The All New Perimenopause Thread

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If my bedtime routine doesn't get me off to sleep in about 15minutes now I just get up, potter for 20 minutes and then try again. I'm frequently found loading the washing machine at 4am! I know they tell you not to nap if you have trouble nodding off but I think you just have to listen to your body and if you're bone-achingly tired have a nap.

Jude xx

I often wish we lived in a bungalow, then, I'd get up, go and do something, make a cuppa, whatever - but having to go downstairs, I just don't! I wake OH every time I turn over..I've suggested separate beds..separate rooms..even separate houses (he won't take the hint!)
.. :doh:

Hahaha I found this poem and thought it might make a few of us laugh ....

Menopause For Thought
There is a natural order in life
There are rules to be understood
For example bearing children
There is a time limit on motherhood
The term “child bearing years”
Was coined for a very simple reason
So that everything in life
Can have its time and season
A Woman over fifty is ill equipped
To show a baby proper care
As she would put the baby down
And then forget where

Well after 6 months (possibly more) of being period free they've come back! I had a headache from hell (so bad I threw up) and said to hubby this is just like a pre period headache and then wham! There it was! I can't deny I'm happy, although I had convinced myself that was that and I was finished with it all. Now I'm not sure what to expect. The hot flushes had all but gone as had the palpitations and irritability. I really thought I had sailed through in a short time frame. Now what? Does it all start up again? I'm confused!

It's that kind of uncertainty that bothers me, I can cope with symptoms if I know what to expect but it's the not knowing what'll happen next that makes perimenopause frustrating.

Jude xx

Investigation of the prolapse is on hold over Christmas, the GP needs to prescribe a hormone cream for me to use before she can attempt another exam, she wasn't able to use a speculum last time (ouch). Since then I'm being inverigated for possible low immunity, I'm currently having my 3rd bout of shingles since April 2012 and this time seems worse than before. I did manage to start a course of Aciclovir (huge tablets) as soon as I noticed the rash was back. I'll be ok once I know the cause but waiting for blood tests etc is frustrating. It's impossible the separate the symptoms: am I feeling weary, flu-like, tearful, grouchy because of the shingles or the fact my period is due in a couple of days?

I bought a heated fleece blanket in the Lakeland sale last year and it's been the best buy ever as I lie on the sofa wondering if I should go back to bed or not.

Jude xx

Oh Jude so sorry you're having such an awful time! My mum is just getting over shingles ( down one side of her face) and I've just finished the giving her the Aciclovir (5 a day) plus antibiotics as it looked they they had got infected. This all had to be done through her peg tube as well as giving her her normal meds. I was just about climbing the wall! Mum can't speak and I don't know how painful they are? I want to wash her hair but I'm scared I cause her unbearable pain.
I really hope they get to the bottom of your problems asap. It always seems like everything comes at once!! I was reading up on shingles and it does seem that if you've had one bout there's a good chance of a recurrence. Hopefully once menopause is finally out of the way your immune system will get a chance to rebuild itself. I'm sure you're doing all you can to help with that ~ eating well, trying to reduce stress levels etc. Take care xxx

Hmmm everything but the stress under control, with additional festive stress! Your poor mum (and you having to deal with extra symptoms) I sincerely hope she's over it soon. I wonder whether my 3 outbreaks have anything to do with the fact that I only had chicken pox relatively recently (about 17 years ago when I was 8 months pregnant). Fortunately my patch of shingles is under clothing (right butt cheek!) so I'm unlikely to give anyone chicken pox (requires skin contact whereas chichen pox is spread by water droplets in chicken pox sufferers). And most people I know have already had CP as children.

D'you know I think I come on here for the care and sympathy forumites give, compared with the family hardly noticing there's anything wrong...kids asking when dinner will be, Mr Akimbo asking me to put some drain-cleaner down the bath plug on my way to bed last night! Sigh!

On a more positive note: I 've used www.mymonthlycycles.com* for about 5 years (just the free functions not the subscription ones) It allows me to track the first day of periods, duration and any other symptoms such as pmt migraines. You can set it up to email you a reminder 5 days before your next one is due (assuming they're still regular). I've found it really useful, esp for noticing trends and also for providing GP with accurate dates and patterns.

