Would you like to look like Joan Rivers?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was teased and bullied because I had red hair, because I was small,because I was bad at sports and even because my parents were divorced. I don't feel that this gives me the right to make assumptions based on a person's gender.I am puzzled by the connection.

Yes, it would appear that redheads are still ridiculed. Mr. Basso may well be a loathsome creature in the eyes of many because of his connection to the fur trade and maybe he deserves to be ridiculed because of his name-dropping but I fail to see why he should be thought incapable of understanding women or of good design because he is gay.

The OP wonders why we would want to look like Joan Rivers. I certainly wouldn't want to emulate her caught -in-a-wind-tunnel facial features but she has always been a stylish dresser. It is not my style, too formal and requiring more effort than I am prepared to give, but I can see why he would choose her as an example of someone who dresses well...

I was teased and bullied because I had red hair, because I was small,because I was bad at sports and even because my parents were divorced. I don't feel that this gives me the right to make assumptions based on a person's gender.I am puzzled by the connection.

Yes, it would appear that redheads are still ridiculed. Mr. Basso may well be a loathsome creature in the eyes of many because of his connection to the fur trade and maybe he deserves to be ridiculed because of his name-dropping but I fail to see why he should be thought incapable of understanding women or of good design because he is gay.

The OP wonders why we would want to look like Joan Rivers. I certainly wouldn't want to emulate her caught -in-a-wind-tunnel facial features but she has always been a stylish dresser. It is not my style, too formal and requiring more effort than I am prepared to give, but I can see why he would choose her as an example of someone who dresses well...

You put things far more succinctly than I did :happy:

I think there's definitely some confusion over Ms Rivers' "look" in this thread; unltimately, what Ms Rivers decides to look like is down to her. But Mr Basso is only responsible for some of the clothes she decides to wear. Ms Rivers' plastic surgeon is responsible for her facial "enhancements".

So to refuse to buy from Dennis Basso because he clothes Joan Rivers, just because she may have taken her plastic surgery 12 steps too far, seems a rather strange reason to do so IMO.

I think what's being said is that Dennis Basso continuously refers to the fact that he dresses Joan Rivers, presumably in an attempt to make his clothes more attractive to the viewer.

The title of the thread is 'Would you like to look like Joan Rivers?'. The answer to that question I think is 'not very many of us', but I'm sure there are ladies who do.

Not me for sure.

I think what's being said is that Dennis Basso continuously refers to the fact that he dresses Joan Rivers, presumably in an attempt to make his clothes more attractive to the viewer.

The title of the thread is 'Would you like to look like Joan Rivers?'. The answer to that question I think is 'not very many of us', but I'm sure there are ladies who do.

Not me for sure.

But therein lies the confusion: if we're supposed to be discussing Mr Basso's statements that he has dressed Joan Rivers, then maybe the thread title should be "Would you like to dress like Joan Rivers"?

Otherwise people are going to misconstrue things, and constantly refer to Ms Rivers' physical "enhancements". Something which Mr Basso can have absolutely no control over, no matter what his sexuality is :devil:

As for Ms Rivers' dress sense: she dresses for what she is - a New York socialite. Rather classically so IMO.

But therein lies the confusion: if we're supposed to be discussing Mr Basso's statements that he has dressed Joan Rivers, then maybe the thread title should be "Would you like to dress like Joan Rivers"?

Otherwise people are going to misconstrue things, and constantly refer to Ms Rivers' physical "enhancements". Something which Mr Basso can have absolutely no control over, no matter what his sexuality is :devil:

As for Ms Rivers' dress sense: she dresses for what she is - a New York socialite. Rather classically so IMO.
All I was just trying to point out as the thread starter was that DB continually drops names e.g Joan Rivers, thinking that we will get excited and go and buy it because she's famous. It's like AY with the Cheryl Cole chat. If she uses this particular moisturiser then it must be sensational. No, as human beings, we are all special so why should we want to have it just because a famous person uses it? They should talk to us as if we are individuals not comparing us with the famous who like me and quite a few of us, have grown out of that phase.

I'm in my sixties and still have long natural red hair, the only comments I ever get are "is it natural it's lovely" In the US there is a group called RASP redheads are special people. Apparently redheads have one less layer of skin than others which is why we burn in the sun so easily.

All I was just trying to point out as the thread starter was that DB continually drops names e.g Joan Rivers, thinking that we will get excited and go and buy it because she's famous. It's like AY with the Cheryl Cole chat. If she uses this particular moisturiser then it must be sensational. No, as human beings, we are all special so why should we want to have it just because a famous person uses it? They should talk to us as if we are individuals not comparing us with the famous who like me and quite a few of us, have grown out of that phase.

To be fair, using famous people in advertising does seem to work: people become interested in products because of the celebrity's image - it's all aspirational.

As for Joan Rivers: she does have a successful jewellery range on QVC - Mr Basso's simply trying to appeal to Ms Rivers' customers.

He's not the only one to do this on QVC: presenters (and sometimes guests) will be doing a fashion show, and will suddenly recommend a bag from another range to go with it. Or a presenter in a jewellery hour will suddenly recommend a Leighton Denny nail colour to complement a particular ring.

Why pick on Dennis Basso and Joan Rivers when the practice is rife?

Latest posts

Back