Warning - Rant! (IBS/Food/Ingredients)

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Oh my goodness, i wonder who would have won.

As revolting as the endoscopy is, i think the worst ever is the two days of gastrogafin before a colonoscopy!! (shudders)

I forget what I was given but it wasn't gastrogafin...sachets to mix in water and it tasted a bit minty. Having to get that lot down and not eat for 24 hours was horrible, it was December, freezing cold, and of course I was all the colder with no food inside me - if there's a next time I'm going to ask if I can have it done in June!

I have IBS and its a bugger isn`t it ? Through ( very painful ) trial and error I`ve discovered many of the things which set it off bigtime but still get caught out with the "hidden " ingredients in things. I only ever eat one or at the most 2 slices of bread per day and only the light bread such as nimble or danish because its more like puffed up air, chocolate sets it off too but hey I`m human so have been known to eat it and bear the consequences later then vow never to eat it again but I do, I use only skimmed milk, low fat spreads and rarely if ever touch cheese, probiotic yoghurts i can take ( those in the little bottle ) and a tip my son gave me from when he was out in Affghanistan and the whole troop came down with bad stomachs and the Army Doc said they had to drink nothing but green tea with a teaspoon of active honey in it. I can`t drink it all the time but suffer at least one cup a day and its manuka honey I put into it and it certainly helps with the bloat. Other than that much like many of here its a case of grin and bear it and try to eat little and often rather than big meals and as soon as something seems to set it off then try to avoid it as often as possible. My Doc tested me for coeliac disease because often the symptoms are similar but my test came back negative thank god. Big hug to all who suffer !

My daughter has fibro, and she had a blood test from a private doctor, some people believe in it and others think its not an illness, but
ive seen my DD in agony with it. Pains in arms, legs, back......

.....But sitting up at 3.00 KWC sounds awful, and go back to your doctors, see if they have any other suggestions that could help, or any
different tablets. Don't be going through these and it could be something different, like coeliac etc.

I have fibro Sparkly, so tend to blame that for anything/everything! lol
Sympathy for your DD - pain is a PITA, nagging, constant & draining. xx

Makes you feeble too & snotty tempered - as well as pulled muscles already mentioned, I actually managed to wrench my knee/leg (which is now a series of ripples, feels like bits of old rope) by, wait for it, yes, losing my rag, indirectly anyway! lol Actually I was in a snot & when OH called up 'Do you want to get up now?' I barked back 'Yes!' & when he followed it with 'Do you need a hand?' (he always asks this, though I always do! lol) I snapped back 'NO!' I then (not so) cleverly tried to get up by myself, in my temper attempting to leap (slightly optimistic of me, more controlled throwing of oneself really!) out of bed, my leg wouldn't take the weight & I twisted it sideways........lesson learned, keep your temper, at least until upright! LOL

Yes Vienna is right, manuka honey is good for nearly everything. In fact in hospitals they are now using it on wounds, to help heal them.
Girls all i can say is get to the doctors and have an allergy test, i think they send you to the hospital for it, but it might be worth it in the
long run, but you'll probably be allergic to loads of things.

I've had camera up the bottie, loads of times, as ive had polyps and they have to keep an eye on it, and its the most awful awful thing
anyone can go through, with the sachets of stuff before hand and the trips to the loo, ugh, my OH was amazed when i'd to do it, he'd led
a sheltered life and never seen anything like it before. That was before i brought the noro virus to the house, ha ha

I found the throat spray wore off pretty quickly. I have a very fast heart rate and i remembe it shooting up. The nurse was holding my hand trying to calm me down and get me to try and breathe properly as opposed to panicky breathing(iykwim ) poor nurse, my response to her kindness was burping in her face. lovely!!

Vienna & Sparkly - I like manuka honey but hate green tea *ugh yuk spit* but will give it a go.

Am going to docs tomorrow, have to write stuff down so he gets shorthand version or I'd need an hour long appointment to cover everything in one go I need to speak to him about! LOL

I found the throat spray wore off pretty quickly. I have a very fast heart rate and i remembe it shooting up. The nurse was holding my hand trying to calm me down and get me to try and breathe properly as opposed to panicky breathing(iykwim ) poor nurse, my response to her kindness was burping in her face. lovely!!

'Better out than in' as my nan always used to say! LOL

Vienna & Sparkly - I like manuka honey but hate green tea *ugh yuk spit* but will give it a go.

