Views on Clogau jewellery, please?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Many years ago, the figure of 9% welsh gold was mentioned. These days, they are careful not to put an amount, probably less than 9%. In a way, I can understand them not committing to any figure; is the amount of welsh gold, the same whether the majority of precious metal is silver or gold? I have bought a crucifix from QVC, because it was a good price. I prefer buying from the website, as you get a £10 voucher if you spend £99, and no p+p. I bought a bracelet, and got a £80 charm free with it, and a voucher. And you get a 2 year guarantee. The website is always having a sale, and has better offers, than QVC. Even when buying my boxer's holistic food, I prefer to go direct to the manufacturer.
I much prefer clogau to pandora, as it is more exclusive. I know quite a few pandora wearers, but not one clogau owner.

Thank you, shopperholic! I'll never be able to charge £400 a day for computer consultancy work, will I? Unlike somebody they once brought in at work, and the advice given was, basically, "press Control + Alt + Delete key"!!! I've bought 2nd-hand and loved the pieces - OK, with 2nd hand there's obviously no bulk buy, so couldn't normally buy another one for your friend, one for Auntie Nellie, etc. but they are individual pieces, which I like. Go in a High St jewellers and you're buying the same as everyone else, and your man was absolutely right, once someone's bought it, its 2nd hand anyway if you sell it on, no matter how many hands it's gone through. Comes down to individual taste, I know, but I love looking at the 2nd hand (or "pre loved"!) window at jewellers shops. But don't let Q know - next time there's a jewellery hour, the presenter will probably make a snotty comment about "much better value than buying 2nd hand". Only surprised they haven't thought of that one before!

I used to be a jewellery snob till I was outside Miltons years ago and saw a gorgeous ring, the man behind the counter showed me the new one and the "second hand" one, the only difference was about £300 so obviously I went for the second hand one. The fella explained it this way, he said if you bought bought two identical rings one new for £500 and second hand one £200 and went to sell them on for say £100, then the new one I've lost £400 and the second hand I've lost £100 because the new buyer won't care if one was brand new, they both become second hand to the buyer.......if that makes sense. And yes it's ok, I'm dumb at computers but yay! We figured it out. :clapping:

The thing is though H, if you see something you like and you want it then buy it, you can't put a price on happiness.

I think that is so true. Particularly with jewellery. I buy with my heart and not my head. I don't want to be ripped off but actually if I love it and I'm happy with the price the fact that there's another similar down the road for £30 less doesn't matter to me.

I'm a huge fan of secondhand pieces. I just don't care that it isn't new. Its new to me! And I love rose gold. Always have. Up until fairly recently buying new rose gold hasn't been easy. Two or three colour pieces maybe but pure rose gold, not so easy. Well as pure as it gets as rose gold is often 9ct.

If you are buying secondhand and like Rose gold, look out for pieces described as old English gold as that has a rosey tone to it.

I haven't bought anything new for a while. I'm working my way through some antique pieces I already own. Getting a repair here and there and a total revamp on some pieces. I had a pretty ruby brooch made into a solitaire ring. It isn't that expensive. I'm having a new Ceylon sapphire put in a gypsy wedding ring and to get the colour I want is going to be under £50. Its a lovely, very wearable 18ct gold band.

I love Clogau, have many, many pieces - some gold and some of the silver... very well made, very unique and I always get comments on them.

Call me soft but I have to "feel" it in my gut when I`m buying jewellery. I can see a window full of lovely jewellery but only one piece will keep drawing me back to it, time after time. I daresay many of us have more than our fair share of trinkets and baubles but I`d hazard a guess that most of us have only a certain few pieces we go to on a regular basis and wear to death. I know I do.
Then there`s always the one that got away, the item we knew we should have bought at the time but didn`t and then regretted it later, only to return and see it`s been sold. Mine was a matching pendant and earrings, in white gold and with an emerald cut diamond in the pendant and each earring. Oh how I regret not buying it and to this day I still remember it and it was over 10 years ago since it was sold. That`s what I meant when I said liking something is ok but keep on searching until you find something you love. I have many items I like but few I actually love and yes, they are the ones I spoke about at the beginning, the ones I wear and wear, truly covet and get my moneys worth from. Whether it costs a little or a lot, if you love it then it doesn`t matter if it`s silver, brass, gold, diamond, paste or platinum, your gut tells you its "the one".

It is a miniscule amount of the Welsh gold that is in the jewellery so it is vastly overpriced.

