Who has had Gemporia jewellery valued

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

As for my Manhattan diamond pieces, there's a ring and pair of earrings. I asked for an insurance appraisal. The verbal response was the exact price I'd paid for them! Which I was understandably annoyed about, knowing that insurance valuations are inflated above retail values.
And don't forget the usual spiel of diamonds bought from Gems are 57% (I think) cheaper than on the high street.

This is related to valuations, but not jewellery. And it's an ark memory. When I was a child my mother (she still has it) had a Mexican Silver $ from the 1800s (she knew someone who used to give her odds and sods). She was a little down on her luck and wondered about selling it. The shop, or whatever it was pounced on her and gave her a stupid price. Stupid enough for her to say thanks no thanks. At some later date, she got it valued at a significant increase. Sooooo, if someone offers you a price too quickly, that probably means it's worth a lot more.

And as I'm here, not a joke, and for the layman, what is the difference between a valuation and an appraisal?

And as I'm here, not a joke, and for the layman, what is the difference between a valuation and an appraisal?
Not sure that there is a difference. I suspect that "appraisal" is used in America much more. There may be technical differences but, in this context, no difference 🤷‍♂️

Interesting what you've said about the valuer's comments re: heart cut. I always thought that heart cuts were very much in demand, and retailers often make a point of drawing attention to this cut, so I find the valuer's comment strange.

In my opinion, it's the 'valuer' / jeweller trying to devalue the piece to knock confidence, so that he can swoop in with a "but I'll buy it off you for £500" cheeky offer.

A 0.5ct heart cut diamond would be perfect for an engagement ring.

I'd also rather have a heart cut than a fairly standard and boring round brilliant / diamond cut.

I would imagine if a heart cut was put in a shop window alongside a 'standard' cut, the heart would sell first.

I often wonder why Gems don’t offer a Buy Back Service. Surely they’d be gasping to get their hands on all those rarer than rare stones from all those closed mines?……

Don't they already owe something like £19m that is left over from a Santander loan?

Do you think Santander would lend them another fiver to buy all the tat, I mean, top quality Jadeite back?

Latest posts

Back