Tova foot in mouth

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scouser

Registered Shopper
Did anyone else hear the apology Catherine had to make at the end of the 8pm Tova programme? " I apologise if anything that we said may have upset people" Then something about transatlantic words not having the same meaning. Tova looked confused and was heard saying "I hope it was nothing I said" Then the presentation ended. The problem was I think Tova may well have lit up the complaints switchboard. She said, when demonstrating the Signature balm, that " This morning Jill went positively sp***ic over this" Oh dear, it's not just Tova's wig that slipped tonight.

Oopsie, that will have set the BPers alight no doubt!
I didn't hear her say that but it means something totally different in the US, massively excited for example! :rolleyes:

Wondered if it was in common parlance in USA

Well Tova may be a teensy bit odd & wear extremely dodgy looking wigs on occasions but she has lovely manners & I'm sure would be absolutely mortified if she had even the faintest inkling that she'd just said something even remotely offensive on air!

('Course if all the types that instantly leap on switchboards to complain about such things stopped to think for a moment they could probably have worked out themselves that something 'didn't quite add up' but they never do.......!) :doh:

According to Wikipedia: "In the UK [spastic] can be considered an offensive way to refer to the disabled, while in the US it is more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness and carries few offensive connotations."

And:

"The difference in understanding of the term between British and American audiences was highlighted by an incident with the golfer Tiger Woods; after losing the US Masters Tournament in 2006, he said, "I was so in control from tee to green, the best I've played for years... But as soon as I got on the green I was a spaz." His remarks were broadcast and drew no attention in America. But they were widely reported in England, where they caused offence and were condemned by a representative of Scope and Tanni Grey-Thompson, a prominent paralympian. On learning of the furore over his comments, Woods' representative promptly apologized."

So, although the word isn't used in a derogatory sense by Americans, it doesn't sound like it was a terribly apt way to describe Jill's reaction.

Learning what words NOT to use in a country you're trying to sell things to, is one of the first rules of business. (Mazda LaPuta, anyone? Spanish for 'wh0re'.)

Actually, I noticed Tova kept 'losing' her words. Perhaps the Botox has gone too deep...

tova has got perfect manners some people just live to complain and moan:tongue2:

I think it's virtually impossible to know every word that has a different meaning and can be interpreted differently in another country. As someone else mentioned anyone with a bit of common sense would realise that Tova wouldn't mean to cause offence.

What's that old saying? Something like "two countries divided by a common language".

I did hear her say it. Waiting for another show to come on in the break I turned to watch a few minutes. Catherine accidently killed over the painting of Doran Gray oops Tova. It was just after that if I remember. They were doing the pearl signature balm stuff. I thought, "Did she say what I thought she said?" Catherine made no twitch of having heard it at all.

Why does everyone get in such a twist over a word !!! I totally agree with other comments, about those who ring in to complain. Fear of offending has reached ridiculous levels now. I am offended by the sight of male bare feet in sandals, but I dont start screaming about my 'uman rights ! Incidentally, I have a life long friend who was born with a malfunctioning leg at birth, AND she always referred to herself as a "spas" - so who was offended there, me or her ??

It killed me every time Laura Geller said she was out during the day and 'touching herself up'!!! Meaning of course re-applying her makeup but AY actually told her off so many times for saying it that LG now stops and thinks before putting it another way. Personally I found it hilarious and endearing and of course we all knew what she meant. What on earth would she be telling us she was doing something else entirely when trying to sell her makeup??! :giggle:

Tx

[/CENTER]21527]It killed me every time Laura Geller said she was out during the day and 'touching herself up'!!! Meaning of course re-applying her makeup but AY actually told her off so many times for saying it that LG now stops and thinks before putting it another way. Personally I found it hilarious and endearing and of course we all knew what she meant. What on earth would she be telling us she was doing something else entirely when trying to sell her makeup??! :giggle:

Tx[/QUOTE]

:grin::grin::grin::grin:
What about when Ali Young said when stating colour shade she wears she said she was pale faced and :wait2: frigid.

Clearly this was an accident on Tova's part. If people did complain, not realising that it was an innocent mistake and not a silly slur on those with disabilities, then QVC did the right thing by saying sorry. The problem with political correctness is that what is ok in one culture or even one person's opinion can be abhorrent to another. I think we should always attempt to be culturally sensitive, understand that where we draw the line is not necessarily in the same place as we draw our own, and always be ready to apologise if offence (intentional or not) has been caused.

thought Catherine handled it well and I bet off air she explained to Tova how her innocent comment could be misinterpreted over here without causing Tova any distress. Both ladies have impeccable manners IMO.

Clearly this was an accident on Tova's part. If people did complain, not realising that it was an innocent mistake and not a silly slur on those with disabilities, then QVC did the right thing by saying sorry. The problem with political correctness is that what is ok in one culture or even one person's opinion can be abhorrent to another. I think we should always attempt to be culturally sensitive, understand that where we draw the line is not necessarily in the same place as we draw our own, and always be ready to apologise if offence (intentional or not) has been caused.

Of course what I was trying to say was someone else draws the line is not necessarily in the same place as we draw our own.

It killed me every time Laura Geller said she was out during the day and 'touching herself up'!!! Meaning of course re-applying her makeup but AY actually told her off so many times for saying it that LG now stops and thinks before putting it another way. Personally I found it hilarious and endearing and of course we all knew what she meant. What on earth would she be telling us she was doing something else entirely when trying to sell her makeup??! :giggle:

Tx

The other 'americanism' that presenters try to talk over is when they are selling bum bags and the US guest refers to them as 'fanny packs' :giggle:

:tongue2::hi::cheeky:

What about Kim talking of her team in Canada thinking about the QVC customers.

She says " We are feeling you !!!! "

:angel::tongue2:

I remember the gorgeous Timber from smasbox being made apologise 3 times in 20 mins for using the expression " a really savage tan"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back