Why is Q so fond of 'embellishments'?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Tiddlywinks

Registered Shopper
Embellished clothes that is... although the same goes for their product claims sometimes :mysmilie_11:.

Many a time I've seen something I think I might like, take a closer look and then find 'embellishments'... whatever happened to 'less is more'?

The Fashion By Together TSV is a prime example...

Totally agree....why spoil an otherwise reasonable piece of clothing? It's the same with Artscape and I see it's been sneaking into Casual & Co. I'm one who hates the "added" appeal.

Absolutely 100% agree ! all that cheap 'cladding' around the neckline, and you're totally stuffed for wearing your own necklace !

I blame all the 'cheap' designers (as opposed to the D & G, Alexander McQueens of this world) who are trying to appeal to the 75 + year old Grans of this world. And don't get me started on those flimsy bits of nonsense on the hips for gawds sake. What's that all about ??? Cant see old Posh adding strips of poly/chiffon on one of her bodycons, so why do these "tuppence a bucketful" designers think we'd go a bundle on it ?

I've tried this stuff on on the High Street, along with the dreaded waterfall cardigans - dear lord they add inches, and has anyone ever tried ironing the bl....dy things ? One wash and its in the charity bag !!!!

I am not that keen on the embellishment but its the shaping around the hips that gets me. The stylists go on about how flattering a shape it is for someone with larger hips. Maybe I misheard her and she meant 'fattening'. I have yet to try on a top with that type of shaping and look nice, it adds inches to the hips. I had to laugh at Brissles remark about the waterfall cardigans, I know exactly what you mean. I had a couple last year but they are now at tha back of tha wardrobe destined for the charity bag. I looked like the back end of a bus in them. As for the ironing I know exactly what you mean.

Not my cup of tea at all. I`m tall, not exactly stick thin and anything with beads, sequins, embroidery etc makes me look like a Christmas tree. Polyester rules on Q along with baggy bottoms ( on clothes not people ) cheap looking embellishments and garish patterns.

Lenny had some weird coiled wooden beads on a maxi dress straps. Women dress far more chic than Q give us credit for these days. Would like to know if Quackers days are numbered, they are hardly on now, thankfully. Bon Marche have the same styles at cheaper prices than most of Q's offerings. I am 56 this July and am considered a "more mature" buyer. Not Q "fashion" I am not. Work colleagues always comment on my dresses, Asda mostly, Tesco, and Laura Ashley in the sales. Not embellished, body skimming, three quarter or long sleeved, flatteringly above the knee, £16 to £60 each. All, except LA, don't need ironing, bonus!

LIAM - I'm also a big Asda fan now.

Just bought a lovely pair of coral jeggings for £12... Washed and tumbled really well. They've also got some great floaty tops as well... You can get an outfit (including flip flops) for less than a top on Q.

Anyway, I digress... The other problem with embellishments is the item is then more of a faff to wash and dry... The one good thing about man made fibres is the 'wash and go' convenience... Adding beads, sequins etc is just a pain.

I can't imagine who buys the QVC fashion, I haven't seen anything that I would wear for a very long time. I agree the American/Canada fashions seem full of embellishments, but saying that we have Michelle hope and her dreadful garish/ flouncy offerings and then the skimpy poly mix efforts from Trinny and Susannah...I have no idea how they sell any fashion or who to...I can remember way back when I would sit up to see Kim&Co's tsv, the last thing I bought from that range was a pair of black trousers price £27...now about £47.

Oh Kathy don't get me started on the flouncy frills of Michelle Hope. I have said time and time again that the buyers need a good talking to about what the viewers really want. I love colour and pattern but the styles /designs on QVC are horrendous. Also there are some terrible reviews about the quality of Trinny and Susannah products on the website. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

I am also a great fan of Asda and for me it's even better value as I get 10% discount(long service) I also like next and Debenhams as well as M&S in fact most high street shops are better than Q as far as I'm concerned.

Oh how I agree with all of the above. I'm always looking for good quality, plain long-sleeved tops/t-shirts or a print top that is a little different but doesn't look like a flower show tent or granny's curtains. I don't like embellishment as I like to add scarves or jewellery. I've always hated the 'waterfall' look and little sticky-out bits around the hips! I would like to see more casual clothes, not cruise-wear/beachy/dolling up stuff - don't 'dress up' unless it's absolutely necessary but I don't want to look like a bag lady either...:sun:

Luckily there is better stuff on offer elsewhere.

well 99.9% of the designers who flog on QVC are American and the mid west bible belt women love their embellishments. So we have to suffer it too.

I think you're on to something. When I visited the US last year and had a browse in Macy's, I saw loadsof clothes similar to what's on qvc

well 99.9% of the designers who flog on QVC are American and the mid west bible belt women love their embellishments. So we have to suffer it too.

This is sooo true which is why we have to surfer Nina Leonard , carol hochman, diane gilman etc because they appeal to the very conservative American QVC demographic they are usually middle aged , lower middle class stay at home Moms (nothing wrong with that if they are happy and spend truck loads of dollars with QVC)embellishments are a chance for some ' safe' individuality. UK women tend to let their clothes do what clothes should do, and express their personality with tasteful jewellery.

American fashion has always been light years behind us Brits ! I doubt very much whether the U.S. girl (now in her 60's) ever danced around her handbag the way we all did her in the sixties in dancehalls here. I think they were all still in the 50's fashions of twinsets, flared skirts and brown/white shoes with ankle socks when we had advanced to Mary Quant dressing. Nevertheless I don't want to be dressed in the way my Mum did when she was in her 60's.

This is sooo true which is why we have to surfer Nina Leonard , carol hochman, diane gilman etc because they appeal to the very conservative American QVC demographic they are usually middle aged , lower middle class stay at home Moms (nothing wrong with that if they are happy and spend truck loads of dollars with QVC)embellishments are a chance for some ' safe' individuality. UK women tend to let their clothes do what clothes should do, and express their personality with tasteful jewellery.

You must walk down a different high street than mine ... women look as if they wear clothes two sizes too small, can't be bothered to cover their big backsides, thinking it looks good I suppose, tasteful it's not and gaudy jewellery with a ring on every finger? And please run a comb through your hair before stepping out. A good wash would do as well. Makes QVC seem like a step up in taste and haute couture ... few English women look as good as their attractive European or NYC counterparts.

The one thing I find impossible to get is t shirts that wash. No matter how careful I am washing and ironing after the first wash they have totally lost their shape, either twice as wide or half the length. Yet I do see others who seem to find them ok but without going up to strangers and asking them their washing methods etc they shall remain my holy grail.

Agree about the Tshirts and I've had many a disaster ending with a short, wide body or twisted seams. I find M&S are generally ok but polyester seems to help, too.

I for one have NEVER seen any one actually wearing anything that has been shown on Q. The amount they say they sell at each and every show you would think that our supermarkets and high streets would be full of middle aged ladies wearing Kim & co or any of the other "designer" brands Q offers us week in week out.
I have never even seen anything that might tempt me to buy let alone the high costs involved in just getting the goods home and then back if as is more than likely they don't fit or make your hair stand on end and keep on giving the poor cat electric shocks.
So I am with you all on Adsa a pair of jeans for under £15.00 and you can try them on in store.

Latest posts

Back