Jude xx

* please use a pop-up blocker as this site tends to open with other advertising sites which can be a nuisance

I'll give that a go! And I know exactly what you mean about sympathy and understanding! It's strange (or sad!) that it sometimes comes more from 'strangers' on a forum than our families. I think they just see us as good old mum/wife capable of plodding on and handling anything that comes our way. I was watching Eastenders tonight and just thinking how everyone wails and has breakdowns and shouts etc etc but real life's not like that. We quietly just get on with crisis' and shoulder it all until ~ in your case your immune system has had enough! Be good to yourself and pamper yourself because you deserve it! xx

Jacqueline I've got the house to myself tomorrow, husband driving son back to Uni after Xmas and daughter out spending her gift cards and I can't wait: going to have a long bath, put PJs back on and not answer the door or phone if I can help it and watch a backlog of stuff recorded on TV over Christmas. Love 'em all dearly but can't wait for a quiet house ...just me and the rabbit sharing a bunch of grapes!

Jude xx

Jacqueline I've got the house to myself tomorrow, husband driving son back to Uni after Xmas and daughter out spending her gift cards and I can't wait: going to have a long bath, put PJs back on and not answer the door or phone if I can help it and watch a backlog of stuff recorded on TV over Christmas. Love 'em all dearly but can't wait for a quiet house ...just me and the rabbit sharing a bunch of grapes!

Jude xx

Good for you Jude! Luxuriate in the peace and quiet and do absolutely nothing except exactly what you want to do. I really have learned that if we don't take care of ourselves the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. I think sometimes we think we're invincible and can do it all with no respite and little consideration for ourselves, but eventually it catches up with us. Enjoy!! xx

Yep we all smack on a smile and carry on and then suddenly you realise that everyone expects you to carry on no matter what.

I've no idea where I am menopause wise. I went through a phase of hot flushes, night sweats and dreadful aches and pains in my hips. Got blood tests done and nope I'm not menopausal. Now that's pretty much stopped. I get the odd hot flush, maybe one a month and the odd night sweat say one every three or four months. My periods have never been regular and still aren't so that's no ****** guide at all.

When I thought I was pregnant the doctor asked the date if my last period. July I think was the answer. Did it not occur to you that might be pregnant before now he said. I looked at him blankly. It's December he said. I felt such a fool! But it was the dreadful morning sickness that made me think I was pregnant I later explained.

Just a quickie - I got shingles a few days after my 60th birthday last summer - from waist to toes and it was truly awful. I got through 5 bottles of calamine lotion in 4 weeks but SBC's Propropolis gel was a real godsend once the rash had gone. I was very sceptical at first but can recommend it thoroughly. Very soothing and healing. Best wishes to you Akimbo and to your mum Petpixie. x

Also meant to say there is a vaccination you can have to protect you - not 100% effective but does reduce the severity of an outbreak - not yet available on NHS, privately costs about £100. Unsuitable for people who have had chemo.

Last edited:
When did you use the propolis gel Disenchanted? Mum's blisters have scabbed over but still look pretty yukky ~ did you wait until the scabs had gone? Mum can't speak and so I don't know how painful it is for her. Will it be sore to wash her face for example? It's so difficult to know what to do for the best.

I've got propolis gel so thanks for the tip. My blisters are still just that, not scabbed over yet so I slapped some propolis on and didn't sting straight away but I am aware of it, probably at the scabby stage it would soothe. Weirdly the rash, though itchy isn't painful itself but the nerve pain is kind of hovering below the surface, not like anything i've experienced.

Off to bed, thanks for listening ladies.

Jude xx

I'm sure you are being as gentle as possible but it will inevitably be a bit sore. I was advised by a wonderful local pharmacist - seems more knowledgable than a lot of GPs including the one I first saw, unfortunately - not to use the Propolis gel until after the scabs had dried up completely as any form of moisturiser would reactivate them. He also said not to use aloe vera gel but I'm afraid I now can't remember why.

You can use calamine lotion while still at the yucky stage but don't attempt to wash off the residue between applications - it will just wear off. I suppose I was lucky that I could hide mine under trousers. I do feel for your mum, and Akimbo too, it seems never ending and really does make you feel miserable and often the pain goes on after the rash has disappeared.

Yep we all smack on a smile and carry on and then suddenly you realise that everyone expects you to carry on no matter what.

Ain't that the truth - just how I'm feeling at the moment! I've been given the name of a female accupuncturist who has had remarkable success at boosting impaired immune systems even when people are on meds. Seriously contemplating a visit very soon - will report back. Can't do any harm except lighten the wallet!

Interesting you mention accupuncture, my sister's bf from school is an accupuncturist, trained in China, I might ask for her number and have a chat about boosting immunity. It worked well as pain relief when I first had painful knees.

Jude xx

Sounds as if we could all do with a healthier 2013!

I wish someone had told me when I was a teenager that you should never take good health for granted - I might not have listened but it would have been the wisest bit of advice.

Latest posts

Back