What the heck...?!?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ruth still looks relatively untouched. Carol Vorderman, sadly, has become unrecognisable.
Another one who is almost unrecognisable, although less scarily, is Nicole Kidman. Carol Vorderman just looks like roughly human-shaped wax. Silly, silly woman. Beverley Callard, although I don’t dislike her, is heading that way. Mel B is turning into another narrow-eyed, expressionless shadow of her former self. Why, why, why?!!

(Please leave me a saucer of milk by the door.)

Ruthie's jumper will be described as 'Preppy'. They'll go on about smart casual, which I like & British women find hard to do, except my mum who nailed it - here's looking at you ma.
I can foresee Nina Leonard. Kim & Co, Michelle Hope, etc. coming out with smart casual/relaxed clothes as soon as they can. They'll all want to be on the band wagon since comfortable 'stay at home' clothes are 'the thing' now.

Another one who is almost unrecognisable, although less scarily, is Nicole Kidman. Carol Vorderman just looks like roughly human-shaped wax. Silly, silly woman. Beverley Callard, although I don’t dislike her, is heading that way. Mel B is turning into another narrow-eyed, expressionless shadow of her former self. Why, why, why?!!

I think until you get something done, you won't know if you'll be able to stop 'improving' things, sadly.
The ones we notice are the ones who have gone too far, and perhaps haven't had surgeons who have told them no more...or just surgeons without the best skills.
There are a slew of actresses who are recognisably themselves still even in their 70s and 80s, who have understood that slight adjustments that don't defy nature are more youthful.
The psychological damage of looking into a mirror and no longer recognising the person looking back at you must be significant.
Can excessive plastic surgery be both a symptom and a cause of mental health issues? I say yes.

I'll make it cream !

I totally agree - but i think the award for worse dressed should go to jilly halliday. She's got a lovely face and nice presenting but omg that scraggy rat tail hair and a figure that needs to steer clear of trousers. She could drop 10 years with a complete makeover
Jilly Halliday's old fashioned 'hippie' hair-do does nothing for her. However, I wouldn't like to see her with the style A. Kenan sports. And she needs to work on her posture. Legs splayed apart and feet turned outwards are not a good look. Big makeover needed, I agree.

I can foresee Nina Leonard. Kim & Co, Michelle Hope, etc. coming out with smart casual/relaxed clothes as soon as they can. They'll all want to be on the band wagon since comfortable 'stay at home' clothes are 'the thing' now.
I agree, but I don't think Michele Hope would be capable. She's been stuck in that Brentford nylons timewarp for so long it would take another Armageddon to get her out of it and I doubt whether any of us would survive the toxic fall out. Whilst that woman lives and breathes she'll continue to churn out clothes that conjure up images of an end of pier fortune teller in the 60's and 70's, Yootha Joyce in George and Mildred and at best something you'd wear to a bad taste party. I'll say something though...if it's stay at home clothes you're looking for then you may as well buy her stuff as you'd certainly not want to be seen outside wearing it!
In comparison RL's clothing is haute couiture!

I think I may be only one who quite likes both Jilly and AK hair! At least they aren’t extensions or spaniel ears.

Poor Jilly seems to be shoved into Q’s worst of the worse and being over endowed in the hip area myself I feel for her but at least she has the height to offset it. I think she has a lovely face and 10 extra points for not mentioning personal/family constantly.

I have seen Ruthless in magazine shoots where there has been a professional stylist on the job and she looks lovely with floaty clothes in jewel colours, softer make up and NO helmet hair, plus the soft focus.

However this isn’t her TV morning style and even worse her “range” on Q which I suspect is more true to what she wears from choice. Either she doesn’t do any cleaning or cooking at home or else she wears stiff clothes and shoes to do it, unlike myself in jeans, old T-shirt and flip flops with the odd bleach mark or spaghetti bolls stains on it!

I had a Join cropped layering overtop that I managed to get a couple of bleach splatters on. It was pale grey so I was mortified and ready to bin it. Then I thought "what if........" So I got the spray kitchen bleach out, padded out the underneath front of the top with kitchen roll and started to splatter spray the front with bleach. Result ? a very wearable pale grey top with arty white splodges, and unbelievably, comments as to where I got it from. So, just get out the Flash spray bleach dahling !

Next we will get a Ruth Langsford loungewear or lingerie range no doubt!
If not that, I anticipate Her RL line of eek pieces to complement the clothes, and maybe a designer bag or too for the range.
And I wonder if she has also been in discussions about bed linens and home wear?
Q have a whole demographic that Ruth embodies, her range seems to have been very successful, so I'm sure they are trying to milk the cash cow of the RL brand before the bubble bursts.

I say this as someone who really likes Ruth. Her professionalism shines out amongst the mediocrity of the Q presenters' behaviour these days.
Ruth lets Gabler get away with a few 'stupidities', and then ignores her and ploughs ahead with her strong, determined sell. She repeats her nuggets of truth over and over, however. Never too old to wear jeans, but too old to wear uncomfortable jeans, etc. etc. Maybe one of her henchwomen will write her a new script for 2021.

