Amazon at 11am on Tues 18th December
and got the despatch email yesterday which said it was being delivered by Yodel
and should be with me by 24th which was handy as its for a Christmas Present
but panic set in when I saw Yodel was delivering but much to my surprise
when I came home today card from Yodel saying it had been delivered at
9am this morning but as I wasnt in it was with my neighbour next door :whew: :up: :clapping:

There are two strands to Yodel - the old HDNL who are mainly self employed drivers (who sometimes deliver for other companies including Hermes) and the DHL domestic parcel delivery service who have snazzy green vans and uniforms. They deliver from different depots in my area and while I have a good relationship with the old HDNL depot the DHL one is hopeless. I recently apparently had a parcel delivered to me when I wasn't in after 9pm (when their shift had finished) signed by me (only I never sign with just my first name I always use my surname). Too lazy to put a card through and process it for redelivery back at the depot!

Yodel lobbed a large parcel over our 6'6" side gate and we just arrived home in time..made them wait while OH went and rescued it and we could check - fortunately no damage. The same couple left me a parcel for next door, which was duly collected - my neighbour told me the instructions had been to leave it with her mother further up the road if she wasn't in - either they didn't read the instructions or they couldn't be bothered to drive back up the road...it didn't worry me taking it in but neighbour was annoyed. I've not had any other dealings with them but there was a piece in one of the Sundays about the firm..I believe John Lewis & Debenhams have stopped using them after a volley of complaints.

I have no agenda of my own as none of my family are connected with any courier company but I have to say that it's a awful job especially at this time of year. The drivers are under a lot of pressure and IMO given inadequate time often putting their health and driving licenses on the line to meet timescales.

I know there are worse jobs and some paid considerably less than the vital service they offer, and there is no excuse for unprofessional behaviour, but I think that the drivers get criticised for sometimes responding in the only way they can to ridiculous contracts signed by their management to get the work. I was on the receiving end of 2 damaged items purchased from John Lewis last Christmas delivered by HDNL, I have to say JL customer service was excellent and they replaced the critical item with next day delivery before the courier had picked up the damaged one, so well done JL and good on you for reconsidering courier options iin light of criticism from other customers.

As consumers we have to ask ourselves what 'price' we would put on free P&P - not for a moment excusing some of the exorbitant P&P we have all experienced this year with Q, but question whether we as consumers have a part to play in all this.

I've not had any issues with Yodel, but my courier of choice for delivering to my house is Hermes - top notch service and they deliver at the weekend too.
Absolute bottom of the list is DHL - if I knew in advance a company was using DHL as their courier it would stop me buying from them. I learned the hard way that DHL have subcontracted out delivery in my area to another firm who only deliver once a week, and once DHL pass the parcel over to the subcontracted firm there's no parcel tracking available at all. I waited nearly 10 days to receive a parcel from them.
Don't like UPS either simply because their nearest depot is 70 miles away so picking up from them in person is not an option, and they only deliver a couple of times a week. Not keen on HDNL either because having driven to their depot the other side of town to pick up an item, they couldn't find said item and I'd had a wasted journey.

Latest posts

Back