Yankees and Black Smoke

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I had to redecorate my lounge ceiling due to black smoke ruining it.I trimmed the wick,cleaned the jar top and did everything I should but my ceiling had a covering of grey soot.
I won't use them again :(

I just pull my mushrooms off before lighting, don"t think you can stop it doing that. Like Lemonsqeezy i found when i
used the shades on top of the candles, they would be covered in black soot, so goodness knows where the black smoke
goes when you dont put the shades on. My daughter noticed it first and i didnt believe her, but now realise she was
right. Not keen on them now cause of that, but unfortunately i have a "cupboard/stash of them. Maybe presents for
someone, or is that cruel, Prob

the mushroom i just cut them off. all my yankee candles smoke which is a pain but i use the shades which help i wont use them without the shaes now. the amount of soot in the shade is shocking. i prefer tarts mostly now...

I always thought the shades were an unnecessary fiddle but I was bought one as a gift. And they certainly do trap the black soot. God knows where it was going before but I've bought more shades now. Oddly it said on one I bought that you couldn't wash it. Well bugger that. It'll get washed and dried throughly whether it likes it or not!

I always thought the shades were an unnecessary fiddle but I was bought one as a gift. And they certainly do trap the black soot. God knows where it was going before but I've bought more shades now. Oddly it said on one I bought that you couldn't wash it. Well bugger that. It'll get washed and dried throughly whether it likes it or not!

The one problem I have with Yankee is the rim of the large jars full of black soot due to the burning wick, otherwise Yankee and Prices are first rate. I was considering buying a shade to prevent this. Do you think it would help TB?

I don't seem to get any black marks inside the jar so it must help. I wouldn't say the shades get black inside but the inside just becomes grey and grubby. My local garden centre has some shades in the sale so you might be able to get one to try without it costing a fortune.

Would highly recommend the shades although i use the toppers more but, either are good - the worst ones for sooting are the 2 wick tumblers I have a few left so not sure what I am going to do with those as we decorated in the spring and don't want to risk it

burning christmas rose in the dining room and the whole house smells amazing much nicer imo than the fresh cut roese that gives me a headache. seriously thinking of buying the super bargain price fruit candles very good price.

Thats a good hint Bags, about putting the candles out with the lids. I"m another one for the
shade, and i clean it with a damp cloth, and its been okay

I only use tarts which I love and the flame is held inside the burner which does get filled with soot whether it's the supermarket tealights or the Yankee ones. I bought a pile of the "sampler" candles and they were rubbish. I think only one out of a dozen different scents gave off a fragrance. The others smelled of nothing at all.

CC

Just Googled the bit below...and Yankee Candles are made from Paraffin........

"I can't help but wonder if we realised what was in the candles we burn, if we'd continue to do so. Unknown to us, many of our paraffin candles contain carcinogenic compounds!
Petroleum, which is the base product for paraffin, gives off smoke/exhaust which contains carcinogenic toxins not to mention the black soot that's inherent in these poor quality candles! It's also important to note that petroleum is not a renewable resource."

For health reasons I don't drink. I've never done drugs and I don't smoke. I eat healthily and I go to the blasted gym. I gave up commuting to London and I "grow my own" I accept candles aren't harmless but give me some pleasures in life! Burning a candle every now and then is a risk I'm prepared to take for health and redecoration purposes.

I'm allergic to normal candles, but can burn soy wax without a problem. I'm also the proud new owner of an electric burner (an unfortunate accident with a cheap burner left too long that nearly burnt my house down - I blame my foggy memory! - made me "jump" to the phone on Super Sunday) that I'll burn soy tarts (thanks to the kind ST member who posted a link to an online site selling them) on.

Problem is, what to do with all the tarts that came with it. I have sold stuff on here (a long, long time ago) if anyone's interested. Think I need to join the Drop - been meaning to for aaaages but something always comes first as I'd feel really mean just giving the minimum.

I only use tarts which I love and the flame is held inside the burner which does get filled with soot whether it's the supermarket tealights or the Yankee ones. I bought a pile of the "sampler" candles and they were rubbish. I think only one out of a dozen different scents gave off a fragrance. The others smelled of nothing at all.

CC

If you've still got some of the samplers, saw them into bits and put them in the tart burner. I've stopped using fire to burn the candles, night lights etc and am putting all the wax in my electric tart burner.

Latest posts

Back