Tommie Copper TSV 31/07/24

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought the last TSV, not because I need compression socks but because they were long ones and the BA said they’d stay up. I often wear maxi skirts in winter and can’t be doing with the faff of wearing opaque tights so thought that knee high socks would be more convenient.

However, despite washing them as per instructions they didn’t stay up. They didn’t fall down to my ankles but they certainly didn’t stay in place, so that’s another brand I can forget about.

Well! Socks!! I am going on a long haul flight soon, do I need these ?!

Do you get swollen ankles? If so, you do.

I have the TC compression socks but they wouldn't have been up to the job for me. I used the Boots flight socks. They're a completely different product and did prevent the swollen ankles I'd had on previous flights despite using 'compression' socks. The Boots ones are difficult to get on but, boy, do they work.

The TC socks are great if you get 'heavy legs' or swelling in the heat. I've worn mine to bed and they do help as well as give a comforting feeling like others have said. M&S have sold cosy 'energising' knee highs the last few years. I have long legs and the first ones were great - long, comfortable, stayed up, did feel mildly energising - but last year's were not quite long enough for me. Two out of the four pairs of TC were also a little short and didn't stay up well, too.

It is just a longer flight than I have undertaken for some time (around 15 hours) & am looking at anything that can prepare me.I can get swollen ankles, did on a long coach trip last year, but no more than probably most would do.At least you can more around a bit more on a plane.

It is just a longer flight than I have undertaken for some time (around 15 hours) & am looking at anything that can prepare me.I can get swollen ankles, did on a long coach trip last year, but no more than probably most would do.At least you can more around a bit more on a plane.

I'd definitely go with the Boots flight socks. For your health if not for swelling. They're a very fine knit that you can wash and dry very quickly at your destination ready for the journey home.

Where are you going?

Alter Ego, thanks for your advice I have looked at them online.My prep. for such trips starts early, going mid October! X

No sitting on the suitcase at midnight to close it these days packing takes place days earlier.No travel irons or steamers either, if clothes are creased they stay creased.

I'm with you there.

My iron rarely gets used these days at home. I'm a bit lazy but I also lack the co-ordination and stamina to stand at the board for long anyway. My mum had a very nifty fold down board with a seat that I wish I'd kept.

If I go again I doubt I'll take a kettle. I'll miss my tea but the hassle of getting fresh milk is too much and doesn't taste great. I refuse to pay for an empty fridge, which seems to be the norm in many hotels these days, and I'm sure as hell not paying mini bar prices to move something to make room.

I miss the manners and decency of times gone by but I don't miss the stress of presenting at the airport and destination looking like I'm going to a funeral or an important business meeting. I went to Spain with my mum, her friend and daughter in the late 70s. I remember little of it other than mum getting stressed about dressing formally for the flight and her lecture to her friend about taking water purification tablets. We were fine but mum's friend and daughter spent most of the holiday in their bathroom. Mum's prepping paid off despite all the scoffing her friend did.

Oh, and being groped by waiters when I was sent for bread for them when they started eating again. I was 11. The peculiar and exclusively female sense of guilt and shame that stopped me reporting the incident to my mum as I somehow thought I'd done something wrong and it was my fault.

Oh, and our souvenirs gone pinched by someone on the bus on the way back to the airport. It was a crap holiday.

I travel on my own now, well in an organised group with a tour manager.I always make friends with others but can also ‘do my own thing’.I did go on a trip which included someone I knew previously.Making arrangements to meet up, some ‘crossed lines’ I decided no more!The last tour I went on I was the only ‘single’ but I mix in with the group & try not to make anyone think I need to ‘tag along ‘ with them.

I applaud your bravery, SF. So many singles miss out by not feeling they can travel alone. I was always independent and would have no problem travelling anywhere on my own. I'd enjoy it more than travelling with a group of friends more often than not. Being able to do your own thing is so underrated.

Obviously, a lone woman can be a target so we have to use common sense - it's a sad fact of life that there are scumbags out there. I'm always careful if Mr. AE has left me alone for a bit but most people are helpful or at the very least don't hassle me. I have to add that this is how I've found people abroad but not here. I use crutches and while some are kind enough to stop and ask if I want help, others are downright rude.

I've had doors slammed in my face and been barged into more times than I've had hot dinners in this country (almost always by men in their early 20's to 40s). One guy let a door slam in my face one day so I muttered 'arseh*le' but he heard me and turned around as I was struggling through the door and aggressively got in my face. His girlfriend had to pull him away. I felt sorry for her and wished her luck with him, which also did not go down well with him.

I need help and support now. I also need wing mirrors hazard warning lights on my crutches. I can be a royal pain whilst out as I get 'Parkinson's freeze' and literally freeze when my brain gets confused. You know that little dance people do when they walk towards each other and both go the same way? I don't. I just freeze. It's not deliberate, just the way my brain handles it. It's a bit frustrating/annoying for the person who thinks I'm going to move but I simply can't. I have a weird neurological condition that gets treated like MS but it isn't quite the same. My neuro is familiar with the freeze in Parkinson's but has never seen it in other conditions. I must be special :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You are obviously dealing with so many health situations AE and yes people can be downright rude and unhelpful.Theydon’t know the problems they may have to face in the future.I never take it for granted that my mobility & health as far as I am dealing with at the moment let’s me push on while I can.I am always conscious of the moment my partner was given a terminal prognosis and in those few seconds life changed.I was ‘pushed out of the nest’ and went into jobs where I had to get up and go! There was no ‘can’t do’, but now long term it has given me a far greater confidence which I am drawing on now.

