The last time i looked, i was not a guy !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Brissles

Registered Shopper
I have an aversion to being referred to as "you guys " - mainly an affectation used by anyone under 55, and used more and more by presenters. Chloe says it A LOT , and used the term in her hour with YBF!

This term is used constantly on other tv progs - particularly where members of the public are involved ie Escape to the Country.

I have even been called a 'guy' by the M'aitre d when attending a dinner at a local top hotel. My friend and I walked in and was immediately asked "do you guys have a reservation ?" He finished up grovelling by the time I finished with him. (for years I wouldn't say boo to a goose, but boy how times have changed)

This is a pet hate of mine too. Waiters/waitresses seem to be the worst. It's not being referred to as a man that brothers me, it's more the cheesy, americanised lazy greeting! If you have to lump a few people together, why not use 'folks'?!

It seems to be an American ism which is taking hold.

.Mind you I once many years ago under went a sex change by the DSS!!! I got an letter addressed to David, correct NI number,DOB, address and middle and surname name!!!:mysmilie_19:

I don't mind the term "guys" compared to the term "chaps", that one really irritates me!

This is a pet hate of mine too. Waiters/waitresses seem to be the worst. It's not being referred to as a man that brothers me, it's more the cheesy, americanised lazy greeting! If you have to lump a few people together, why not use 'folks'?!

Yes, I agree, a lot of the waiters/waitresses appears to be students earning a crust - no problem with that at all, BUT I wonder about the professionalism of their Managers who give staff training. Surely a ban on 'guys', particularly when serving females should be highlighted, not left to the likes of my generation to pull them up about it.

The same applies to the young management in broadcasting - Americanism or not - its all about professionalism and good manners. I hardly think the Queen and her husband would be referred to as "you guys" when being served or spoken to.

That's Alexis from L'Occitanne then!

She is referring to chaps when she uses the term, that I don't mind, but it is when someone refers to a group of people, mixed, or all female and they say something like "Right chaps........" then it really irritates me!

Last edited:
I once got a letter from a CREDIT CARD COMPANY addressed to Mr C T Dog. That will be Copper the Dog, my pet :mysmilie_1: Work that one out lol.

CC

The "guy" who is on flogging Dyson items says guy at least 3 times in every sentence.
As in "I am sure you guys at home can see how powerful this fan is. It is just what you guys need at home to keep you cool/warm, look guys at it's power compared to this one guys, don't you guys at home wish you had all that power at home. I am, just going to show the guys at home just how wonderful this fan is.
I always have to turn over once he starts as he makes me shout at the T.V and it frightens the dogs don't you know guys.

These Americanisms really bug me and You Guys is the one I hate most. What happened to Ladies and Gentlemen or Sir and Madam.

I've also noticed another one creeping in............... doing the 'math' - we are English, we stick an S on the end of mathS !!!! you plonkers over the Pond !!

In a similar vein, the use of an 'x' (kiss) at the end of a reply from the QVC customer services on FB should be abolished. Very unprofessional imho. I also experienced this on a catalogue company's FB page when they were replying to a complaint! I mentioned it to their HO (whilst making my complaint) and they said it had been noted. I bet they still do it!!

You guys, doesn't bother me, but being referred to as love, as in "thanks love", now that makes my blood boil!

Wow - I must be really tolerant then.

I don't expect waiting staff to 'know their place', I just want them to be polite and efficient. 'Guys' is OK with me... there really isn't another easy and quick collective noun for customers anyway. I'd expect questions to be directed to the oldest male (or the perceived most senior person) only in very fomal dining but not as the norm.

The Americanism I hate is 'mom'... nearly every young person seems to write 'mom' not 'mum' these days. Now that does annoy me.

I don't mind being called love, dear, guys, folks, ducks. As long as people are polite i can't see that it matters. As for the X, i think it's a habit as I ended and email to my solicitor recently with a X.:blush:

Wow - I must be really tolerant then.

I don't expect waiting staff to 'know their place', I just want them to be polite and efficient. 'Guys' is OK with me... there really isn't another easy and quick collective noun for customers anyway. I'd expect questions to be directed to the oldest male (or the perceived most senior person) only in very fomal dining but not as the norm.

The Americanism I hate is 'mom'... nearly every young person seems to write 'mom' not 'mum' these days. Now that does annoy me.

Mom is common in the Midlands

Latest posts

Back