Waterproof ratings

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

stratobuddy

Registered Shopper
I am fed up with QVC stating items are IP44 rated, and therefore fully waterproof. In fact, I've returned items because of this misleading statement.

So for reference, here is the official ratings BTW IP44 is only suitable for occasional splashing - - -

Is IP44 waterproof?​

As an IP44 rating indicates that the product is splashproof, it’s considered safe to use IP44 products in drier or more sheltered areas where they may be infrequently exposed to moisture, either indoors or outdoors. It wouldn’t be wise to use a product with a rating lower than IP44 outside due to the higher risk of water ingress.

However, an IP44 rating does not mean the product is waterproof – so it won’t be suitable for exposure to heavy rain or submersion in water, and should not be used in such situations.

If your product needs protection against powerful sprays or jets of water, then you’ll need an IP rating ending in 5 or 6. If your product needs to withstand immersion in water for up to 30 minutes, the rating should end in 7, whereas 8 indicates the ability to withstand long-term immersion under high pressure – so the latter is best for industrial applications.

The highest water ingress protection rating available is 9K, which is ideal for withstanding regular high-pressure jets of water in industries where sanitisation is essential.

They said the garden POTM was IP44 rated and could be used outdoors. I think the video shows it outside in the rain, unless that was the video for the other SFixx lamps. 🤔

I guess that most people wouldn’t sit out in a deluge but there’d probably be a problem if they ran indoors when the heavens opened and left the lamp outside. 😳

Latest posts

Back