What is a table gift?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Ellaaa

Registered Shopper
Am I being a stereotypical tight Northerner here, but what the hell is a table gift? Why would you put a gift for someone at the table? I have never come across this. Can anyone enlighten me? I clearly don't travel in the right circles (or perhaps I actually do, because I can't think of anything more frustrating than having to buy my guests gifts when I've done all the ****** cooking and hosting... :mysmilie_17:)

It is a tradition in my family to give a thoughtful or fun table gift of no more than £10.

This was started by my Nan in the sixties and my Mum and myself have carried on this tradition.

We give out the table gifts after the main course and before Christmas pudding.

Am I being a stereotypical tight Northerner here, but what the hell is a table gift? Why would you put a gift for someone at the table? I have never come across this. Can anyone enlighten me? I clearly don't travel in the right circles (or perhaps I actually do, because I can't think of anything more frustrating than having to buy my guests gifts when I've done all the ****** cooking and hosting... :mysmilie_17:)

No I don't move in the circles were you leave someone a present (or gift as it's now known on QVC) on the table either, wouldn't quite have the same ambience while serving up egg and chips.

It is a tradition in my family to give a thoughtful or fun table gift of no more than £10.

This was started by my Nan in the sixties and my Mum and myself have carried on this tradition.

We give out the table gifts after the main course and before Christmas pudding.

We have this too but we don't have crackers, under/on the tree gifts, stockings or Santa presents etc. I pick up unusual things during the year and we only have 4 for lunch so it's not very much if you buy wisely. I have very few presents to buy so " gifting" doesn't cost me a fortune.

I'm a northerner (Manchester) and my family's version of a 'table gift' is a small boxed chocolate from Thorntons. We have always had this on the table by the drink to eat when you want throughout the meal. A tradition I carried on in my house. I did however buy a bag of tiny Molton Brown shower gels a couple of years ago because they were cheap from my local outlet and I have been placing one at each place setting as the 'table gift'. I think they 30ml each, but they could be smaller. Definitely not 50ml.

The only other person I know who does 'table gifts' is a friend of mine, but their gifts are actual presents around the £10 mark, wrapped and given out during the meal. The household hosting are the ones to buy the gifts.

My Mum normally hosts (as she's the only one with space - we all pitch in with the work) and has always put a little present at everyone's place, which is really sweet of her. When I got old enough to appreciate it, I then started getting a table present for her, so she, too, has something to unwrap at dinner. All family's have different traditions, but - as far as Q are concerned - we should all be doing all of them.

No I don't move in the circles were you leave someone a present (or gift as it's now known on QVC) on the table either, wouldn't quite have the same ambience while serving up egg and chips.
I normally buy lottery tickets and put those on the table. Just a thought though, wrap up the cutlery as a gift, at the end of the day people can't eat their diner without it now can they :mysmilie_17:

Nope we don`t do table gifts either. My little grandchildren love the crackers and they pull them at the start of the meal and we all have to wear the paper hats plus they love the cheap usually plastic bits and pieces which fall out of them. It always amazes me how we parents and grandparents buy expensive toys but cheap cracker gifts seem to fascinate them.
I once read that HRH the Queen frowns upon expensive gifts when the Royal Family gathers for Christmas and that gifts have to be small, inexpensive, funny or homemade. Apparantly last year Kate Middleton gave the Queen some homemade jam and the likes of Prince Harry and William have bought such things as whoopee cushions. I suppose when you`re a family with pots of money, jewels, properties and everything else you can think of, then there`s nothing anybody can buy which you don`t already have.

I just happened upon the QVC Christmas channel and was utterly gobsmacked to see that they're seriously suggesting a £500 Bose music system as suitable for this sort of "gifting". Wow, life on Planet QVC must be something else. I couldn't even afford to buy that for myself (not that I want one) let alone for anyone else. I'm utterly fed up seeing the same b****y gifting shows with the same stupid b****y carp gifts that no one would want anyway. Sick and tired of having TSVs pushed down our throats too, at the start of every hour, let alone having 4 or 5 hours to itself as well. All for the sake of a b****y gift! (some credit due to Caroline, Liz Earle's ambassador, for being a real trooper and working her socks off from midnight to midnight flogging that kit!)

I don't think I would go along with table gifts either. I say 'I don't think' as I will be sitting on my sunbed ( or little Tapas Bar if raining) in Spain.I don't have family here so do not contribute to this Christmas madness which I don't enjoy in the UK.If you enjoy it well & good.

I have enough trouble finding normal presents for family let alone an extra table gifts so it's a no from me.

I wondered if the idea originated from the Italian tradition of bomboniere. And QVC have picked it up and blown it out of all proportion. Not something I do. But I do usually make my own crackers with personalised gifts. But they are very small. Not least because the buggas have to fit in the cracker.

I havE done table gifts for years, they are lotto tickets and a fun item I shop all year for the little funny stuff it causes an uproar at the table. My Grandson has a big nose and one year he got a nose cover! All good fun and helps me get the dinner out as they play.

I wondered if the idea originated from the Italian tradition of bomboniere. And QVC have picked it up and blown it out of all proportion. Not something I do. But I do usually make my own crackers with personalised gifts. But they are very small. Not least because the buggas have to fit in the cracker.

Whilst it would be nice to believe QVC have gone overboard on a traditional custom,my cynical/ logical nature tells me it is yet another ploy to try to get us to spend even more on b***** gifting.
I have crackers at the table for a bit of fun but not a flaming full present each at the table .No wonder so many people find themselves in debt after Christmas if they feel they need to aspire to the levels of spending that channels such as QVC imply we should.None of my family or friends ever would expect a £500 gift for example and in fact would wonder why I had spent so much. It also puts the recipient in an awkward situation if they have spent very little.

I havE done table gifts for years, they are lotto tickets and a fun item I shop all year for the little funny stuff it causes an uproar at the table. My Grandson has a big nose and one year he got a nose cover! All good fun and helps me get the dinner out as they play.

Some years mine are funny and others they are something thoughtful but they are never cost very much as I use money off coupons/sales etc. I hate crackers so that is money saved and 2 of them are things Mr L and I would buy for ourselves anyway. If numbers were bigger it wouldn't be an option.

Latest posts

Back