Ummmmmm

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
A couple of thoughts on the Gem Day

1. there was a lot of what I call "non-gems" like turquoise, opals, sea bamboo (eh ?), and pearls, and not a lot of 'proper' gems like rubies, sapphires, emeralds, aquamarines etc.
2. £200 for a SILVER pendant with a blue topaz stone !!!!!!! I'm still recovering from that one !!
3. a few bits going on advanced orders as soon as they were shown, which shows they want to know how many orders to fulfil before they put their own order in

Have bought a lot of jewellery in the past, but wont be buying any more - not at those prices.

Mmmm bit out of my price range

Know what you mean but I did like the Kyanite rings today but did nt succumb mainly because bank account is empty lol........ was hoping my other half would take the hint and get me one I was loudly oohing and aahing over on easy pay for my b day this week but think im out of luck ........... as he went into to town later and returned with a primark bag lol so not exactly what i hoped for lol. I do think the jewellery has jumped up in price lately and im sure the choice is not so varied. I dont see why they could nt have included some silver set jewellery today

I really can't see why people would pay so much for jewellery. You buy it because it appeals to your sense of aesthetics so why feel you have to spend hundreds, or even thousands to get it? Some of these expensive rings didn't look any nicer than items you can find in any store for £10 - £20. You have to be an expert to know the good faux gems from real now. I'd love to know how these companies justify the prices they charge. And the real items don't hold their value anyway. I used to have some nice real gems bought from a friend who was a jeweller but when it came to selling stuff to get a bit of cash, he didn't want to know. Scrap weight value was the best anyone would do. Wouldn't waste my money now. I'm amazed that anyone with that sort of money to spend would be watching QVC. I appreciate that not everyone can get to shops but if you're putting down the sort of money that counts as an investment, you'd want the whole treated-like-royalty experience in a shop. Pearls always amaze me too. No one used to wear real pearls, royalty and first ladies alike, and everyone thought they looked great. Kenneth Jay Lane faux pearls look just as good and you're not scared to wear them out. My son puts in in perspective when he calls them "oyster s**t" :D

I watched parts of gem day,and thought it seemed to be going very well.Nothing was my choice but there certainly seemed to be lots of sellouts.Then I clocked on they a huge majority were on advanced orders and I reckon they had really low stocks of the others.

On a different note,I was looking through the website at the diamonique (I confess to loving a bit of eek!!) I cannot believe the gold prices of eek..............no wonder they don't have many and are not seen on air!!

PS I did quite like the diamond ring OTO,but I didn't buy,and thats all that took my fancy! bet I could buy it in an eek!

I did notice that the price of AAA Tanzanite on QVC has shot throught the roof , nearly £2000 for a 1.8ct tanzanite and .2ct diamond ring ! A couple of years ago I bought a 2.2ct tanzanite and .42ct diamond ring from Rocks & Co for £699 a beautiful colour as well. I also thought that some of the diamond rings were expensive particularly as they are set in 9ct gold and we have no idea of the diamond colour or clarity . I think some people out there totally trust QVC and buy all their jewellery from them without doing any comparisons .

I didn't buy anything yesterday but I am soooo drawn to pretty sparkly things. I can't help it. Jewellery makes me smile. And over the years I suspect a good 60/70% of my QVC purchases are jewellery.

I love rose gold and coloured stones. There was a stunning rubellite ring yesterday but at the minute getting a few inherited and existing pieces repaired/remodelled so buying new pieces just isn't in the budget.

I personally think QVC prices are pretty good given prices of similar stones elsewhere.

I do wear costume jewellery but not often and I do think with jewellery you get what you pay for on the whole. You can pay more for trendy names and styles but that's just how it is. I'm not a trendy girl really. I like fairly simple classic looking pieces.

To me there is an inherent value to a piece of jewellery that is more to
do with how much I love it rather than how much it cost. I'll sell broken pieces for scrap but I hold on to everything else.

If you have pieces you no longer want or wear it's worth thinking of having them altered. I'm having a Victorian garnet brooch made into a ring and because they're using the gold in the brooch and it's my design it's costing about £40.

As Victorian jewellery became the heirlooms of the future, I wonder if the QVC (Queen Victoria's Castoffs) pieces will have the same emotional value 100 years from now - if they last that long !!!!!!

Latest posts

Back