Who is responsible in first place?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

jacaranda

Registered Shopper
Can anyone tell me who is responsible for faulty goods in the first year.

Have an HP touchscreen where the touchscreen has gone and I've only been using it for seven days but it was delivered in December! Don't ask why taken so long to get it on...wish I'd never bothered.

Only trouble is according to CS I have to get in contact with HP. I don't want it repaired, I want it taken away and money refunded.

From the past I remember that the retailer is responsible for goods fit for purpose...don't think this fits the bill.

Anyone????

Can anyone tell me who is responsible for faulty goods in the first year..........Only trouble is according to CS I have to get in contact with HP.

The retailer - you could try ringing HP & having a whinge to them about QVC taking no interest?

I don't want it repaired, I want it taken away and money refunded.

Very unlikely this will happen, as neither the retailer nor the manufacturer is obliged to do this; they do however have a responsibility to restore it to a working condition! :)

They would only consider replacing it if it had been repaired several times & was still failing to function correctly, about the only exception to this is x-boxes, which are usually replaced instantly when they break, which they frequently do!

your contract is definately with the retailer in the first year then it would be the manufacturer.
now this is an important fact: even if you buy something and you do not buy an exteneded warranty and the item breaks down you can be covered for a long time after the first year as goods must be of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose in which it was sold.
an expensive computer like yours even 18 months down the line that broke down would still be expected to last a lot longer than 18 months and the manufacturerr would have to repair it.
i am shocked that qvc have not offered you a full refund as it sounds as if the computer was not "fit for purpose".
good luck
boffy!

I have found that in the first 6 months (used to be a year) there was no quibble with QVC and they have given me a full refund for faulty goods.

I would certainly try QVC first, they should make it right, they've always been god to deal with

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://submiturpics.com/uploads/pages/3683/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Can anyone tell me who is responsible for faulty goods in the first year.

Have an HP touchscreen where the touchscreen has gone and I've only been using it for seven days but it was delivered in December! Don't ask why taken so long to get it on...wish I'd never bothered.

Only trouble is according to CS I have to get in contact with HP. I don't want it repaired, I want it taken away and money refunded.

From the past I remember that the retailer is responsible for goods fit for purpose...don't think this fits the bill.

Anyone????

Just to warn you -
We had a very bad experience with the original touchscreen from HP which we bought at comet It was faulty from day 1 and comet wouldn't take it back. We had to deal with HP who were very difficult. They kept saying they had repaired it, but sent it back with the same problems.They ended up having it in their repair workshop longer than we had it at home, and only when we threatened small claims court action did they eventually agree to refund us the money. It was a real struggle with HP. They have very poor customer service in our opinion. We bought it in May 07 and did not receive our money back until Feb 08.

QVC do only cover products for 6 months after that it is up to the manufactors. You bought in December so they will consider the 6 months up. You only set it up but you still had it in your home for 6 months, so they will say its HP you have to deal with.

Can I ask why you didn't set it up before now?

1)Worth contacting Trading Standards so you know your rights, re time limits & what you can expect- found them helpful with faulty computer screen. They also have a website with info & format letters

2) If you ring QVC you will know your rights before ringing

There is no right to refund after this period of ownership but they have to repair or replace.

Sale of Goods Act puts responsibility with the retailer in first six months. Sometimes though retailer might offer their own one year sale warranty anyway.

Last edited:
I see a lesson to be learned here. Dont buy big electrical goods from QVC - if you get problems you have the hassle of dealing over the phone to get it put right and also getting the item returned, via pick up or post office and then you have to take time off work waiting in for it to be collected etc...................... at least buying from a shop based retailer you have the opportunity to scream, shout and stand your ground until something is done !!!

Yes but brissles I've just last week bought a computer from Dell that arrived with a fault and so had hassle. Yes it can be simpler to return items to a shop but often you are paying more for the privilege of this facility.

Shame on a company the size of QVC for not smoothing the process. No need to scream or shout - just quote your rights because you are well protected :D

That's why Costco is soo good.
They just take it back and give you a refund. We had a phillips plasma tv which went faulty. We did ring phillips 1st and they wanted to take it away - it was only about 2months old. We didn't want to be left without a tele so we took it back to costco who with absolutely no quibble just refunded us.
And as you pay in cash you get cash back to go and buy another one there and then.

all shops give you grief at some time but i do agree that with your local shop you can go in and make a fuss...
i am shocked that you have only six months now then you have to deal with manufacturer is that just qvc or everywhere now....
even good old john lewis can be awkward if you get the wrong staff member but i will still take my chance with them rather than qvc.
manufacturers are notoriously hard to deal with.

Thing is in this instance, because Jacaranda didn't spot it was faulty straight away, she isn't covered by QVCs wonderful 30 day MBG. I think you need to look out the paperwork and with a bit of luck, you should have at least a years on site repair.

My last computer went wrong after only a month, we sent for the Medion on site repair man (got the machine in Aldi), the repairman came within 24 hours. The motherboard had burned out, it was replaced free of charge and the machine ran trouble free for a further four years.

Any computer firm worth its weight in salt will be anxious to give good after sales service. Sorry Jacaranda I think Hewlett Packard in the eyes of the law, should be given a chance to repair or replace the defective equipment. I know you have only had it out of the box a week, but its not an unknown occurence for this to happen whether you have paid out £300 or £3000. Good luck sorting this out, but I'd be really surprised if you get a refund without giving HP a chance first to put things right. Let us know how you get on.

There is no right to refund after this period of ownership but they have to repair or replace.

Sale of Goods Act puts responsibility with the retailer in first six months. Sometimes though retailer might offer their own one year sale warranty anyway.

The retailer is responsible full stop, there liability does not stop at 6 months.

Thanks everyone for your replie.

I did phone CS back and quoted trading standards at them. Their reply:

"phone HP and they will arrange for pick up. They will authorise refund and we will refund it to you" Think because when you register your computer with HP, it actually takes the date of first usage from the machine. So for once something is in my favour, they know when it was first initiated without my having to prove it!

I have been feeling really carp, so didn't phone them today, and hence not replying to you all sooner.

LorraineJ - if something goes wrong in the first year, you do not have to allow repair or replace...the product is not suitable for purpose, therefore refund is and should be given on request.

Had the same thing with a washing machine 15+ years ago, and had to slang it out with Comet and Hoover....I won!

Tomorrow, I will phone HP. I actually do like the computer, but I don't want a new computer that then has 6 months missing off the warranty. If one can go wrong, so can another! I know there was a three year warranty, but heck 7 days usage and the main feature of the product goes capput...but then I would have to find another computer....decisions decisions decisions!

Suggest asking for an entirely new factory boxed replacement (no chance of it being reconditioned or a mind change) and if that goes wrong too, then get your refund. I'd insist on the warranty beginning when I got the second machine though, as chopping 6 months off a three year warranty would not be just. It could be that you were unfortunate enough to get a Friday afternoon model and the next one will be fine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back