The velvetiser!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

People have different tolerances of hot drinks. When I was a barista years ago it broke my heart when customers asked for their coffee to be served at boiling point. Mr Akimbo can drink tea as steam, whereas I can't. It's not great for your throat to take liquids that hot. He doesn't mind that our Velvetiser doesn't produce boiling hot drinks; otherwise the milk would taste different. It's the perfect temperature for me. Maybe the Velvetiser chocolate should be sold as a liquid chocolate experience rather than a hot drink? But we'd take the p!ss if they started saying that!
Where I live, the barristers never serve 'hot' drinks hot. They are always served tepid. I have to ask for my cappuccino 'boiling' and even then it's not as hot as I'd like it to be. I'd never ask for hot tea, because all I'd get would be warmish water in a China pot and a weak tea bag and a lemon wedge. I have also heard from several people that it's bad for your throat to drink liquids very hot, but I still do it!

I cannot drink very hot drinks, I burnt my mouth once long ago from drinking something too hot. I got thrush and had to get stuff from the doctor who told me not to drink very hot drinks again. :eek:
Oh God! that takes me back to NYE 2001, Me and Oh decided to have a quiet one and he cooked a lovely meal of fillet steak with all the trimmings, and he roasted some cherry tomatoes on the vine, I burnt my tongue to buggery. It was so painful, I remember chugging loads of cold water, and I thought I was ok until the next day, my tongue felt red raw and looked red raw too. I carried on drinking cold drinks and taking painkillers but it didn't improve. Went to the doctors as soon as I could and ended up being given a course of antibiotics as it had become infected. Cleared it up quickly but I'm still very wary of scalding hot food or drinks !

Just opened a packet of Tesco JUMBO peanuts which are actually smaller than normal peanuts!

Taste the same but I’ll bet they were more expensive.

Mr L has just open a packet of chocolate and cinnamon tortilla chips which are rather nice

Oh God! that takes me back to NYE 2001, Me and Oh decided to have a quiet one and he cooked a lovely meal of fillet steak with all the trimmings, and he roasted some cherry tomatoes on the vine, I burnt my tongue to buggery. It was so painful, I remember chugging loads of cold water, and I thought I was ok until the next day, my tongue felt red raw and looked red raw too. I carried on drinking cold drinks and taking painkillers but it didn't improve. Went to the doctors as soon as I could and ended up being given a course of antibiotics as it had become infected. Cleared it up quickly but I'm still very wary of scalding hot food or drinks !
That sounds terrible. What a nasty thing to happen.

There is a difference between 'hot' and 'scalding' drinks. Yes, cappuccinos are always served barely warm and rather than linger to drink over a conversation, they tend to get gulped in two mouthfuls - perhaps its a ploy to get you to buy more cups !!!
Or get you out of the establishment so they can serve more tepid coffee and make more moolah.

I like the sound of the tortilla chips
They are rolled . The nearest description I can do is like those dried cinnamon sticks you see. I bought them in Marks. A few years ago they sold chillI tortilla chips dipped in dark chocolate and those were smashing.

I choked on a peanut so that serves me right for scoffing them even though I was stuffed!

I hear you! I really can't understand anyone who's satisfied with drinking instant coffee made with boiling water and milk poured on top ( at least use Coffee Mate). This might have been me back in the 70's and 80's when nobody knew any better! In the 90's more people started using filter coffee machines. I remember buying one when I was with my ex husband, excitedly buying a bag of ground coffee and preparing the post prandial coffee, for him to say "It's alright, but it's not really hot enough for me" - I was gutted. He said nothing about the lovely rich flavour, he only cared about how blinking hot it was!
Similarly a few years ago I was shopping with a mate and she wanted a new kettle and I mentioned how I've got one with adjustable temperatures, and that I find that coffee tastes so much better if the water isn't boiling - She said "I don't care - I just want something cheap that boils water". Each to their own I guess.
Boil the water and let it stand in the kettle for at least 5 minutes. I've always done this before getting our Bosch coffee machine. My friend's husband who drinks a lot of different coffees always says mine taste good and asked me what I did.

A lot of places no longer serve very hot or boiling beverages for fear of being sued. There have been a few cases of people accidentally knocking over their drinks and scalding themselves and in the world of no win, no fee solicitors, they can sue at the drop of a hat.

Getting down to the end of the box of sachets. I tried the ginger one last night and sadly it was disgusting..it was far too strong, had it tasted chocolately with a hint of ginger it would've been lovely but you could hardly taste the chocolate at all - it was just a burning sensation, I had a few mouthfuls then cut my losses and poured the rest of it down the sink - just vile. The white chocolate/vanilla combination was nice if a little sickly, the mint was fairly nice and the choc/orange was divine! Oh has baggsed the salted caramel and the regular choccy ones which leaves the chilli for me, hopefully it won't be like the ginger one. He has grated some 80% cocoa choc from Aldi today and he said it was wonderful..so he's sorted. I will be splashing out on a box of choc orange sachets just for me though!

Yay! The chilli one's nice, you get mostly smooth chocolate with a little bit of a kick at the end, just how I hoped the ginger one would be. On par with the orange one, so that's going on my shopping list!

A lot of places no longer serve very hot or boiling beverages for fear of being sued. There have been a few cases of people accidentally knocking over their drinks and scalding themselves and in the world of no win, no fee solicitors, they can sue at the drop of a hat.
What a strange world it is

Boil the water and let it stand in the kettle for at least 5 minutes. I've always done this before getting our Bosch coffee machine. My friend's husband who drinks a lot of different coffees always says mine taste good and asked me what I did.
I've never heard of doing that. I'll try it today!

Yay! The chilli one's nice, you get mostly smooth chocolate with a little bit of a kick at the end, just how I hoped the ginger one would be. On par with the orange one, so that's going on my shopping list!
Shopping list done and I've just spent an obscene amount of money on hot chocolate. I went direct to HC and got a set of flavoured sachets with a short date, a large tubful of choc flakes in the sale, and a box of chilli flavoured and a box of orange flavoured. (full price) Despite getting 15% off for signing up to their newsletter with p&p I still ended up spending over £40. The sachets work out at £1.30 a cup (which is frankly ridiculous for a a hot drink you're having at home). I'm tempted to cancel the order, but I've decided no, I'll let it stand and enjoy the luxury over the next couple of nasty winter months. I have had a stern word with myself and once these have run out it will be a cheaper alternative all the way!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back