Titanic Coin

• Thread starter Deleted member 3549
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm not interested in buying commemorative anything to be honest but I do love Edwardian style jewellery. I watched a bit of the show and there was one stunning ring and an equally stunning bangle. I didn't buy either one. I think the Titanic jewels belong to sea.

have always been very moved by the tragedy of Titanic , I think this has something to do with the fact that there are photographic records of the ship and people who sailed on that terrible maiden voyage which to me gives a particular resonance. Highly inappropriate of QVC to use the anniversary to flog some trinkets. So many who died were "ordinary" working people too, so how is it right to be recalling some kind of spurious glamour with the offerings that were on the show?

The show sold out well before time, so there were an awful lot of people who had no qualms whatsoever in buying; but I really would love to know what stock levels qvc have of this and other stuff when it supposedly all sells out quickly.

Shows finish early if they are not selling out as well and QVC are unlikely to tell us that no one is buying what's on offer. Just a thought.

In Belfast where she was built, they did do events last year.

The Discovery Channel has been doing different documentaries each night at 8pm. The one about the recovery of the bodies at sea was very interesting. The methods used then are still in use today to ID bodies and their belongings.

I did not see the last episode of the Len Goodman series. Did it mention that Captain Smith had a major accident with the Olympic he ripped a great big hole in her and blamed the royal navy cruiser he crashed into because he was going too fast? He did the same with Titanic warned about the ice field but kept going at full speed regardless.

Thanks Donna - shame we didn't get to see more of the Belfast events.

I'm not sure now if Len mentioned the Capt Smith thing, I think he did. I've watched a few programs now and they are all mingling into each other! I also saw one about a cover up - apparently there's a suggestion that Titanic was the rebadged ship that was rammed and it was intended that they would sink it as an insurance job and keep the real Titanic (renamed) so they kept the perfect ship and got rid of the repaired one.

Seems the press were as unscrupulous in those days as they are today - photographing people pretendingt they were survivors when they weren 't along with making horrible accusations about Mr Ismay, who didn't look like a monster in the photo I saw of him at all. Quite the opposite. I don't think any of us can make judgements about him when we have never been faced with certain death as he was.

As for Edwardian jewellery, I do love many things Edwardian....I just don't like the way it's coupled with a tragedy.
There are better ways to sell Edwardian jewellery I'm sure.
How about an Upstairs Downstairs tribute....or isn't it American enough? :blush:

Am I the only one that doesn't understand this post by GG?
It was soon after my little rants, so I presume it was aimed at me? Not sure what I've done though - apologies if I've offended.

No, Lottie, I didn't understand it either.

Thinking it may have had something to do with an earlier post about jumping on commemorative bandwagons. Some people saunter onto commemorative bandwagons rather than jump but either way its buying commemorative tat so if the cap fits.... GG please correct me if I am wrong.

Kat, I would click thanks under your post, but for some reason, there's no thanks/like etc buttons under your post!
There is under the other posts :thinking:

Hmmmm I backed out and came back in then refreshed and they've appeared now!

I havent worked out how to like or dislike posts using Tapatalk. I would do it if I knew how, its rare that I use the laptop these days. But thank you Lottie.

I feel very uncomfortable about all this titanic stuff.I know its only replicas - but I wouldn't want them in my house!

Ditto, whilst learning about history is a good thing desacrating 'graves' and lifting artifacts is immoral.

Same goes with all the ancient civilizations (read as Egypt etc). It's just disrespectful in my book.

Ditto, whilst learning about history is a good thing desacrating 'graves' and lifting artifacts is immoral.

Same goes with all the ancient civilizations (read as Egypt etc). It's just disrespectful in my book.

Yup, but I suppose the intentions were to preserve the ancient egyptian artefacts as previous tombs were robbed when they were discovered.
However, now Egypt is more dedicated to preserving its history I can understand Zahi Hawass's desire to repatriate the Egyptian relics :wave:

Yup, but I suppose the intentions were to preserve the ancient egyptian artefacts as previous tombs were robbed when they were discovered.
However, now Egypt is more dedicated to preserving its history I can understand Zahi Hawass's desire to repatriate the Egyptian relics :wave:

Can't see that happening. Elgin Marbles comes to mind!

Now to be truthful the Turks where smashing the place up. So Elgin asked for them before this happened. I would say every museum has stolen goods.

As a child I remember the shrunken heads in the Ulster Museum, they are not there any more. The original people asked for them back and got them. Excuse me that is my great,great,great,great grandfather's head. Can I have it back?

As for the Titanic most auction houses class it as a mass grave and refuse to sell original items. On our local news last night a local barber near the Harland & Wolfe shipyard had on display a bit of coal from the Titanic. It was certified and he bought it in Vegas cost him $99 back in the 90s.

Latest posts

Back