The Gatineau 'Trap'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Donna - it's Latisse (AKA Lumigan/Bimatoprost - see my rants on the Revitalash thread). I have had minor success on my eyebrows with, of all things, castor oil! I also saw a difference with Talika. Latisse (in it's many forms -mine is the cheapest version!) has been remarkable for me, though.

I learned a long time ago to NEVER use ANYTHING without patch-testing small amounts for at least a week. I have reactive (though, surprisingly, not that sensitive) skin and keep all my receipts. Any sign of trouble and a photo is taken and I return the offending item. Anything with any form of mushroom extract is my bugbear.

CDLM v Nivea. Hmmm. This debate has raged for years. I picked up the German version of Nivea and can see no difference between that and the UK version. CDLM absolutely HAS to be "liquefied" before use or it just sits there like lard. As someone with poor circulation, I can only use it when I'm warm. Both Nivea and CDLM give me softer skin the next day than ANYTHING else I've ever used. Both can calm my skin after a reaction even better than the stuff I get from my doctor (CDLM works quicker and leaves less redness). I need at least four times the amount of Nivea than CDLM (if only CDLM were only four times as expensive as Nivea!). There's hardly any difference between both for me, but using the CDLM seems to be more of a treatment than just something I slap on before bed.

I've tried so many skincare products in my nearly 50 years and have discovered that most of it is snake oil. I get fantastic results with a cheap tube of prescription retinol and a £5 bottle of Careprost (Lumigan), however, neither are really what I call pleasant to use. I hate the initial redness/dryness I get with retinol but love the way it makes my lines disappear. I hate having to use an eyelash enhancer twice a day for a few months but love my bambi lashes. Oh, the pain of being beautiful!

My mantra now is to use a good spf (Neutrogena Sheer - unfortunately only available in the US) and buy skin care products that are a joy to use and that don't irritate. I still love trying new stuff, though, and one day may even find something EFFECTIVE that's nice to use!

I really couldn't care less what nonsense anyone spouts, about whatever cream happens to be flavour of the day.

Wear sunscreen. Clean your face. Find a moisturiser that will work for you, personally. With 'work' I don't mean something that will make you look younger - that is impossible - but just something that makes your skin feel hydrated all day and don't break you out. If you are lucky this will be an Aldi or Waitrose moisturiser. If not, you will probably have to spend more dosh in your quest.

The biggest skincare tip I could give anyone is to lay off sugar. A diet high in sugar and high-glycaemic carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, rice, cakes, pasta, and soft drinks lead to glycation in the skin. This is where sugar molecules attach to collagen fibres and destroy their strength and flexibility so the skin becomes less elastic and extremely vulnerable. Sugar literally destroys the body from the inside out. I was involved in a study on this at the start of my career, and what I saw made me gasp in horror.

Sorry... didn't mean to preach.

I really agree Dingle Dangle. I had minor surgery last month and prior to it, went on a bit of a health kick to aid recovery. I went into a good health food shop to get some vitamins and also something to help me sleep. After a long discussion about lifestyle, stress, etc.. the manager advised me to give up sugar as much as possible. She said too much sugar was at the root of many problems, including insomnia, depression, etc..

I am quite strange when it comes to chemicals...don't like using then too much in the house, but am not careful enough about what I put on my face!

I ordered the gatineau tsv (I hang my head in shame) I used it for one day/night and I broke out in a red rash...so I've returned it back. I'm going to just stick to what I know works for me, I still love my Floracil, Gommage and my Gatineau wash cleanser.

I have learned my lesson....if I feel myself getting ready to hit the red button to order a tsv (esp anti-aging products) I'm going to check with the st forum first :rock: and maybe next time I'll save money (especially when you have to pay postage to return them).

As I've read before on this thread I need to start drinking lots of water, try to get as much sleep as possible and use a good SPF block...this is going to be my new mantra :clapping:

I really agree Dingle Dangle. I had minor surgery last month and prior to it, went on a bit of a health kick to aid recovery. I went into a good health food shop to get some vitamins and also something to help me sleep. After a long discussion about lifestyle, stress, etc.. the manager advised me to give up sugar as much as possible. She said too much sugar was at the root of many problems, including insomnia, depression, etc..

I am quite strange when it comes to chemicals...don't like using then too much in the house, but am not careful enough about what I put on my face!