Am going to docs tomorrow, have to write stuff down so he gets shorthand version or I'd need an hour long appointment to cover everything in one go I need to speak to him about! LOL

Good luck, let us know how you get on x

KWC my DD ended up in total agony with jaw pain, another side effect of fibro, and it took weeks to sort it out, i was even suggesting tablets
to her doctor (helped by the nurses in my ward) for spasm pain. It was dreadful to see, she was on dizapan, amitripoline, voltrol, etc etc and
stilll crying in pain. In end she'd to get a mouth guard, get a tooth out, and off work for few weeks, but she has to watch as her sickness is
monitored. Some people dont even think its an illness, which annoys me, just like when they didnt believe in ME and then found out years later
it is an actual illness. Some of her doctors don;t know much about it, so she can only go to the one all the time, terrible i think. I have aches
and pains and arthritis and i put it down to my age, but she thinks i also have it, i just know its getting harder and harder to keep working in
the hospital, but you have to do it. My sympathies to you, as i can appreciate that along with the fibro you have a lot of other problems, oh try
hot water bottle, she swears by it he he

I must get back to having a teaspoon of Manuka honey every morning - I don't know whether it actually did me any good but it can't do any harm! I wonder if I could put that in my mint tea..tend to have a cup about 9pm in the hopes of freeing my body from wind..! It might have helped this ruddy cough that I can't shake off, thinking about it..

good luck ..give him hell!

Oh Sparkly, your poor daughter. xx
Never had the jaw pain thing, don't even want to consider it. I declined the offer of amitriptyline as I have taken it previously & it & I did not get on very well, i.e. at all! :down:

I didn't get on with it either kitten. And all that faffing with increasing the dose over the weeks.

Now what's everyone having for lunch?

KWC she has taken herself off all the tablets now, but the amitrip, can help you sleep, and have any of you heard of

WIND SETTLERS . They help bring up wind, and i keep a box handy. They do work. But try the manuka honey, its the

best you can get, and BM try it with hot water and lemon for your cough..I might have boiled egg and toast for lunch .

Yum

KWC she has taken herself off all the tablets now, but the amitrip, can help you sleep, and have any of you heard of

WIND SETTLERS . They help bring up wind, and i keep a box handy. They do work. But try the manuka honey, its the

best you can get, and BM try it with hot water and lemon for your cough..I might have boiled egg and toast for lunch .

Yum

I usually do Barbs..hot water, lemon & honey that is! What are these Wind Settlers - available OTC? As for lunch, just did a cuppa-soup - Ainsley Harriott's Scottish chicken & leek, and some wholemeal bread with butter - but if that's lunch, roll on tea!

Carol, if i can call you that, yes wind settlers, got the box in front of me. For the symptomatic relief of flatulence, wind pains, bloating, a swollen stomach and other symptons associated with intestinal gas. One or two soft capsules. So worth a try. If it does my fee will follow . Get in the chemist OTC LOL

Carol, if i can call you that, yes wind settlers, got the box in front of me. For the symptomatic relief of flatulence, wind pains, bloating, a swollen stomach and other symptons associated with intestinal gas. One or two soft capsules. So worth a try. If it does my fee will follow . Get in the chemist OTC LOL

ooh..not chewable Barbs? Can't do anything that needs swallowing! I usually chew on a Gaviscon when it's dire but always open to hear of anything better!

Call me what you like (within reason!) I answer to most things!

KWC - re the bread.

I started having problems with bread a few years ago, it started with Warburton's. I kept trying different makes but in the end I couldn't eat any of them without problems. So I tried Nimble Wholemeal and have had no problem since. I can eat normal bread very occasionally, bit of garlic bread or something, but the Nimble tastes really good so I stick with that. I don't know what the white is like, I only eat wholemeal.

Problems with bread are very common and I read somewhere that the main cause is the commercial yeast they use. I make my own occasionally, usually soda bread and they're fine, but they don't keep and taste too good!! I don't suffer from any of the problems mentioned, but I can only eat small meals, which take time to digest following complicated gallbladder surgery.

(I cope without sedation for stomach endoscopies, but would need something more than gritting my teeth it if they were launching an attack from the other end!)

Carol they're gel capsules so very easy to swallow, but i suppose you could chew them, or syringe the stuff out of them

100 times worse when i lay down. It.just.burns across.my chest. The Dr told me its because the acid disperse across the chest.
Good to know but no help when you''re in agony.

Quick question whilst we're sharing. Does anyone else get very hot and sweaty when they having. the other symptoms?

Yes another one here LEL with IBS and GERD. When the cramping is really bad, I end up soaking with perspiration and feeling faint and nauseous. I've suffered since I was a child too but have never had any allergy test suggested, just take the same as everyone else, the omeprazole and colofac. I had no idea how many of us were in a similar position, nice to know we can sympathize with each other (but we ain't half a sickly lot on this 'ere forum :grin:)

Latest posts

Back