Vitamix TSV 15/03/15

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I've had my Vitamix for nearly a year now and I wouldn't want to give it up.

In answer to some of the comments earlier in the thread:

Yes, it's noisy but this can be reduced by placing it on a wooden chopping board or a silicon mat.

Regarding the 'frothy' soups... the whizzing does create some air bubbles BUT all you have to do is turn the speed down to 1 or 2 for a few seconds at the end of the blend and that will beat the air out.

The ice cream mix is always ready well before the motor heats it.

Yes, you can heat soup in a saucepan BUT you'd still need something to blend it first to get a similar result... and the Vitamix is a fab blender for getting a creamy texture.

I also have a Ninja Nutri thingy and a Kenwood processor with all the bells and whistles which are great for some things but no way can they measure up to the power of the Vitamix.

It IS expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I've just spent about 2 hours chopping up potatoes and onions very finely and grating carrots to make a soup for this evening, which is now simmering for the next few hours.

I also did the same yesterday.

It has ALMOST tempted me to buy another one, as I didn't need the dry blender that was in the previous TSV and never used it.

image.jpg
Somebody posted this on QVC's Facebook page. They had left the sticker on an apple they were using in a smoothie.

I've just spent about 2 hours chopping up potatoes and onions very finely and grating carrots to make a soup for this evening, which is now simmering for the next few hours.

I also did the same yesterday.

It has ALMOST tempted me to buy another one, as I didn't need the dry blender that was in the previous TSV and never used it.

Why not give it another go?

Mine stands on a wooden chopping block with a silicone mat just under the blender - it does reduce some of the noise from the motor.

Making soups, I microwave the pototoes or other hard root veggies for a few minutes to partially cook them and find the flavour is better than putting them in entirely raw... bit that's just me.

I use frozen fruit for ice cream and smoothies... even if I buy the strawberries fresh, i still freeze them for a while to get them super cold.

Finally - I will never attempt to make peanut butter... I was on an American forum looking for recipe ideas and several posters had tried peanut butter and then had a devil of a job cleaning the blades. Some had to take it apart to get into the nooks and crannies.

Since reading that, I wash the jug straight after using it and haven't had a problem but won't be trying anything too sticky!

i want it for healthy smoothie drinks. also to make fancy coffee iced drinks and cocktails. ice cream and soup would be a bonus. i love kitchen gadgets and this would look nice next to my kenwood chef titanium

Why not give it another go?

THE £16 POSTAGE I WOULD HAVE SPENT IS ONE REASON

Finally - I will never attempt to make peanut butter... I was on an American forum looking for recipe ideas and several posters had tried peanut butter and then had a devil of a job cleaning the blades. Some had to take it apart to get into the nooks and crannies.

Since reading that, I wash the jug straight after using it and haven't had a problem but won't be trying anything too sticky!

I notice the guest did not even attempt to clean the peanut butter container, he just moved it quickly out of sight lol

If anyone is a Costco member, they have the Vitamix and they allow you to use and return.... as does Lakeland.

Well how can I admit this?

I've bought it!

REASONS:

(1) It was £71 cheaper than the one I returned, which had the dry blender I would probably never use.

(2) My Kenwood Chef and its blender has broken.

(3) I like the white, especially as it has a white fascia, so much easier to read the dials (the others have black fascias, even the red one, as far as I can tell).

(4) It was cheaper than anywhere else I could find it.

(5) I was fed up after spending so much time today and yesterday preparing veg for soups.

Oh well, I'll have to look for my ear defenders!

I am trying to eat more veg, so have been making soups recently. I intend to blend the ingredients in the Vitamix but then heat them in a saucepan. This will save the noise and wear on the Vitamix, and I can add seasonings to taste much easier.

Last edited:
Well how can I admit this?

I've bought it!

REASONS:

(1) It was £71 cheaper than the one I returned, which had the dry blender I would probably never use.

(2) My Kenwood Chef and its blender has broken.

(3) I like the white, especially as it has a white fascia, so much easier to read the dials (the others have black fascias, even the red one, as far as I can tell).

(4) It was cheaper than anywhere else I could find it.

(5) I was fed up after spending so much time today and yesterday preparing veg for soups.

Oh well, I'll have to look for my ear defenders!

I am trying to eat more veg, so have been making soups recently. I intend to blend the ingredients in the Vitamix but then heat them in a saucepan. This will save the noise and wear on the Vitamix, and I can add seasonings to taste much easier.

:mysmilie_468::mysmilie_859:

Um, is Charlie a single parent with 2 children ???

He just mentioned on the Vitamix show that "its changed the way I eat, and the way my children eat ", poor old Michelle rarely gets mentioned. That's one thing about being a 'married' couple, the WE in wedding comes before the I !!!!

He has mentioned his partner and children a lot recently, very funny recently when he asked his partner on air (on his tablet) to buy him something expensive that he fancied (can't remember what).

When she replied he then said that was probably the end of his relationship.

I chop the veg grosso mood by hand. I cook them in a saucepan with water often with a stock cube and then I put it all in the Vitamix to blend it.

Does it end up making everything a bit too pureéd, though. It's obviously a powerful machine, but what if you want to leave a bit of texture in your soups or so forth - can you 'pulse' it properly or does it just end up making everything a bit too smooth.

i bought mine in the berry. cant wait to try the vitamix. i am not eating enough fresh stuff and this will encourage me.

Does it end up making everything a bit too pureéd, though. It's obviously a powerful machine, but what if you want to leave a bit of texture in your soups or so forth - can you 'pulse' it properly or does it just end up making everything a bit too smooth.
I just take a few bits out if I want some texture. Otherwise you could pulse it and then take some out before completing the pureeing. I also purée the soup sometimes and then cook very small soup pasta in it.

Mine arrived at 2pm.

I like the white much more than my previous red, as it is almost all white, not just the top.

When it is running empty, or with just water, it is very quiet. So it is all the crunching of the ingredients that must make all the noise, although I don't understand why a fairly thin soup should make so much noise, I will have to experiment later.

I made soup yesterday manually. It took hours and is much more lumpy than I like, despite chopping things as finely as I could.

So today I will heat up the leftovers in a saucepan, then put it into the Vitamix to make it smooth.

I'd like to hear what other new buyers think of theirs.

i have been so busy. it was delivered this morning and i have not had time to unpack it. what a heavy box

Latest posts

Back