I'm "strange" with chemicals, too. I can't tolerate a lot of cleaning products and can't use air fresheners. I'm really happy to see allergy warnings on candles (though only ever seen them on limited supermarket brands, Glade type and M&S candles). Yankee and "high end" candles like Jo Malone leave a horrible metallic taste in my mouth (I get the same within seconds of cleaning chemicals touching my skin if they get past my gloves) and they will sometimes set off an asthma attack. I can still use natural wax candles, though (some Shearer and M&S in case anyone has the same reaction as me).

Last edited:
^^^^^ not strange at all!!

I am also asthmatic - yankee candles make my eyes water, air fresheners ***OMG** instant tight chest. all creams have to be patch tested.. Im even allergic to carrier oils such as jojoba and rapeseed

Any cream on QVC that is 'proud' of their fancy packaging I avoid like the plague, because chances are they have gone overboard with fragrance and colourants in the product. 'for show'

Toner stings me out, some eye serums make my eyes fly out of their sockets, and rotate on stalks Monty Python style LOL

My routine is Aldi moisture cream and aldi serum Both excellent products, and to wash off Bare minerals makeup - simple face wash.

3 items = a total of approx £12, lasts months.

This might also be considered a health warning. A friend's husband is a fireman(no his name is not Sam), he said the biggest cause of house fires is the plug in air fresheners. He refuses to let any of his family, mother, inlaws etc use them. Thinks they should be banned.

I didn't have any problems with my skin until about 10 years ago. I came out in a nasty, weepy, excema-like sore on my lower leg and ended up at the doc. It healed, but I had a major excema break-out all over arms and legs and was itchy and sore for ages. Doc thought it was an allergic reaction, and the only new thing I'd used was a Molton Brown shower gel! Never touched it since, even though I love the smells! I still get recurrences (but milder) now and again. L'Occitance soap is lovely (body only), no problems there, gosh I even put Radox in the bath :blush: but I also have a small excema patch on my eyelid. Gatineau serenite cleanser is one of the few that doesn't irritate it - in fact it disappears when I use it. So I do like this product, but only buy it at 'reasonable' prices. I have tried some of the 'premium' ranges and have liked some of them, but don't necessarily repeat buy - have been equally happy with offerings from Avon and M&S!

OMG Prussian I can truly relate. I have eczema breakouts on my under eyes sometimes, which only can be calmed by 5% hydrocortisone ointment
It is dreadful, not only for the irritation, but absolutely no cosmetic can cover the dry, cracky, peeling condition. In fact, my major skin allergies only started when I purchased Elemis. I gave my dermatologist the offiending bottle with ingredients list, and then I had a patch test on my back to find out what was the culprit... and no surprise the culprit was in the list of chemicals in the product listed on the bottle.

I think it is about time these big names sat back and eased off on the additives, but their excuse is "oh well you ingest chemicals when you eat a cupcake" My consultant dermatologist says thats folly.

The most frustrating thing was the fact I had the test on my back (imagine a huge grid with numbers on my back) and the parts that reacted I could not scratch OOHHH terrible!

Elemis Sensitive Cleansing Wash caused me problems.
Looking at the ingredients, it's not surprising really

Water, Peg-40 Glyceryl Cocoate, Sodium Coceth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Cocamide Dea, Propylene Glycol, Acrylates/Steareth-20 Methacrylate Copolymer, Calcium Caseinate, Alchemilla Vulgaris Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance, Lauretth-12, Disodium Edta, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Caramel, Coumarin, Yellow 6

I bought it because it said "Sensitive" which means nothing it would seem.
I've said it before - Q really should publish ingredients on their web page. I would never have bought it if I'd seen that lot beforehand.

I had an awful reaction to Emma Hardie eye serum, crusty weeping dermatitis on eyelids and all around eyes, I was so disappointed as I really wanted to like the range. Back to Alpha H eye complex although I did react to Alpha H's other eye cream- intensive eye & lip cream I think it was. Simple is also OK on my eyes.

Simple is also OK on my eyes.

Simple seem to get it right. Lets hope qvc dont get hold of it, as mass production always does reduce quality of product ALWAYS.

