The Buckley Poppy Brooch

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I see QVC are now showing the brooch as Special Price 10.20 but its only available on waitlist
I have ordered the 10.20 one and the 15.00 one from RBL direct so they can get all the money.

Got my poppy brooch yesterday and I had to pay the original price that was posted on here. Noticed in my paper today an order form for the Poppy Shop.Only £2.00 p&p and it says if you order by Nov 4th they will try to get it to you by the 11th. There is a pandora like poppy charm they have in the shop too.

I bought mine from the poppy shop last year and it's beautiful. I bought one for my stepmother too. And I bought a reusable shopping bag which I noticed they're selling in Sainsburys today.

I got both mine today from RBL direct and they are both a decent size, actually bigger than I thought
I prefer the larger one as the stones are a brighter red and the smaller one is darker but I am sure the friend I bought it for will like it

You need to make sure that when buying from a charity you are aware of whether it is the total amount that goes to the charity, or the profit. Most large charities sell goods through a trading company, which operate very much like a "normal" company. Any profit the company makes is then gift aided to the charity. So for poppy brooches, it might be that by the time all the costs are taken into account by the trading arm, less money per brooch ends up with the charity than the £5 donation from someone like QVC.
I have no idea of the figures involved in this case (and am not sure it would be possible to get that info). I just think it is important that people realise the total purchase price of goods may not necessarily end up with the charity.

Hope you don't mind me adding to the debate, having just stumbled upon it whilst doing a search!

SarahJane

I got my Poppy brooch last month from RBL to make sure I didn't miss out, but I was sending the info to a friend today & notice that the small brooch has now gone from the RBL site. However, I checked Ebay & they are selling between £30-£50 again!!!!! Some sellers are donating the money to RBL but a lot are not, :angry:

You need to make sure that when buying from a charity you are aware of whether it is the total amount that goes to the charity, or the profit. Most large charities sell goods through a trading company, which operate very much like a "normal" company. Any profit the company makes is then gift aided to the charity. So for poppy brooches, it might be that by the time all the costs are taken into account by the trading arm, less money per brooch ends up with the charity than the £5 donation from someone like QVC.
I have no idea of the figures involved in this case (and am not sure it would be possible to get that info). I just think it is important that people realise the total purchase price of goods may not necessarily end up with the charity.

Hope you don't mind me adding to the debate, having just stumbled upon it whilst doing a search!

SarahJane

A good point, but as QVC are giving their donation of £5 to the RBL anyway I'd prefer to buy direct from them.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. :smile:

A good point, but as QVC are giving their donation of £5 to the RBL anyway I'd prefer to buy direct from them.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. :smile:

I tried to buy it yesterday but the internet said it was sold out.

I may be thick, but why would people buy them from Ebay and pay way over the price when they could just buy them from RBL direct? The small ones are often over £25-30 on Ebay, is it just because they have sold out on RBL?

If you buy from RBL then 80% of the profits go to RBL from Buckley (so I have been told by a Buckley employee). This is a lot more than the QVC donation of £5 which is the minimum Buckley have told them that they have to pay to RBL. So buy from RBL!! :)

I buy my items direct from RBL because I'm keen that they receive as much money as possible. Both my daughter and I are wearing the Buckley brooches I bought from them last year but that doesn't stop us donating to the RBL tins we see on our travels. We're more than happy to give without anything further in return but it does upset me to hear that people are desperate to make money for themselves instead of expressing great gratitude to our service men and women. We owe so much to these brave people and I will continue to support the RBL until my dying day.

I have been out and about for work for the last two days and have been asked so many times where I bought my poppy brooch. I've been telling people to go direct to RBL for two reasons. First because that is where I bought it and second because the charity receives more money from the sale of each poppy.

I wore it last year and hardly anyone asked me about it but yesterday I was asked about six times.

I was surprised yesterday though that in a conference/meeting with about 25 other people all of whom were over 30 that so few were wearing poppies. Even the speakers weren't wearing poppies.

I ordered mine from QVC because it had said 10-14 days for delivery on the RBL website and I wanted it asap to be able to wear it this year.

Well I ordered it on 30th October and it was despatched on 31st October - I AM STILL WAITING. I have spoken to QVC customer service and they say that their courier (TNT) took it the first part of the journey and then passed it to Royal Mail to deliver the last bit. I am waiting on the letter to try to get my money back!

Wish I had gone direct - I would probably have got it by now!

I ordered one from the RBL web site on 31st and the status still says in process, so you probably wouldn't have got it in time from there either. They have a notice on their web site saying they have a high level of orders. I tried to call them yesterday but couldn't get through. I'm disappointed but at least when it does come I will have it for next year. Bought a paper one this morning for this year.

I got mine from the RBL and it it only took 2days to be delivered, the small o e is sold out now.

There was a big whoha yesterday in the mail about "bling poppies" and how the poppy had become a fashion accesory instead of an act of rememberance, well I love my poppy and everyone who sees it loves it as well so I am sorry but I dont care what some people think I am sticking with it. I will still give a donation every year but my shiny poppy is here to stay!

As previously mentioned I have the small Buckley poppy brooch which I bought last year from the BL Poppy Shop. I managed to order the large £25 Buckley bling poppy brooch last week and it arrived on Saturday. It's beautiful. I've had lots of compliments and queries about where I got it from. It's such a good cause and I love that I can wear it for years to come, and as a normal jewellery item too. No doubt the RBL will bring out more versions of the poppy brooch each year so the collection can be added to. I would add what superb quality the brooches are for the price. So much better than Butler & Wilson brooches, which is the closest comparison. No doubt the prices will get silly on EBay today and tomorrow in anticipation of Sunday. Glad I have mine.

I ordered one from the RBL web site on 31st and the status still says in process, so you probably wouldn't have got it in time from there either. They have a notice on their web site saying they have a high level of orders. I tried to call them yesterday but couldn't get through. I'm disappointed but at least when it does come I will have it for next year. Bought a paper one this morning for this year.
I ordered one on 1st Nov, mines also still in process. I didn't expect it to take so long.

Latest posts

Back