I would say its how you wear your jeans, and yes, some women ARE too old (not necessarily age) to wear jeans, especially if they've just emerged from the hairdressers after a shampoo and set ! because they are the ones who like a front crease and only wear them in pristine condition with Mary Jane Hotters. Jeans should accompany windswept tousled hair and chic sunglasses, in other words, not trying too hard.

I would say its how you wear your jeans, and yes, some women ARE too old (not necessarily age) to wear jeans, especially if they've just emerged from the hairdressers after a shampoo and set ! because they are the ones who like a front crease and only wear them in pristine condition with Mary Jane Hotters. Jeans should accompany windswept tousled hair and chic sunglasses, in other words, not trying too hard.
I’m back in mini skirts again, worn with thick fleece leggings. Not worn mini skirts since I was 28!

Mel B is turning into another narrow-eyed, expressionless shadow of her former self. Why, why, why?!!

Because once men are past a certain age they become distinguished, women on the other hand, as they get older, become disposable by the distinguished men (and I'm not talking about myself here). So women try to stay "beautiful". It doesn't always work but there's pressure, especially on women that have been in the limelight.

CC

Who would want a man who trades you in for a younger model anyway. There is always someone younger.
If there is an age difference there is always a wealth difference as well with the youth being the penniless one.

Because once men are past a certain age they become distinguished, women on the other hand, as they get older, become disposable by the distinguished men (and I'm not talking about myself here). So women try to stay "beautiful". It doesn't always work but there's pressure, especially on women that have been in the limelight.

CC
What's the certain age CC? I'm thinking of a few who will never look anything other than :sick: - Jeremy Clarkson, Jonathan Ross & the so-called PM would be top of my list.

I've always had a problem with ageing & as I've got older it's got worse. We've been together since we were 17 & I still consider my Mr T to be that boy, however, anyone else taking him on now would have a healthy 62 year old but one with grey hair, a neck that going old man wrinkly & a love of quoting catchphrases from people nobody under 40 knows. One of the things about the past 10 months that has made me really sad has been people posting photos & films of their elderly relatives in care homes when they are obviously confused & using these to argue about access. I think this is taking away their dignity, especially when there's another photo shown from when they were younger & never imagined how their later years would be spent.

I'm 64 on the 13th of this month (how did that happen??) and when not at work I live in jeans, usually bought from Asda, teamed with jumpers in winter and tee shirts in summer with footwear according to what I'm doing but sorry Glenn, there's no little pump story coming through but I can still rock a pair of stilettos when I want to.

I usually get my tops from charity shops and boot sales where it's possible to pick up really different pieces for not a lot of money.

I guess I'm lucky in that I'm told I look 10 years younger than I am but honestly if someone doesn't like the way I dress I really couldn't care less.

CC
That is very true. But to me, it explains why they think they need to do something but not why they (some of them) do what they do to themselves and why so many go so far, way beyond what looks good or even more youthful (if that’s what they were trying to achieve)? Do they see something different in their mirror? And why aren’t they put off by how others have ended up?

I’ve always believed that beauty comes from the inside so I would never consider cosmetic treatment. If I can’t compete with the looks of the “plastic” women, then tough. At least I don’t look as though I’ve been stretched to breaking point and people accept me for being me.

I may be wrong but I think that women who resort to surgery just to make themselves look younger, unless it’s for a medical reason, must be lacking in confidence. I guess I’m lucky that I apparently look a lot younger than my age but that’s down to my genes not to treatment or expensive creams.

Age is only a number and it didn’t stop me from meeting my OH who is considerably younger than I am and I know that he’d freak out if I decided to go down the “plastic” route. 😳

Well I doubt anybody would describe Mr V as being distinguished, except maybe on a wanted poster. He`s 70 tomorrow his hair is fully grey but at least he has hair, he`s got 2 hearing aids, his front teeth are false, a dodgy ticker, type 2 diabetes and he has a paunch he`s worked hard to gain but I doubt I`d swap him.

Who would want a man who trades you in for a younger model anyway. There is always someone younger.
If there is an age difference there is always a wealth difference as well with the youth being the penniless one.

Just check out the mature dating sites ! that's an education in itself !! You see chaps on there, listed as being 66, but look over 90, and asking to meet ladies who have an athletic build between 45 and 60. All manner of male humankind is on display - hairy nostrils (as they look down on the pc camera), thick necks, jowly chins, and some even have long ponytails with beards to match. Then there are the 'slumped in the chair/sofa' merchants who clearly cant get up without help - and its not rocket science why they want someone ! Not forgetting those whose sense of 'style' is obviously with the assistance of Oxfam or the Help The Aged, and an attitude of "well my late wife/ former partner never had a problem with how I dress'.

I could write a book.

Latest posts

Back