Yankee Candles TSV 15/02/17

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm beginning to think not too, thought the Lavender Gelato would be proper lavender not s foodie type.
Right, now, what's the difference between a melt cup & a wax melt? Talk about a learning curve!

Dale is much better than JF was on the launch.

Melt cups are used in the Scenterpieces. They are plastic tubs with lids on them. Remove the lid (obviously) when warming them, and replace the lid when they are cooled.
Wax melts are used in meltwarmers and they do not come in plastic tubs. You can crumble them or break them to do a bit of mixology (but like play-doh, once mixed you can't unmix them). Wax melts are also sometimes called wax tarts (their original name, which is due to the shape of them). If you use a container for your wax melt it makes it easier to remove and store them so you can switch them around more. NB: all melt warmer dishes are designed to take 1 wax melt-worth of wax - so if mixing, don't forget that. If you want to mix 2 melts - half of each one...

Melts are cheaper, and come in a wider range of fragrances.

On the candle front - votives are the same as samplers.

I went for the AD! I don't mind the sound of the coffee one and I like cinnamon. I have to be wary of the cakey ones. Christmas Cupcake, YUK! Red Velvet Cake ditto. Now I love vanilla as a fragrance but not when YC get their hands on it in a cake candle. The ones I really look forward to are next month's Beach/Driftwood selection, followed by the Havana ones. But when they soon start going mad for Jelly Beans and Easter Cake, my credit card will be safe, LOL.

:mysmilie_59:

Mazza I am SO with you on the vanilla cake fragrances... Gaglicious for me :puke:

With the strange (to me) exception of the Bunny Cake - which has a citrus note to it as well as the vanilla... I really like it. It usually appears around Easter, and I dither every time. Other than that I find all their cake scents disgusting.

I'm up to my eyeballs in seaside scents... I need to burn some before my candle cupboard collapses under the strain.

Personally I find lavender scents from YC horrible, ditto peach (too much like 1970s air fresheners). I'm usually disappointed with the cinnamon candles as well. Also tend to steer well clear of honey scents (and flavours). I like honey, but hate the artificial attempts at it.

Mazza I am SO with you on the vanilla cake fragrances... Gaglicious for me :puke:

With the strange (to me) exception of the Bunny Cake - which has a citrus note to it as well as the vanilla... I really like it. It usually appears around Easter, and I dither every time. Other than that I find all their cake scents disgusting.

I'm up to my eyeballs in seaside scents... I need to burn some before my candle cupboard collapses under the strain.

Personally I find lavender scents from YC horrible, ditto peach (too much like 1970s air fresheners). I'm usually disappointed with the cinnamon candles as well. Also tend to steer well clear of honey scents (and flavours). I like honey, but hate the artificial attempts at it.

This sounds like a terrific deal
http://www.qvcuk.com/Yankee-Candle-...ct.706520.html?cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_--_-706520
But the only one left is Vanilla Cupcake which sounds really sweet & sickly.

It was a very popular TSV and this is all they have left. 28 pieces of vanilla cupcake is certainly not for me, but if you like the fragrance then it is a good buy.

May, how do you get the last centimetre of wax out of the large jar before putting it in the recycling? I used to give my jars to a friend but don't see her as much these days so cannot carry a bag full of them up to her! Presumably you have to scrub them out as well, but I don't have a dishwasher and can't be doing with a lot of manual effort, but they don't accept glass containers unless they are clean.....

It was a very popular TSV and this is all they have left. 28 pieces of vanilla cupcake is certainly not for me, but if you like the fragrance then it is a good buy.

May, how do you get the last centimetre of wax out of the large jar before putting it in the recycling? I used to give my jars to a friend but don't see her as much these days so cannot carry a bag full of them up to her! Presumably you have to scrub them out as well, but I don't have a dishwasher and can't be doing with a lot of manual effort, but they don't accept glass containers unless they are clean.....

I know you weren't asking me but I like interfering! I find it easy to chip/prise out the remaining wax in a jar once it has cooled by using my embankment knife (ie a not-too-sharp one). If you gently press the knife into the wax, it will crack and then lift. The bit around the wick-holder sometimes has a gluey substance underneath but even that lifts quite easily. The waxy residue round the sides and bottom is then easy to get off by using very hot water (I have actually used practically boiling water but am not going to recommend that because it could probably crack the jar, even though the glass can stand the heat of a flame obviously). Soak for a while then either use an old washing-up brush or swoosh the water out and wash the jar as you would a jam jar (when it's cooled a bit!).

I know you weren't asking me but I like interfering! I find it easy to chip/prise out the remaining wax in a jar once it has cooled by using my embankment knife (ie a not-too-sharp one). If you gently press the knife into the wax, it will crack and then lift. The bit around the wick-holder sometimes has a gluey substance underneath but even that lifts quite easily. The waxy residue round the sides and bottom is then easy to get off by using very hot water (I have actually used practically boiling water but am not going to recommend that because it could probably crack the jar, even though the glass can stand the heat of a flame obviously). Soak for a while then either use an old washing-up brush or swoosh the water out and wash the jar as you would a jam jar (when it's cooled a bit!).

