Why is Q so fond of 'embellishments'?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The one thing I find impossible to get is t shirts that wash. No matter how careful I am washing and ironing after the first wash they have totally lost their shape, either twice as wide or half the length. Yet I do see others who seem to find them ok but without going up to strangers and asking them their washing methods etc they shall remain my holy grail.
The best quality t shirts blouses, sweats etc I have found are from Lands End they may be an American company, I'm not sure. They do have a uk website and customer services.The quality is excellent the cut and finishing is top notch they wash very well and always look great. They aren't cheap at approx £20 for a plain t shirt but they work out better value than buying lots of cheap ones.

Hoe this helps.

Last edited:
The quality of the fabric is everything in clothing, and the cheap cotton you get in supermarkets and market stalls is no where near the quality of the higher end stores. I am a great believer is tailoring and quality of fabric as you can spend whatever you like on clothing, if it is not tailored properly then it wont fit properly.

I wear a variety of clothing, most bought from an independent shop, clothing is not cheap but it's quality and lasts. I also wear QVC stuff, often bought cheap off ebay. I've had four occasions where strangers come up and asked about a QVC item I was wearing. Twice it was Tiana B dresses, a Basso faux suede coat and the other a Susan Graver top.

It's all about mixing and matching, you can look very smart in a Tiana B dress, opaque tights and knee length boots.

I think that for casual t-shirts a poly-cotton mix works well.

Going back to Asda, they have loads of cotton mix tops... I have a couple like this and they wash really well... just shoved 'em on tumble on the low heat setting and then remove and hang as soon as they are dry... no need for an iron either.

http://direct.asda.com/george/womens/tops/roll-sleeve-t-shirt/G004679133,default,pd.html

As to some QVC clothes... I do buy Tiana B dresses and have a few Kim & Co vest tops. I too have had compliments about the dresses - someone stopped me in Vauxhall station just to ask where I got one of them. But I wear them with opaque tights and flats not the 80s style white high heels that the models are forced to wear.

It was at a rail station that I got approached one of the times as well, wonder if it was the same person!

Gosh they are quite expensive. Wouldn't take you to put your toe through them at that price. Or am I a cheapskate as I think 8 quid is tops for me for a pair of fancier opaques.

Welcome to the forum Breann. :mysmilie_3: You don't work for UK tights by any chance do you? :angel: Apols if you don't and have fun here! :handshake::handshake:

I love Lands End clothes. You get what you pay for with them - I've got two Land's End coats and a top (all in their sale) and the quality is excellent. I think it's a US company, too.

People must be buying them though especially Michelle Hope because she has been around for years.I think she must have a lot of fans.

I'm convinced that the American designs come from one person who dishes them out to the "designers " as they are all pretty much the same.

The fabrics are all the same even though they come up with fancy names such as miracle jersey,liquid knit,melange knit etc.

I don't think Less is More exists in Q's world.

I am 'dipping in & out' of the Autumn 'Fashion' Day.More OUT as have just had a tummy bug and as am now recovering I don't want to relapse! I just don't understand most of the clothing offerings on Q.I know we all have wildly differing tastes but I am (please take my word on this) able to detach myself from a clothing item & appreciate that it is a becoming design in cut fabric and colour & someone will suit it & look good.This Latte range at the moment, lots of talk of Italian influence, not the Italy I am aware of & Kathy looks awful in that dress.I've got to go & lie down now there's an awful cream jacket for £213 & it's selling out.Well I did say we're all different.

I nearly needed a lie down myself when I dipped into the Yong Kim hour 11am.Ingrid and Micael were raving over a striped tunic, telling us how wonderful the colours were .Nothing wrong with that ,

Then......

Ingrid said " black and white stripes together are so wonderful you could write it into your will and leave it to your children" I don't think she was joking...........

i like very very plain clothes but for that look to work it has to have the two main "C'S Cloth and Cut. niether come cheap. qvc on the whole sell cheap clothes sometimes very overpriced for what they are and i suspect the embellishments are to make people think they are getting vfm..

Interesting thread. Much slagging off of embellishments, Kim & Co, Michelle Hope, Artscapes etc yet nobody is allowed to criticize certain designers (eg Yong Kim on certain threads) because it upsets someone who might be put off wearing that designer's creations. Let's just have a little more balance: everything should be fair game. If you think a particular designer's clothes are cheap/tat/shapeless/whatever, you should be allowed to say so, whatever it is and whoever wears it. If you feel good in it, that's all that matters.

I assume they put on decorations to justify the ridiculous prices and distract from the poor quality material and patterns.

As for t-shirt washing and getting them out of shape and shrunk, it's a total nightmare. Don't ever be tempted to tumble cotton ordinary t-shirts on a normal tumble cycle either. They will rise up past your belly button ;-)
The only ones I've never had a problem with is really good quality viscose. It hangs really well, quite heavy and silky soft feeling, folds nicely, and always washes well without losing shape or shrinking. Also doesn't crease too badly. It reminds me a bit of modal feeling fabric.

One of the things I enjoy about this discussion forum, is that whilst sitting here at home alone, thinking the things I think to myself about shopping channels in particular QVC as it's the only one I bother watching, except on rare occasions Ideal World, is that I now realize I'm not alone in some of my thoughts, either to do with hype, value for money, cheapness, designers love them or hate them, presenters etc., I have come to realize that it's not 'just me' but there are others who feel exactly as I do haha - keep it up girls it's convincing me my reactions are shared throughout the viewing public.

Latest posts

Back