My grandfather was a jeweller and my uncle continues the business so I don't get hung-up on whether something is new or second hand as I have always been able to have a dig around the stock - IMO its the quality not the age that is most important... and whether it 'calls' to you.

It has always been the case that gold (and other precious metals) are regularly recycled so there is a good chance that any brand new item actually contains 'old' gold so is buying a second hand piece really much different?

https://www.gold.org/supply-and-demand/ups-and-downs-gold-recycling

I'd definitely recommend mooching around some second hand dealers or ebay as the value for money can be fantastic compared to new.

i really like the styles of clogau but i also love black hills gold. i wear these pieces every single day. the designs imo are beautiful. they use nature to capture the look and do it well. its horses for courses. i like some of the bibi stuff to with the yellow gold. its not real gold but bold and nice quality

Right, Tinkerbelle. They say about animals that they choose you first, and I think it's the same with jewellery; if it 'speaks' to you, you love it and you can afford it, why not? I never, ever buy with a view to it being an "investment" - as hinted at on selly telly sometimes! - because 9 times out of 10 it probably won't be, or at least not in my lifetime. Buy it coz yer luv it, I say.

I think that is so true. Particularly with jewellery. I buy with my heart and not my head. I don't want to be ripped off but actually if I love it and9 I'm happy with the price the fact that there's another similar down the road for £30 less doesn't matter to me.

Anyone interested in 2nd-hand jewellery might like
www.cavendishjewellers.co.uk
Not the cheapest 2nd-hand jewellers, I hasten to add, but I succumbed to buying a couple of items online from their website (not expensive pieces) when they had a 25% off sale of 2nd-hand items. Normally wouldn't even think of buying 2nd-hand items online, but they replied promptly to e-mails, gave an honest condition report on any scratches, bumps, etc. - so important with a 2nd-hand piece, I think, they will re-size rings for free, providing the item is suitable for re-sizing, and each item arrived individually and beautifully packaged, gift-wrapped and with a silky green ribbon bow to finish off. The items were exactly as described, and they even contacted me afterwards to see if I was pleased - and I didn't spend a fortune!

I think they are overpricing Clogau gold and are trying to make it seem exclusive because it's from Wales. Gold is gold is gold (Au) in the same way that salt is salt is salt (NaCl). Doesn't matter where the hell it's from! I wouldn't pay over the odds for a ring just 'cos it had a speck of gold from the Valleys!

Julius, I suppose the attraction is that it's something rare, (ie the miniscule fragment of Welsh Gold), and for some people it will be the appeal of having jewellery that has some of the same gold as used in the royal wedding rings of the past (and in last few years Kate's one, I believe). Can't say the royal connection grabs me in any way, but I liked the design of some - not all - of the pieces I saw on Q. But I do agree that it's overpriced, and the general consensus of opinion from fellow forumites seems to reinforce this. I was completely wrong in assuming the jewellery was UK made, but to be fair that's the implication they make on Q (should have known , but they obviously want to play it down). The best thing - as has been suggested on here - would be to come across a 2nd-hand Welsh gold piece in a jewellers, but no joy so far, I'll keep on looking!

I think they are overpricing Clogau gold and are trying to make it seem exclusive because it's from Wales. Gold is gold is gold (Au) in the same way that salt is salt is salt (NaCl). Doesn't matter where the hell it's from! I wouldn't pay over the odds for a ring just 'cos it had a speck of gold from the Valleys!

I think it is about as welsh as anything else made in China.

But if there was a design I liked, at a price i was willing to pay, i might buy.
But so far, I haven't liked any of it enough.

And i must confess that i rather resent the way they constantly harp (pun!) on about the royal connection, the Welshness, the even film their promos in The Prisoner Welsh village.

I consider that false advertising. The guest presenters sport English accents, the work is done in China, and the prices are very high for what is nowadays mainly silver. The Welsh metal % is probably miniscule. No way does the workmanship take as many hours as Ottoman, or the Balinese brand, yet the price difference is jaw dropping.

Vienna, true words. Pity that we are all wise with hindsight!

Call me soft but I have to "feel" it in my gut when I`m buying jewellery. I can see a window full of lovely jewellery but only one piece will keep drawing me back to it, time after time. I daresay many of us have more than our fair share of trinkets and baubles but I`d hazard a guess that most of us have only a certain few pieces we go to on a regular basis and wear to death. I know I do.
Then there`s always the one that got away, the item we knew we should have bought at the time but didn`t and then regretted it later, only to return and see it`s been sold. Mine was a matching pendant and earrings, in white gold and with an emerald cut diamond in the pendant and each earring. Oh how I regret not buying it and to this day I still remember it and it was over 10 years ago since it was sold. That`s what I meant when I said liking something is ok but keep on searching until you find something you love. I have many items I like but few I actually love and yes, they are the ones I spoke about at the beginning, the ones I wear and wear, truly covet and get my moneys worth from. Whether it costs a little or a lot, if you love it then it doesn`t matter if it`s silver, brass, gold, diamond, paste or platinum, your gut tells you its "the one".

