The Gatineau 'Trap'

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

just because its natural/has essential oils in it et all does not mean you wont react. in all probability you will. dermatologists and plastic surgeons use cheap protroleum based produts that most skins will tolerate not stuff loaded with nice smelling oils. nice to use if you have skin that can tolerate it disaster if you dont....imo!

I sure do!
I've also learnt to check the ingredients of anything that foams. Some real nasties create that foam sometimes.

Another vote here for aldi, and indeed lidl, whose £1.99 moisturiser I'm quite a fan of. I often wonder if they put the same stuff in a pot with some fancy pants brand name on it and sold it on qvc as the stuff you just have to have for £40 a go whether people would rave about how fantastic it was and buy it in their droves.

course they would ;)

are aldi and lidl the same??

I keep it simple now too barbedwire after having an allergic reaction - wash, tone, moisturise.
I'm also influenced by looking at the sheer number of ingredients. The more there are in my case, the more there is for me to react to.
For example Decleor Excellence De L'Age Sublime Cream
Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Methylsilanol Hydroxyproline Aspartate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Prunus Domestica Fruit Extract, Beheneth-25, Squalane, Cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearyl Heptanoate, Stearyl Caprylate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Bisabolol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Boswellia Carterii Oil, Iris Florentina Root Extract, Helichrysum Italicum Extract, Ruscus Aceleatus Root Extract, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Leaf Extract, Atemisia Abrotanum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Bellis Perennis (Daisy) Flower Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Kernel Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Morus Bombycis Root Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Bupleurum Falcatum Root Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Plukenetia Volubilis Seed Oil, Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Silica, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Panthenol, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Algin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tetrasodium Edta, Bht, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Ceramide 3, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Serine, Phytosphingosine, Ceramide 6-Ii, Cholesterol, Carbomer, Lecithin, Disodium Edta, Ceramide 1, Fragrance, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Citronellol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben

£92.52 for you.

:eek: :eek:

Companies FAIL big time on QVC regarding mentioning chemicals. Even Liz Earle moisturiser has brought me out in a rash - (a shock considering the cream was for sensitive skin) so 'botanicals' or 'essentials' etc can also harm, as mentioned previously.

I guess the perfect balance would be to stick with cosmetics without chemicals (because the ingredients in cosmetics are ageing in themselves) them select any facial routine that gives comfort. Only YOU know what that is - not AY, or Gatineau Andrew or Elemis Keleigh (?)

Skincare should be considered the same as a prescription drug from your family Dr..

We would never swallow any old pill, from an unqualified Dr, so why slap on the creams they tell us to, just to pay their wages. They don't abide by the rules of The Oath and Law of Hippocrates... Its a shop. Its a selling channel, not an individual dermatological consultation

Just because ONE t-caller claims its has made 10 years disappear in a week (random QVC trial customer with her freebie, then prompted to call during show) it could make the next person go into a week of itchys

Ah ! My chest feels lighter now! LOL

How right you are JR.
Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish gave me red patches, Judith William's eye collagen pen gave me slugs under my eyes .. I won't go on.
I thought I was fairly bullet-proof, but it seems allergies/reactions can just spring up at any time. I've had a right old song & dance finding out what was causing my bad reaction I can tell you. I think I sat at this desk for a solid week googling like mad. I found out a lot & scared myself at the same time.
I recommend this site as a starting place -

http://www.beautypedia.com/
and
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/A.aspx
It's been a huge help.

yes, just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it's not going to harm you - same trap people fall into when they're swallowing stuff from the "health food" shop.

health food shops freak me out. most of the "food" is dried or in tablet form. not for me!!

I agree with many of you, we are all different, it just so happens that c & p suits me, it may not suit everone. After years of dry flaky and blotchy skin due to sensitivity which made me very self conscious, I suddenly found something that worked, so best to stick with it. Got a bit of the pro radiance from elemis left, after that it's back to liz!

just because its natural/has essential oils in it et all does not mean you wont react. in all probability you will. dermatologists and plastic surgeons use cheap protroleum based produts that most skins will tolerate not stuff loaded with nice smelling oils. nice to use if you have skin that can tolerate it disaster if you dont....imo!

That's so true.
After all, people have really serious reactions to foods, eg nuts or shellfish, & they're all natural aren't they? I've ended up twice in A&E with anaphylactic shock due to rye being hidden in baked goods.

I just don't get on with Decleor at all, virtually everything of theirs brings me out in itchy, weeping blisters.

How right you are JR.
Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish gave me red patches, Judith William's eye collagen pen gave me slugs under my eyes .. I won't go on.
I thought I was fairly bullet-proof, but it seems allergies/reactions can just spring up at any time. I've had a right old song & dance finding out what was causing my bad reaction I can tell you. I think I sat at this desk for a solid week googling like mad. I found out a lot & scared myself at the same time.
I recommend this site as a starting place -

http://www.beautypedia.com/
and
http://www.cosmeticscop.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/A.aspx
It's been a huge help.

But Paula who runs both hates all things natural, regardless if they have been used without problems for hundreds of years she lumps them all as the devil's playthings. Even lavender and teatree oils which can be used neat on the skin. These are the only two essential oils which can. There is a balance with products which she refuses to acknowledge, not everything will work for everyone that is just a fact. But every natural product she gives a list of things that may happen to you. As if it will happen to you

The same way many will not use mineral oil or fear parabens. One review of Eve Lom Cleanser on QVC US stated it had mineral oil which causes cancer! Very extreme and false statement, if mineral oil caused cancer and was proven to do so it would be banned!!!! Liz Earle uses parabens and sees nothing wrong with them, yet many people who use her range are among those screaming on the dangers of parabens.

