Ugh! Birkensicks

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Horses for courses on this one - I really don't like Birkenstock or Crocs, I'm more of an M&S Limited Collection sandal girl, but my best friend swears that she can only do her London commute April - September in her Birkis, they are the most comfortable footwear she's ever owned, and I think they go really well with all her Spring/Summer linens. I remember when I gave birth all the midwives were wearing Crocs - they too said they were unfeasibly comfortable (and conveniently washable, don't like to think about that bit...:confused:)

I adore my birkies and have about 10 pairs (only the single strap ones though) in every colour. I can walk miles in them and drive in them too. Love love love them.

As for Crocs................... aaaaaaggh. OMG what are they all about. The ultimate in bad taste.

I've got pretty feet. No lumps, bumps, bunions, callouses, hard skin, dry skin, funny toes or dropped arches. The main reason? Apart from genetics, I've never crammed them into pointy, high uncomfortable shoes. I love my Birkis!!!! :heart:

I've had Birkenstocks for about 5/6 yrs now and adore them but only ever have the single strap Madrid or Molina styles as I have small feet and don't want anything that looks too clumpy. Never had to wear them in, always wear them in summer and can schlep around all day in them they are soooo comfortable. Summer wouldn't be the same without them!!Even my very sceptical sister bought a pair last summer and wore them to death and dare I say it, is a convert.

Just ordered 2 new colours in the Molina...... :redface:

I love my Birkies and I have about 6 pairs. I have 3 pairs in the 3 strap, two in the Gizeh, and two in the single strap Molina style. Obviously they are not for everyone but to say that they are ugly is a bit strong!! I personally think the Crocs are UGLY!! But we are all entitled to our opinion and that is what I love about this forum we can all be honest with each other!!

Blimey Donna I found totally the opposite!!
I've small-ish skinny feet (normally size 5) but am a size 4 in Crocs! Might depend on the style you get though, & quite often there is no rhyme of reason for the variation in sizing of shoes within a range, think a lot of the time it's trial and error which is why I rarely buy any footwear on-line.

Yes I found that really weird too. The first pair I ever bought was at a proper Crocs shop, the guy explained how they work. You should not feel them touching your toes or the sides of your feet. I am a size 3 and I tried on the kid's and they seemed OKay, but he made me put on a size 4 and they felt so wide and big. But once you wear and walk round in them its fine, never come off.

Oh and Crocs are made in different places so where made can effect the sizing too. China and Italy are narrower than the ones made in the USA. All mine are China, so that could be another reason.

Yes I found that really weird too. The first pair I ever bought was at a proper Crocs shop, the guy explained how they work. You should not feel them touching your toes or the sides of your feet. I am a size 3 and I tried on the kid's and they seemed OKay, but he made me put on a size 4 and they felt so wide and big. But once you wear and walk round in them its fine, never come off.

Oh and Crocs are made in different places so where made can effect the sizing too. China and Italy are narrower than the ones made in the USA. All mine are China, so that could be another reason.

Mine may well be US Donna which would explain it, bought them in Schuh about 3 years ago but didn't get any advice, I just tried a few pairs on. But mine are actually a shoe/ballet pump style and if I had got a bigger size then they would have fallen off me!

I would rather go out in my slippers than wear Birkenstocks or Crocs,they are that big and flat looking it would be like wearing the boxes the shoes came in. I'll stick with my flyflots..:mysmilie_59:

I like my Birkis find them very comfy but again I do have small feet, hate Crocs with a passion think they are just awful I did try a pair of the mary jane style crocs and they were so uncomfy they went in the bin

Shoes are strange though what one person finds great another person really doesnt like, I cant wear M&S shoes yet others swear by them. At the moment I am wearing my skechers tone up trainers now if you want clumpy you have it in them but they are the most comfy things I have ever had on my feet once I got used to the strange shape. Dont think they are actually toning anything really but you do have to walk and stand straight in them

fit flops anyone

Does anyone get on with the fit flops (proper ones not the fakes) i had some last summer and had to sell them on ebay,thought i would give it another go this year, oh dear spent £50 on some black sparkly ones and although they are very soft i just can't seem to walk in them do you have to get used to them like birkenstocks ?

