Titanic Coin

• Thread starter Deleted member 3549
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I take it back...they are showing the equivalent coin for similar price now but their packaging seems totally different...the expensive should be in a velvet box

Just looked at item number on QVC and it's showing at over 80 quid now!!!! Packaging looks identical to the RM one but the title does say 'silver' coin so perhaps QVC had special pure silver ones to sell rather than the RM's commemorative fiver ones.......Not at all sure though.

The coin that they showed as 'silver' was being shown with exactly the same packaging as the RM £12 one. The expensive coin should come with a velvet box not a cardboard box. Maybes they got their packaging wrong way round

Am I alone & thinking the whole thing is rather odd. They then went on to sell a titanic necklace with a charm boarding pass! It seems a tad sick. It was a shipping disaster that claimed many lives, i think the film has a lot to answer for in 'glamourising' the whole thing. It's the equivalent to having a souvenir of a modern disaster (examples I won't name as I wouldn't want to upset any forum members who may have lost someone) but you know what I mean

I feel very uncomfortable about all this titanic stuff.I know its only replicas - but I wouldn't want them in my house!

This anniversary is about commemoration not celebration, there seems to be a great deal of confusion around this to me.

I can rememember all sorts of significant dates in history from the Titanic to modern day, some are worthy of celebration, many are not. Either way I don't personally feel the need to respond to those who see it as an opportunity to turn a profit. I would rather make a donation to an appropriate fund.

The anniversary has become more poignant for me today learning that over 500 of the people that died, nearly all crew, came from Southampton. I didn't know that.

Incorrect photo / details?

Looking closely at the second pic on QVC website, the details mention this £5 coin being made of an alloy, Cupro-nickel, and not silver in the title description! The RM version is also Cupro-nickel.

The anniversary has become more poignant for me today learning that over 500 of the people that died, nearly all crew, came from Southampton. I didn't know that.

I presume you watched the programmes with Len Goodman? They were very interesting and I, too, was quite shocked when I heard that. I certainly had no idea before. Living not too far from Southampton, I know people there and their families may have lost a relative too. It's very eye opening and I'm surprised it's not a wider known fact.

I briefly saw the show this morning and think they are cashing in on a terrible human tragedy. The piece I saw was a necklace with a first class key and a titanic boarding pass. In what way was this reminiscent of the beautiful jewellry from that era that went down with the ship? To me, by peddling this tat, they are sending the wrong message about how we should remember the tragedy, Why not give a share of the profits to the RNLI?

I presume you watched the programmes with Len Goodman? They were very interesting and I, too, was quite shocked when I heard that. I certainly had no idea before. Living not too far from Southampton, I know people there and their families may have lost a relative too. It's very eye opening and I'm surprised it's not a wider known fact.

No, I didn't see Len's programs, I heard it on the news today as Southampton are marking the day Titanic left port. It was very moving, I had no idea so many victims came from one area.

I think the glamour of Kate and Leo has clouded their vision. They seem to be under the illusion that they're hosting a Hollywood movie memorabilia show and it's ripe for cashing in on. I really feel they've lost sight of the true tragedy of the Titanic. Yes it's a good thing for us all to remember it, but to have a tacky show selling pretend souvenirs? Yukkk!

"The anniversary has become more poignant for me today learning that over 500 of the people that died, nearly all crew, came from Southampton. I didn't know that."

This information is in the public domain but until this year not than many people have been interested.

Many people jump on commemorative bandwagons near to an event who would not have been in the least bit interested otherwise.

I have been researching the facts of the Titanic for some years and I did know but when you think about it, the ship sailed from Southampton so it stands to reason that many of its crew would have been from there. That is how the merchant navy works. Crews are recruited just days before in many cases.

I want to mark the time when the Titanic sank but I shall do it in my own little way and do not need to buy an item of jewellery to remember her by.

You're obviously feeling the need to chastise all and sundry at the moment GG. I can assure you I don't "jump" at all, especially not on bandwagons. I have always been interested in the Titanic story but have not researched it specifically, hence was not aware of the significance to Southampton until today.

I agree with the fact that this is odd and not appropriate. How many "commemorative" coins etc have there been for the Spirit Of Free Enterprise? I think people would be aghast at people trying to make money from the Zeebrugge tragedy. Just because this happened 100 years ago makes no difference.

Each to their own though. I don't like it so I don't buy it. Simples.

I've always been fascinated by the Titanic, but the Len Goodman series has been especially interesting as it's concentrated on the ordinary person too. In conjunction with the program also shown on Discovery last night, it's been fascinating.

That aside, I find the whole cashing in thing morally reprehensible. It's also the anniversary of the Falklands isn't it? What no Sinking of the Belgrano memorabilia?

And if they make the excuse that it's the building and launching of the ship that they are "commemorating" then it should have all been done in May of 2011 not in 2012 (which was when the ship was officially launched).

Sorry....Rant over.....

In Belfast where she was built, they did do events last year.

The Discovery Channel has been doing different documentaries each night at 8pm. The one about the recovery of the bodies at sea was very interesting. The methods used then are still in use today to ID bodies and their belongings.

I did not see the last episode of the Len Goodman series. Did it mention that Captain Smith had a major accident with the Olympic he ripped a great big hole in her and blamed the royal navy cruiser he crashed into because he was going too fast? He did the same with Titanic warned about the ice field but kept going at full speed regardless.

Latest posts

Back