Tova is a perfect example of this. The die hard Tova Signature perfume fans (inc myself) were devastated when she joined QVC as it totally changed the manufacture of her signature scent.
As a result the rare originals (pre QVC) sell for hundreds of pounds. The original signature is the most amazing scent ever. The QVC Tova signature is vile IMHO, and it was due to Tova removing the more expensive notes, and adding aldehydes.

Simple seem to get it right. Lets hope qvc dont get hold of it, as mass production always does reduce quality of product ALWAYS.

Tova is a perfect example of this. The die hard Tova Signature perfume fans (inc myself) were devastated when she joined QVC as it totally changed the manufacture of her signature scent.
As a result the rare originals (pre QVC) sell for hundreds of pounds. The original signature is the most amazing scent ever. The QVC Tova signature is vile IMHO, and it was due to Tova removing the more expensive notes, and adding aldehydes.

gosh i had no idea. i'd never heard of tova before she came to qvc so i wouldn't have a clue what the original was like. i do remember ordering some of the supposedly most popular one - body mind and spirit - and literally trying to scrub it off it was so bad. it weighed a ton but still sent it back smartish.

where exactly? it appears to be going for 30 quid on e-bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOVA-SIGNATURE-ORIGINAL-FORMULA-EAU-PARFUM-50ML-/320736911589

tova's been on qvc for years - wouldn't the original be a bit old? does perfume last for ever?

tova's been on qvc for years - wouldn't the original be a bit old? does perfume last for ever?

Actually perfumistas go nuts for vintage. If perfume is stored properly out of direct sunlight and kept in a cool dark place can last for many many many years. I bought a bottle of Caron Fleurs de Rocaille extract(pure parfum) on ebay for £23. It was from 1960 still had the gold wire seal intact and in original box and around 75mls. Now it should have gone for hundreds of pounds but the guy had in the wrong catagory(sp). Anyway when I opened it totally glorious, the top notes have faded a little but otherwise perfect. On ebay you will see bottle of vintage BIN for up to £750 and people will pay.

While I'm no skincare expert, I have to say that I have better skin than all the so-called experts I see. I have never followed a skincare routine for more than a few weeks maybe twice in my life and I look 10 years younger than I am. My biggest skincare tip would be to never smoke and not to follow fad diets or lose weight too quickly. All those who do seem to have thin skin or saggy skin if they have dieted. If you've got a little meat on your bones, you look younger.

I've done all the things you're not supposed to do - i.e. not using sun cream when perhaps I should have done, never using expensive moisturiser/cleanser, I've used baby wipes or Nivea/Lidl. I still use baby wipes, I use Pond's night cream when I remember and recently Aldi day cream - but I've only really used ponds for the last 5 years and I'm 50 now. Oh and I've been terrible for not washing my face at night sometimes (or not getting all my makeup off, not that I wear much - only a bit of mascara & lippy!)

I've looked at those advocating the use of an expensive skincare routine and I do not see people with wonderful skin that's better than mine. At 50 I don't wish i'd spent less on skincare - I really don't think I could have spent less, so on the other hand equally I don't wish i'd spent more. I don't avoid carbs or sugar either - I just eat in moderation and I enjoy vino!!

I really do think it's more down to genetics...I don't think (apart from surgery) that you can do much to avoid it...and even then, surgery is a bit drastic and shouldnt be used more than a couple of times or you end up like Joan Rivers. My nans lived through 2 world wars, didn't have the "benefit" of being able to afford skincare routines and my nan with the better skin swore by Ponds....I'm happy to follow suit! At 90, she had beautiful skin.

Last edited:
I agree Lottie, Have never layered my face with so called serious skincare,or drink litres of water every day,in fact I do everything Ay tells us not to do,like sitting in the sun and I enjoy Alcohol mainly red or white wine,people never believe my age even the immigration guy at the airport said I did not look my age when he looked at my date of birth,so I will carry on with my simplistic routine of just moisturising my face and sometimes that is just Almond oil.To remove my makeup I am using Goats milk soap.
Lynn

I had an awful reaction to Emma Hardie eye serum, crusty weeping dermatitis on eyelids and all around eyes, I was so disappointed as I really wanted to like the range. Back to Alpha H eye complex although I did react to Alpha H's other eye cream- intensive eye & lip cream I think it was. Simple is also OK on my eI yes.

Simple Eye Make up Remover is very good.

Latest posts

Back