I have a few pairs of birkenstocks,i can only wear the gizeh style and get on with them fine.
Should i stick with the fit flops a bit longer or will i be putting them on ebay again !
Just my opinion feet don't seem to get hot or sweaty in the birkis,but the fit flops do get a bit slippy after a while.

I like my birkenstocks and live in them in the summer.I have lots of trouble with "shoes" as such - and my birki's are just soooo comfortable.I can walk and drive miles in them.

I agree that they are not the most prettiest shoe - I prefer the white soles as I think they look better and less clumpy,and some look nicer than others. - and I agree that I've got sandals from clarks,that are just as comfy and prettier.

however I'm on my feet all day,and birki's suit my lifestyle.I'd never wear them with a skirt or dress and qvc will never convince me to do so - and I do think the price of them have gone up on qvc.With postage,I noticed today you're looking about £45 for a pair of gizeh's - and my orginal madrids from qvc were abut £28 at the time - and today I notice they will sell for abut £33 without adding the postage.

PS I also do have a pair of fitflops and like them.They are comfy - but don't think they're anything special............don't like them enugh or am impressed enugh to buy another pair:cheeky:

Does anyone get on with the fit flops (proper ones not the fakes) i had some last summer and had to sell them on ebay,thought i would give it another go this year, oh dear spent £50 on some black sparkly ones and although they are very soft i just can't seem to walk in them do you have to get used to them like birkenstocks ?

I have a few pairs of birkenstocks,i can only wear the gizeh style and get on with them fine.
Should i stick with the fit flops a bit longer or will i be putting them on ebay again !
Just my opinion feet don't seem to get hot or sweaty in the birkis,but the fit flops do get a bit slippy after a while.

I have 7 pairs of FitFlops and 2 more pairs on order! I adore them and live in them, they are the most comfortable things I've ever worn and I love the leg firming, too. I have balance problems and they have really helped my stability. Until they were invented, I only ever wore Scholls, have never liked Birkis, too clumpy. I am thinking of getting Crocs for the beach only, wouldn't be seen walking the streets in them!

Last edited:
Until a few years ago I thought they were strange, but I love them for comfort. I wear clog styles in winter and i even have a few proper Birkenstock shoes.

I love Birkenstocks and I also wear Crocs for certain tasks. I think I look just fine, and couldn't care less what anyone thinks :happy:

I love my Birkis and my Crocs during the Summer and my Emus in the Winter, I am diabetic so it's really important that I don't get blisters which I never get with any of these.I suppose it comes down to personal tase and practicallity.

I wear Crocs for work and they are without doubt the most comfy ugly shoes I have ever worn.
I love my Birkis..but the rule is only with trousers.
Fit Flops I tried but I thought they looked horrible on the feet and the toe post rubs.
I have tried Fly Flots too which are without doubt very comfy but so old fashioned looking and devoid of style,I just couldn't do it!!

I used to think birkenstocks were horrid and then I succumbed and bought a pair. They were so comfy I got another pair. I have stuck to pale colours, as think this makes them a bit more feminine. I suffer with my feet (oh that makes me sound so ancient!). I have a painful bunion on the left foot, and also I have very tender skin which seems to blister a lot. I love summer but foot wise it is a bit of a nighmare for me, always seem to have blisters and sore toes apart from when I wear my birkies. As for Crocs, NO, NO NO

I've never owned Birkenstocks as I can't bring myself to buy any - I take a 6 normally and the Birkis do seem to be so huge! I love my FlyFlots and wear the clogs round the house all the time instead of slippers..they do prettier styles for outdoor summer wear. When I was young and worked as a machinist in a factory we all lived and died in our Scholls but I've not had any of those for years. I've fancied trying the FitFlops but don't go a bundle on toe-post sandals so I think they're out...

Latest posts

Back