Hi everyone, seeing a couple of comments about Clogau jewellery on another thread, reminded me that I've been wanting to ask people's views/experience of buying items from this range. I do like some of the designs and have watched a couple of shows on Q in the past, but I tend to think it's a lot of money for not a lot, if you know what I mean. Presumably it sells on Q. What do others think?
I think the Colgau range is very, very expensive. They were selling a watch for over £500 and it was only gold plated !!!

Having said all that, I do have a Clogau gold ring (I have posted its picture in another thread) Its original price was £600, at sale it is £400 I would not have bought it at either price because however much I liked the ring, I think both prices are far too much.

Here is some of the description of the ring:

"A limited edition Royal Clogau Oak ring features an acorn, oak leaf and our iconic "Tree of Life" motif to celebrate new beginnings.
(It was made to celebrate Prince George's birth...which was NOT the reason why I bought it)
To certify the content of Welsh gold within the ring we have engraved two symbols into the shank - the Clogau logo and the Welsh Dragon.
We also give you a Certificate of Authenticity/
Engraved with "Dathlu", Welsh for "celebration"."

I had wished it was cheaper, because even though I can afford to buy it at its original price, I thought it was such a silly price but when Q had it at about £260,as an OTO I thought it was a reasonable price, so I ordered it.

When it came, I found it to be well made and the packed well.
I like the ring, it is a solid ring, unlike the hollowed out rings that the Q sells.
It has a tiny diamond, fair enough it is only 0.02 carats, but it is a good diamond.
I like acorns.I have a rose gold necklace with with some acorns on it (not from Clogau)

I bought the ring because I liked it and I liked the inscription of "Dathlu" ...I was celebrating ,my life not once but twice.
Every time I wear that ring, I will remember that God has given me two chances against all odds and how lucky I am.

I buy what I like, and what appeals to me but I am not so silly to buy anything at silly prices.
I have a few Yong Kim pieces, because I like the soft material (modal) I buy them at TSV or as OTO, or if I buy them at original prices, I only keep them if they look alright on me. I refuse to buy some of her items because they are at silly prices.

the price is expensive, especially for silver jewellery with only a tiny snippet of gold. You could easily buy a gold ring for that, especially 2nd-hand. But as you say, if you love it, then go for it.

I think the Colgau range is very, very expensive. They were selling a watch for over £500 and it was only gold plated !!!

Having said all that, I do have a Clogau gold ring (I have posted its picture in another thread) Its original price was £600, at sale it is £400 I would not have bought it at either price because however much I liked the ring, I think both prices are far too much.

Here is some of the description of the ring:

"A limited edition Royal Clogau Oak ring features an acorn, oak leaf and our iconic "Tree of Life" motif to celebrate new beginnings.
(It was made to celebrate Prince George's birth...which was NOT the reason why I bought it)
To certify the content of Welsh gold within the ring we have engraved two symbols into the shank - the Clogau logo and the Welsh Dragon.
We also give you a Certificate of Authenticity/
Engraved with "Dathlu", Welsh for "celebration"."

I had wished it was cheaper, because even though I can afford to buy it at its original price, I thought it was such a silly price but when Q had it at about £260,as an OTO I thought it was a reasonable price, so I ordered it.

When it came, I found it to be well made and the packed well.
I like the ring, it is a solid ring, unlike the hollowed out rings that the Q sells.
It has a tiny diamond, fair enough it is only 0.02 carats, but it is a good diamond.
I like acorns.I have a rose gold necklace with with some acorns on it (not from Clogau)

I bought the ring because I liked it and I liked the inscription of "Dathlu" ...I was celebrating ,my life not once but twice.
Every time I wear that ring, I will remember that God has given me two chances against all odds and how lucky I am.

I buy what I like, and what appeals to me but I am not so silly to buy anything at silly prices.
I have a few Yong Kim pieces, because I like the soft material (modal) I buy them at TSV or as OTO, or if I buy them at original prices, I only keep them if they look alright on me. I refuse to buy some of her items because they are at silly prices.

Latest posts

Back