Tommie Copper 4 Pack EcoWick Compression Socks
Item Number: 739380
QVC Price £90.00
Todays Special Value Price £29.97
P&P £3.95

Feeling better can be as simple as getting dressed, with this four-pair pack of EcoWick Compression Socks from Tommie Copper to keep your feet cool and comfortable. Boasting innovative features like moisture-wicking fabric, anti-odour technology and breathable air channels, along with a clever compression design, they'll help your feet stay happy all day.
A treat for sore feet - these soothing socks offer targeted compression designed to help provide temporary relief to your feet, as well as your calves if choosing the Wide or Regular options, making them especially beneficial for long days on the move and for fitness workouts.
Ideal in the heat - combining an extra-small yarn and mesh panels with strategically placed air and wicking channels, so air gets in and sweat gets out, these socks are also breathable and will work to keep your feet dry and comfortable on warm days, on airplanes or during hot flushes.
Hidden comfort - you may not be able to see it, but the fabric of these socks is infused with Tommie Copper’s patented Znergy technology, designed for its anti-odour and sweat-wicking properties and made up of copper and zinc. Each sock also has the added benefit of cushioning at the heel and toe.
Tailored to you - not only can you pick from four sizes and four fresh colours, but you can also choose whether you'd prefer the Ankle socks, a brand new option to QVC, or the over-the-calf socks in a Regular fit or a Wide fit. Finding the most suitable pairs for you has never been easier!
  • EcoWick fibres for added ventilation and breathability
  • Anti-odour technology designed to last up to 50 washes
  • Znergy technology: copper and zinc infused
  • UltraGuard abrasion-resistant technology for durability
  • Targeted compression
  • Cushioned heel and toe
  • Moisture-wicking fabric
  • Designed to provide UPF 50
  • Designed to fit up to 50.8cm (20")
  • 88% polyester, 9% nylon, 3% elastane
  • Machine washable
Fit options:
  • Ankle (NEW)
  • Regular
  • Wide
Colour options:
  • Basic
  • Grey
  • Pink
  • Green
Size options (see size guide attached for more details):
  • Small (UK Women's 3 - 4.5, Men's 2.5 - 4)
  • Medium (UK Women's 5 - 7.5, Men's 4.5 - 7)
  • Large (UK Women's 8 - 10.5, Men's 7.5 - 10)
  • XL (UK Women's 11, Men's 10.5 - 13)
Contains:
  • 4 x Pairs of EcoWick Compression Socks
All measurements are approximate

I had it on in the background this morning, but looked up when I heard Eilidh call the brand Tommy Cooper before quickly apologising. So it’s not just us, it’s QVC presenters as well.

I was ok described compression socks by the practice nurse at our surgery due to a deep cut not healing and unable to be stitched or glued.
They caused me all sorts of problems due to being allergic to whatever they were made from. My legs were bruised due to the difficulty of getting them on an off as well as the skin getting inflamed. I am allergic to plasters and elastic ,I have to get diabetic socks for the winter,knickers elastic causes me problems sometimes as well.

You are obviously dealing with so many health situations AE and yes people can be downright rude and unhelpful.Theydon’t know the problems they may have to face in the future.I never take it for granted that my mobility & health as far as I am dealing with at the moment let’s me push on while I can.I am always conscious of the moment my partner was given a terminal prognosis and in those few seconds life changed.I was ‘pushed out of the nest’ and went into jobs where I had to get up and go! There was no ‘can’t do’, but now long term it has given me a far greater confidence which I am drawing on now.

Oh, SF. I'm so sorry.

While being pushed out of your comfort zone can ultimately be good for you, it certainly doesn't feel that way at the time. I'm sorry you've gone through so much, happy you've come out the other side a stronger person.

I was ok described compression socks by the practice nurse at our surgery due to a deep cut not healing and unable to be stitched or glued.
They caused me all sorts of problems due to being allergic to whatever they were made from. My legs were bruised due to the difficulty of getting them on an off as well as the skin getting inflamed. I am allergic to plasters and elastic ,I have to get diabetic socks for the winter,knickers elastic causes me problems sometimes as well.

These socks may help you, Patsy. They're nowhere near as hard to put on as the prescribed socks. The elastic may cause a reaction but you have the MBG if that happens.

I don't know if these are the same as the last lot but they were soft and comfortable. The mild compression helped. However, they didn't keep my feet warm but nothing does so I didn't expect miracles.

Have you tried laser-cut knickers? Several brands sell them. Sloggi and M&S are two off the top of my head. The Sloggi ones don't have any elastic so you have to get the size right or they'll roll up or fall down. I think the M&S ones have waistband elastic but they might have changed or I might be thinking of a different type.

Does the Lycra in the body of knickers (assuming you've tried knickers with it) bother your skin or just normal leg/waistband elastic?

These socks may help you, Patsy. They're nowhere near as hard to put on as the prescribed socks. The elastic may cause a reaction but you have the MBG if that happens.

I don't know if these are the same as the last lot but they were soft and comfortable. The mild compression helped. However, they didn't keep my feet warm but nothing does so I didn't expect miracles.

Have you tried laser-cut knickers? Several brands sell them. Sloggi and M&S are two off the top of my head. The Sloggi ones don't have any elastic so you have to get the size right or they'll roll up or fall down. I think the M&S ones have waistband elastic but they might have changed or I might be thinking of a different type.

Does the Lycra in the body of knickers (assuming you've tried knickers with it) bother your skin or just normal leg/waistband elastic?
Oh thanks for this. I needed strong compression to pull the wound together. It's just mainly the waistband that bothers me, I've found the wide waistband knickers are more comfortable for me . I've got some from Primark and they are fine but will have a look at Marks and Sloggi.👍👍

Latest posts

Back