I keep the last bits of wax from a finished jar in an old jar and use the bits to add to wax tarts that I discover I don't like when melting. I find this saves wasting a tart I love to try and save one that I don't, sort of recycled mixology!

the left over wax is nice in scentrepieces as well as melt warmer. i freeze the jars and stab the wax until it cracks in two. the tarte tatin is the one i am using at the moment its so strong in the scentrepiece

Trusty table knife! The kind with a round tip and a bit of flex in the blade.

I keep the last bits of wax from a finished jar in an old jar and use the bits to add to wax tarts that I discover I don't like when melting. I find this saves wasting a tart I love to try and save one that I don't, sort of recycled mixology!

Oh yes, I should have said I don't throw the wax from the bottom of a jar away either. I use it similarly, or sometimes I drop bits back into jars in use, when they have pooled nicely, to soften, sweeten, perk up whatever the jar is (if necessary).

OMG, I've got so much pristine wax in this flat I am not going to start keeping old stuff as well!

Oh, well done, Tarketta (I see you explain later that you are going to stick to melt cups from now on). I had to watch the launch show and I'm going to have a quick look at the next show, on in a minute, but I'm not tempted by the TSV. I don't even like the sound of the Honey Lavender Gelato now, having heard it described by Steven. I am not keen on the idea of a berry smell. I am thinking blackcurrant (the dreadful Cassis, which I hate) and I've got a Berry Trifle which is ok but I definitely wouldn't buy again.

I sincerely hope those of you who go for the TSV love it, though. Dying to hear what you think when the box arrives and especially when you light them (I realise we're looking at 2018/19 for you to burn yours, Mazza!).

I, too, was a little discouraged by Stephen's description of Honey Lavender Gelato, thinking I wanted it to smell like, well, Honey Lavender Gelato, not a berry smoothie!! You have cheered me up no end by referencing Berry Trifle, as I love that one, so hopefully it'll be similar! I only have half a Cherry Blossom, half a Wild Mint (which was much better than I was expecting. More of a herbal / grassy freshness than like setting fire to a polo!), and the end of a medium Verbena to get through, so will be cracking on with my TSV in no time! I will probably try them out as soon as they arrive, in fact, in case I need to return them.

the left over wax is nice in scentrepieces as well as melt warmer. i freeze the jars and stab the wax until it cracks in two. the tarte tatin is the one i am using at the moment its so strong in the scentrepiece

Was going to ask if using wax tarts / leftover wax in the Scenterpiece gives as powerful a throw as the melt cups do, but it sounds like that is the case. Unfortunately, I find the Scenterpiece a bit choking, and I've found that scents that I like in candle form are too strong for me in melt cup form. Fluffy Towels and All Is Bright have been the best of the bunch, but 10mins is probably as much as I'd want. It's great for quickly fragrancing a room or getting rid of cooking smells. It is worth pointing out that I have a freakishly powerful sense of smell and would make a competent stand in for a police dog.

I've always been a huge fan of the tarts but now I'm not getting the same scent as I used to. It could just be my nose of course but I was burning white tea yesterday and it smelled of nothing, even when I put my nose up close to it. I will try another fragrance today from the same batch and see what happens. Tarts really used to scent the whole house (small house) when I first lit them but now they seem to be quite faint - that is in fact what I found with votives. A couple of years ago votives smelled strong and now I don't buy them as I can barely smell them.

Didn't buy the TSV as I only liked the holiday one. Coffee and Honey not for me.

CC

I've always been a huge fan of the tarts but now I'm not getting the same scent as I used to. It could just be my nose of course but I was burning white tea yesterday and it smelled of nothing, even when I put my nose up close to it. I will try another fragrance today from the same batch and see what happens. Tarts really used to scent the whole house (small house) when I first lit them but now they seem to be quite faint - that is in fact what I found with votives. A couple of years ago votives smelled strong and now I don't buy them as I can barely smell them.

Didn't buy the TSV as I only liked the holiday one. Coffee and Honey not for me.

CC

I don't find tarts have as much scent these days either, but that's maybe because I'm now used to my scenterpiece and melt cups which give the most magnificent throw.

I don't find tarts have as much scent these days either, but that's maybe because I'm now used to my scenterpiece and melt cups which give the most magnificent throw.

I agree, they're definitely the way forward for me as they're so quick and efficient and the melt cups last me ages, much longer than the 24 hours they say

I, too, was a little discouraged by Stephen's description of Honey Lavender Gelato, thinking I wanted it to smell like, well, Honey Lavender Gelato, not a berry smoothie!! You have cheered me up no end by referencing Berry Trifle, as I love that one, so hopefully it'll be similar! I only have half a Cherry Blossom, half a Wild Mint (which was much better than I was expecting. More of a herbal / grassy freshness than like setting fire to a polo!), and the end of a medium Verbena to get through, so will be cracking on with my TSV in no time! I will probably try them out as soon as they arrive, in fact, in case I need to return them.

Excellent, so you'll be posting your comments soon. Look forward to your views, MIS.

Latest posts

Back