Vitamix TSV 24/08/13

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

It will probably be about 1100 watts then, as our electricity is 230 volts these days. The motor will probably be just over 1 HP.

I wish they didn't have a "specially made for QVC" model, the reduced guarantee sounds like they made a "cheap and nasty" one to get the price low (well, not actually LOW, but more profit for Q). I think the IW model was a standard one.

It shouldn't dim the lights though, which is why I suggested trying a different socket above. The lights should be on a different mains circuit to the sockets in any case.

I don't see the point in running it for 6 minutes to heat up soup. I would just liquidise the ingredients then put it into a saucepan to heat, much more efficient use of energy.

Its supposed to be a 2hp motor, all the 'Creations' models have a five year warranty, as does the Aspire, as sold by Lakeland and both are on the Vitamix website, with 5 year warranties. Its the Total Nutrition Centre versions which have 7 year warranties, they all have the same motor, main difference is jug size, the TNC has a soft touch handle and controls and is more expensive. I think it was the TNC that Ideal World sold.

1 HP = 746 watts.

A 746 W motor would NOT produce 1 HP as it is not 100% efficient, as some of the power is wasted as heat, and also noise (quite a lot, according to reviews) and there are other losses as well.

Would be very lucky to get 80% efficiency so 1100 watts would be 1.1 HP at most.

Last edited:
1 HP = 746 watts.

A 746 W motor would NOT produce 1 HP as it is not 100% efficient, as some of the power is wasted as heat, and also noise (quite a lot, according to reviews) and there are other losses as well.

Would be very lucky to get 80% efficiency so 1100 watts would be 1.1 HP at most.

From the vitamix website: 2+ Peak Horsepower motor, 220-240 volt, 50 hz, 1100 - 1200 Watts.
Don't know if the word 'peak' makes any difference, physics was never my strongpoint! Just interested to know why they say 2hp if its not. some of the other brands, such as the Omniblend or the Bioblend, claim 3hp with 950 watts, I'm confused.

It may be a bit like the ratings for the audio power output of amplifiers etc. The only TRUE measure is RMS eg 50 watts RMS.

But to make amplifiers, radios etc seem better than they are, they often quote "average" or "peak" power, which can be twice as high as the REAL power. If it just says 50 watts and not 50 watts RMS then it is probably a con and you only get half the power you think you are getting.

Sounds like this is a similar situation. Rolls Royce didn't quote the power of their engines, they just said "adequate" lol.

Interesting! I have a 1100 watt blender and it does not do what the vitamix can do, it is powerful but does not produce smoothies like the vitamin and I suppose thats all that really matters.

Wow, thanks for all that info Strato... really appreciate your knowledge.

OK, I've tried the kettle and watched my kitchen lights and they do dip slightly as I put the kettle on... and that is in another socket so... the Vitamix isn't doing anything unusual to my lights - phew. The lights do dip more with the Vitamix but it is a motor so I kind of understand it.

I'm off to stick my ear plugs in now so that I can make a smoothie :giggle:.

Standing it on a wooden chopping board with a silicon mat underneath has absorbed some of the noise which was echoing down through the worktop and into the space below...

It is tall - I'm tall - don't know how you shorties are managing. I have it on the work surface and when I chuck stuff in it my arm is at shoulder height.

It is tall - I'm tall - don't know how you shorties are managing. I have it on the work surface and when I chuck stuff in it my arm is at shoulder height.

I'm not so tall :envy:... always have been jealous of leggy girls...

I'm OK using the Vitamix UNTIL I have to use the prodder thing... then it's a bit of a stretch BUT I have my trusty folding Lakeland stool which I always drag out so I'm prepared for anything! :giggle:

For all you other shorties, I can recommend this as it tucks away behind the door until you need it and is really sturdy:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/23579/Folding-Step-Stool

OK - after trying lots of the smoothie recipes, it's officially 'a keeper'... I love it.

And it is definitely less noisy when used on a wooden chopping board and silicon mat.

Cleaning so far has been a doddle with using the self cleaning tip although I take on board what other people have said and won't be heating anything too sticky in it as the blade is a bit hard to reach.

Plus, a little fruit and some ice does seem to go a long way...

Reviews on here and elsewhere are impressive! Will have to wait for it to come round again. Hoping that it will!

It is hellishly expensive. I still can't believe I spent that much on a kitchen appliance (well I haven't yet as I took easy pay option). Just used it to whip a small quantity of double cream. I like the fact it is so easy to clean. This tsv was the large 64oz - 2 litre one, there is a slightly smaller one.
OH has just googled it and found out more or less what I paid. He is shocked.

Just made a skinny latte out of powdered skimmed milk, instant coffee and water all whizzed up in the Vitamix. Excellent and saved me calories as I was going to have a muffin. Lunch was soup made from summer squash cooked for 4 mins in microwave, onions chopped in the bit and pan fried for a few mins. Cube of chicken stock, a touch of water to cover the blades and everything whizzed up for about 20 seconds. Lovely creamy soup for 2.

Just made a skinny latte out of powdered skimmed milk, instant coffee and water all whizzed up in the Vitamix. Excellent and saved me calories as I was going to have a muffin. Lunch was soup made from summer squash cooked for 4 mins in microwave, onions chopped in the bit and pan fried for a few mins. Cube of chicken stock, a touch of water to cover the blades and everything whizzed up for about 20 seconds. Lovely creamy soup for 2.

My new one finally arrived today, like the colour, cookbook is so much better than the lakeland one, love the little cup and the little bag it came in.
I made the most gorgeous skinny cappuccino, found the recipe online somewhere..
1 cup skimmed milk, I warm it in the microwave, suppose you could heat it in the Vitamix, 1 tsp instant coffee and a dash of vanilla extract, whizz it in Vitamix, my daughter, who buys Starbucks every day, says its better than Starbucks! Has so much foam you have to spoon it out.

Still in love with the Vitamix. Used every day. Today used to make a green pea sauce for pasta (waitrose recipe)

me too, worth every penny, I'd say i used mine today at least 4 times, made 2 lots of smoothies (not all for me), whipped up eggs for french toast, made salsa, grated cheese, and made a cappuccino.

I still love mine too... I've been buying tropical frozen fruit mixes and making smoothies almost every day.

Soups are fantastically easy.. as long as you microwave the harder veggies for a couple of minutes first... great for using up leftovers.

I bought a cover for mine from Amazon to match the one I had already for my mixer... is that sad?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0073TQ8ZM/?tag=shoppingcom03-21

Mine are in a black and white Chef's Check pattern... she custom made it to the size I provided.

I know most of you will want to keep it uncovered to enjoy looking at it :grin: but I like to keep the dust off - especially with the mixer having the open bowl.

Yep... the love affair is still going strong :heart:.

I don't need a cover for the vitamix as it is so much in use but I could see it being very useful for a mixer. Those covers will be very hard wearing. I have a coin purse made in oil cloth and I'm still using it after 16 years.

Latest posts

Back