Wasn't the Decleor prolagene gel originally created for use on burns patients? That's the only Decleor product I use and it's the best after sun ever. I'm olive skinned and sensible so I don't ever really burn but I've used it on my partner who can burn and it takes the redness down almost straightaway. I use it instead of a serum at the minute as I am STILL on my use everything up before buying new crusade and I rather like using the prolagene. I don't think it's very perfed though. Can't really remember.

I keep it simple now too barbedwire after having an allergic reaction - wash, tone, moisturise.
I'm also influenced by looking at the sheer number of ingredients. The more there are in my case, the more there is for me to react to.
For example Decleor Excellence De L'Age Sublime Cream
Ingredients:
Water, Glycerin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Methylsilanol Hydroxyproline Aspartate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Prunus Domestica Fruit Extract, Beheneth-25, Squalane, Cetyl Alcohol, Sorbitol, Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearyl Heptanoate, Stearyl Caprylate, Zea Mays (Corn) Oil, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Bisabolol, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Boswellia Carterii Oil, Iris Florentina Root Extract, Helichrysum Italicum Extract, Ruscus Aceleatus Root Extract, Chenopodium Quinoa Seed Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Leaf Extract, Atemisia Abrotanum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Saxifraga Sarmentosa Extract, Bellis Perennis (Daisy) Flower Extract, Zea Mays (Corn) Kernel Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Morus Bombycis Root Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Bupleurum Falcatum Root Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Plukenetia Volubilis Seed Oil, Corylus Avellana (Hazel) Seed Oil, Silica, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Polyacrylate, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Panthenol, Biosaccharide Gum-4, Hydrolyzed Yeast Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Algin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tetrasodium Edta, Bht, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Ceramide 3, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Serine, Phytosphingosine, Ceramide 6-Ii, Cholesterol, Carbomer, Lecithin, Disodium Edta, Ceramide 1, Fragrance, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Benzyl Salicylate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Geraniol, Citronellol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben

£92.52 for you.

Well that's an eye opener (or an eye closer if you have an allergic reaction to it...:nod: ) £92.52 and a lot of those ingredients you'll find in less expensive creams which "you can buy on the literal actual high street, Alison". I just looked at my jar of A'kin Rose De Mai that I'm finishing off - it too has a long ingredient list but not anywhere near as along as that and I can sort of recognise almost all of what's in it...blimey days...thanks for posting this!!

But Paula who runs both hates all things natural, regardless if they have been used without problems for hundreds of years she lumps them all as the devil's playthings. Even lavender and teatree oils which can be used neat on the skin. These are the only two essential oils which can. There is a balance with products which she refuses to acknowledge, not everything will work for everyone that is just a fact. But every natural product she gives a list of things that may happen to you. As if it will happen to you

I agree she is very rigid, but her site offers some interesting observations, and in my case, pointers as to what has the potential to upset. As I had to replace everything I used one by one in order to find my trigger, I did not want to replace with products which had the potential to upset me again.
I do not want to go through that long process again, it's upsetting and it is an expensive process. After finding my trigger, I bought sample sizes of products I had used in the past, after checking the ingredients on Paula's site, looking at the contents and the sheer number of ingredients, hoping they would be OK, but if not, I had not spent a great deal of money on them.

The same way many will not use mineral oil or fear parabens. One review of Eve Lom Cleanser on QVC US stated it had mineral oil which causes cancer! Very extreme and false statement, if mineral oil caused cancer and was proven to do so it would be banned!!!! Liz Earle uses parabens and sees nothing wrong with them, yet many people who use her range are among those screaming on the dangers of parabens.

Yes, I came across some 'hysterical' sites, written by born-again disciples of the cause, but at the end of the day you have to weigh up the evidence for yourself. That's where discussion forums came into their own for me - a mix of the hysterical & the composed.
After eliminating all the usual suspects I came across my trigger because of such a site.

everyone is diffrent but i know that i dont need antiageing skincare as i dont have any lines and i dont have dry skin despite being 49. horses for courses.

Glad I found this thread. Due to Xmas etc, funds are tight. Thought I could cut back on the toiletries a little. Then I went thru my daily routine and began to worry about the amount of chemicals that I may be injesting (sp) thru my skin.
Is this routine normal??? Cleanse, tone, eye serum, face serum then moisturize. Primer and foundation before I even get to the make-up.
Think I may go back to soap &water and a good cold cream.......I could save a fortune. Thanks guys!!

I really couldn't care less what nonsense anyone spouts, about whatever cream happens to be flavour of the day.

Wear sunscreen. Clean your face. Find a moisturiser that will work for you, personally. With 'work' I don't mean something that will make you look younger - that is impossible - but just something that makes your skin feel hydrated all day and don't break you out. If you are lucky this will be an Aldi or Waitrose moisturiser. If not, you will probably have to spend more dosh in your quest.

The biggest skincare tip I could give anyone is to lay off sugar. A diet high in sugar and high-glycaemic carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, rice, cakes, pasta, and soft drinks lead to glycation in the skin. This is where sugar molecules attach to collagen fibres and destroy their strength and flexibility so the skin becomes less elastic and extremely vulnerable. Sugar literally destroys the body from the inside out. I was involved in a study on this at the start of my career, and what I saw made me gasp in horror.

Sorry... didn't mean to preach.

Latest posts

Back