Warning on stockpiling beauty products. Shelf life v's warrantee.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dibbles

Registered Shopper
Following from my other thread about the Hugs and Kisses perfume (which I bought last July but has gone off despite being stored in a dark room), I asked the customer service woman if the 6 month warrantee applied to beauty products in general and she said they did.

So....

If you buy a beauty product after being told on the telly that it has a shelf life of x years unopened and x years when open, it is worthless. If it goes off after 6 months you won't get your money back.

That has saved me some shelf space in the future!

Thought you may like to know that fact just in case.

i remember the days when you bought what you needed used it up and bought anather one..its giving companies your money up front for expensive stuff. the money would be better off in your bank account not thiers

Well they were made to do this my the EU, most beauty companies fought against it and putting ingredients on the packaging. Hence the agreement of putting 6.12 or sometimes 18 months on the packaging. I remember Decleor put the actual date of manufacture and the use by dates on their balms. Now I have bought a few pieces of a brand called Hourglass a US brand sold at SpaceNK(fab makeup and natural ingredients etc approved my PETA), they have a proper use by date on all their products. Boxes and bottom of bottles, my primer says 9/14 and the foundation is 11/13.

I go by smell and texture of all liquid products. Bobbi Brown and Nars lipsticks tend to develop the crayon smell after about a year usually which means they are turning. Will they hurt you? No. But they do taste like sucking a crayon. Though I do own a BB gloss stick which has survived a very long time.

On Facebook the other day on QVC page it came up about Elemis and people buying 3 or 4 of the TSVs etc and the use by 6 months. A fan said the natural ingredients stop or don't work as well after that period. They also went on about the jars and being air tight. Sorry but as an Elemis user that is b*llocks. There is no way the jars can be air tight, even at the factory and packing they are not air tight. For one you would have a pop of the vacuum (sp) when you first open. The creams will be in giant vats in the factory as well not air tight and how long do they sit in them before packing?

Last edited:
its business i suppose. getting people to spend spend spend. using a cleanser,then a re cleanser,eyemakeup remover,toner,serum,moisturiser,primer, eye primer,ultrasun spf,make-up,concealer,powder and a spritz to set it all lol no wonder peeps skins are breaking out and reacting and our purses are suffering! lol

If QVC claim that something should be ok for say X months before opening and Y months after opening but this isn't true then they are making false claims so couldn't people go to trading standards?

I'm one of those saddos who stockpiles. Every time I find something I love, it gets discontinued - hence the panic-buying. The only good thing that's come of this is I'm no longer even tempted to look at any limited editions as I know that if I love it, I can't get it when I need it. Wonder when companies are gonna get this? Surely I can't be the only person who does this??

Or am I a weirdo as well as a saddo?!

Limited editions will be on ebay for years.

I was chatting to the manager of my local Elemis counter today. Asked about the jars etc being air tight, and no they are no. The Pro Radiance Cleanser is is an pump so may be. She agreed with me, if the texture and smell are okay then there is no problem in using the product. Natural products do go rancid which is easy to spot.

The little extra cap on a dangly bit of plastic intended to reseal the Elemis Pro-Radience cleanser just annoys me so I snip it off and rely on the ordinary large lid.

Jude xx

I'm one of those saddos who stockpiles. Every time I find something I love, it gets discontinued - hence the panic-buying. The only good thing that's come of this is I'm no longer even tempted to look at any limited editions as I know that if I love it, I can't get it when I need it. Wonder when companies are gonna get this? Surely I can't be the only person who does this??

Or am I a weirdo as well as a saddo?!

I have got a couple of the Judith Williams AD TSV's as I know QVC will hike the price up or get rid of it and it is the first range of which I can use anything.

Latest posts

Back