The next QVC author

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Dear Lord, thank you Julius, for showing me the standard of English Grammar and phraseology that is now being passed off as English Literature ! Ms Flint certainly writes how she speaks. coffee table in black with white tiles on the top !!!!! enough said.

Dear Lord, thank you Julius, for showing me the standard of English Grammar and phraseology that is now being passed off as English Literature ! Ms Flint certainly writes how she speaks. coffee table in black with white tiles on the top !!!!! enough said.

I think that was Julius' take on Debbie's writing style Brissles ;-) but I bet it's not far off the mark!

Ms Flint's grammar and syntax leave a lot to be desired. But then she is just a glorified shop girl, so let's not expect too much of her.

Working in a shop doesn't mean you can't be intelligent, literate or talented. There are a million reasons someone could end up with a less than ideal career.

Working in a shop doesn't mean you can't be intelligent, literate or talented.

We clearly shop in different places, then. I'm sure you're right in some circumstances, but I've been in the main served in shops by kids who can barely speak an intelligible language, let alone add up change or ask if they can help. And that's just Harvey Nichols.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is it all a bit 80's in style? If that is similar to DBF then I supposed it is true that people tend to revert to the decade they felt was their best times.

We clearly shop in different places, then. I'm sure you're right in some circumstances, but I've been in the main served in shops by kids who can barely speak an intelligible language, let alone add up change or ask if they can help. And that's just Harvey Nichols.

I agree ! It seems standard now to be asked "are you alright there?" - rather than "can I help you". So I always answer "yes I'm fine - how are you?" and don't get me started on the lack of proper folding up an item of clothing to go in a carrier bag. Most just hold the item up put 2 ends together and 'shove' it in.

I am probably the customer from hell, but if that happens I take it off them while they do the money, and fold it up myself !!! If they take offence then its the store's problem for not giving them proper training.

Is it just me or is it all a bit 80's in style? If that is similar to DBF then I supposed it is true that people tend to revert to the decade they felt was their best times.

Yes I loaded it with hints from the 80s! From what I read of her books they are quite dated. I loved the 80s!

Good for Jackie! One of the best presenters in my opinion and wish her the best with her book!! :mysmilie_59:

One of the biggest problems, as I see it, with self-publication, is the lack of professional editing. A lot of e-publishing suffers from the writer relying on the grammar and spelling checkers on whatever word processing software they are using. I'm often irritated by correctly spelt words which are WRONG in the context - and the software doesn't help you with that.

I sincerely hope that as Jackie Kabler isn't as immersed in QVC as either Debbie or Julia, and because she's writing in a different genre, she will resist the kind of clumsy product references which Debbie and Julia both indulge.

I don't think any of them aspire to be a Sebastian Faulkes or similar. I just hope at least one of these books is an entertaining page-turner written in reasonable English. My money's on Jackie to meet my hope.

Jackie's got a proper book deal so I think her book will be quite different from those written by DF and JR.

Well I hope she shows more enthusiasm for this than she portrays in her Q presentation. I find her as annoying as DBF as they are at opposite ends of the selling spectrum. Whilst I don't want to listen to the hard sell at the same time I don't want to feel as though I am interupting whatever she thinks she should be doing. And she does zero pre show presentation which I just cannot forgive and no matter what we say about Del Boy she will never be accused of that.

Um is 'Matt' Martin or vice versa ??? or are there 3 people in that one act scenario (leaving out Richard) ?

The title of Jackie's book showing on Amazon is The Dead Dog Day, with a release date of 22nd October 2015. It's a murder mystery.

Are the previous postings from your own fertile writer's imagination, Julius?

The title of Jackie's book showing on Amazon is The Dead Dog Day, with a release date of 22nd October 2015. It's a murder mystery.

Are the previous postings from your own fertile writer's imagination, Julius?

I just thought I'd have a go at writing what I thought might be Kabler style! She wasn't much of a newscaster. Surprising that she has a degree in zoology!

Latest posts

Back