Yankees and Black Smoke

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

One of the biggest causes of house fires is.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Those electric plug in air freshener things. A friend's husband is a fireman and refuses to let her have any in the house and warns everyone else about them.

Yeeks - I have one permanently on in the kitchen. I'll be removing it pronto. I can't smell it anymore anyway as I've got used to the smell

I had to redecorate my lounge ceiling due to black smoke ruining it.I trimmed the wick,cleaned the jar top and did everything I should but my ceiling had a covering of grey soot.
I won't use them again :(

Me too. It took 3 coats to cover the ceiling too. I only burn tarts now.

For my jars I only ever burn them with shades on and when I want to put them out I put a coaster over the top of the shade and the removal of the air makes the candle extinguish itself, leave the coaster on for a few moments and then voila no puff of black smoke. After a while the inside of the shades can get a bit mucky but just sit them in a sink of warm soapy water and quite scrub out with a brush and all brand new again. Failing that simply put the jars lid back on and leave it - works the same. Just don't blow them out and then no smoke. :eek:)

Also invest in a YC wick trimmer, cuts the wick to the correct length and stops all mushrooming and reduces smoking as the wick is the correct length. Only about £4/5 last forever too.

Last edited:
Forgot to add with my earlier post, that I haven't fallen into the trap of buying the large bag of Yankee unscented tealights, they flog you need to have.
Instead I just get the large shops own from Asda tealights, making sure I trim the wicks as short as possible to allow lighting, find them great for the non electric burners.
You get nearly all day out of one tealight, melts and scents the tarts really well.

I burn tarts. I have an electric burner on a timer in the hall and ordinary tart burners elsewhere. You should never blow a candle out but either snuff it out or cover it to deprive it of oxygen. Fire can't burn without air. I always cut off the little mushroom before re-lighting if I am using a real candle. I have bought the fruit candles tonight purely because I fancied them. Never been a one for jar candles before because I don't want jars hanging about but hey ho.

One thing I don't think they say it enough, is to make sure you place the jars on a tray, plate or mat.
I know they have adjusted them, so there's more wax left in the bases of the jars, but the bases can get warm and you risk a possible mark to your surface.
After wick goes out it's best to get the remaining wax out of the jars by popping into the freezer.
Then removing the wax to place in the tart warmers like a tart or if no warmer then leave to scent somewhere.

Latest posts

Back