Susan Boyle

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm probably the only person on the planet who has never watched X Factor or BGT - I only saw susan boyle after all the press hoo haa on Youtube. I got the measure of Simon Cowell after seeing him interviewed before the X factor began.

I have never watched Opera either (but I do like the music)

Strangely I want to hear and understand each word that singers are singing, - to me (and this is just a personal opinion) its all very much waaaaaaahing and woooooooohing, unless I download the lyrics for both operatic and pop songs from the last 30 years, I haven't a clue what the words are !!!! and I dont think I'm in the minority here.

OK, its an age thing, and yes I danced to all the groups in the 60's, but Frank Sinatra is the only one who "does" it for me - every word is distinguishable, along with other old time crooners. However, even Rod Stewart - since bringing out his American Song Book collection, has a clearer diction than before, but he can do no wrong anyway.

Amen to this Brissles! I freely admit I'm a snob when it comes to music. I've studied music, I work in the misuc industry (impossible to say that without sounding like a tosser haha!) and it makes me dispair to see what makes it big these days. Alicia Keys, one of the biggest stars out there, sings so flat it makes my fillings hurt. You can't tell me there aren't a hundred and one better singers out there who will never make it. They won't make it because we've all become lazy and expect television to provide us with everything, including our singers and musicians, talented or not. Everything is disposable too so we might thing someone is fab now but only until next years winner comes along. And what of those who won and still went nowhere? What does that illustrate? The people loved them, voted for them but didn't buy the music? No, because they were getting it for free every wek on telly and that was fine, ask them to pay for it and they don't want to know.
The problem I have also with shows like X-factor is that firstly they make everyone think they can be famous, talent or not. Secondly, there's no back up to those who might struggle a bit and those who don't make it/win. Imagine having your dreams dangled in front of you for weeks on end, singing on a massive stage, achieving so much, working so hard. Then you get dropped before the final 2 or 3. You might get some work doing the tour but after that, what do you do? Simon Cowell isn't answering your calls, the TV station has nothing to do with it. Back in the day, record labels and to a lesser extend, publishers would look after their artists, good times and bad because there was mutual investment in the artist being well, doing well, being happy. It wasn't all sunshine and roses but it had to be better than making some kid believe they can make it, then taking it all away in the blink of an eye. Where do they go then? Tesco? The contestants are a commodity, useful as long as they are bawling on stage or have a good story but once the public are over it then so is Simon Cowell. There's a 14 year old on the Australia's Got Talent show at the moment. You can tell she COULD have an amazing career because she has a stunning voice. But she should be studying with a good teacher, taking her time to build her voice and her confidence at least for another 2 to 3 years. But the show doesn't care, her parents don't seem to want to know ($$ in the eyes maybe) and you just know it's not going to go well. She's so shy, completely naive, from a small country town, had never even held a microphone before the show. In the last few weeks she's been tarted up, they've slapped on the makeup and hey presto, instant star. I just don't see how that can bode well for her.

It's interesting that often the people who despise the show know an aful lot about it. And take it more seriously that the other 98% ofh TV viewing public who just think its a laugh

It's a superbly made light entertainment programme. That's all. Serious musicians need not feel threatened.

Brissles you are not alone. I am proud to say I have never watched x factor, bgt, jungle thing, dancing stuff, big brother or Britain's got the dance factor or any other of those innane car crash reality programs :D

Incidentally, there is a film being made of Paul Potts, who just so happens to be married to one of my sister's oldest friends. I wish them no offence as they truly are fab people, but Wtf??!!! :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Brissles you are not alone. I am proud to say I have never watched x factor, bgt, jungle thing, dancing stuff, big brother or Britain's got the dance factor or any other of those innane car crash reality programs :D

Incidentally, there is a film being made of Paul Potts, who just so happens to be married to one of my sister's oldest friends. I wish them no offence as they truly are fab people, but Wtf??!!! :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

i've never watched any of them either. thought i was the only one cos it's all anyone seems to talk about.

Before these programmes came along the Great British public complained endlessly about the dearth of family entertainment on tv on Saturday nights. Reality tv - in all its forms ie dancing, singing, cooking, skating, messing about in the jungle or being ensconced in a house with strangers - was the solution. I doubt there are many people who have never watched any of them.

It serves a purpose, gives some people their fifteen minutes of fame and makes huge piles of dosh for the likes of Simon Cowell. As long as no-one gets hurt - back to Susan Boyle again - it's a win win situation.

i always assumed there's so many of them because it's cheap tv. with all those unknowns clamouring for their 15 mins of fame and all those out of work 'celebs' wanting to get their mug on tv again, it's mutually symbiotic. the cost of making that compared to something like downton abbey must be miniscule.

The great British public is very fickle. They like to see celebs who they imagine have pots of money and a cushy life etc suffer starvation and all kinds of humiliation in a supposed jungle but on the other hand they also like to see a middle aged woman with learning difficulties from a council house in a small Scottish town have success. Half the time I don`t think talent comes into it, hence the VT tapes of single mums living in high rise flats struggling on benefits and wanting to make a better life for their kids by being on the X factor or ex jailbirds coming off drugs to try to make it as a singer, or someone from an abused background working in a supermarket grow in confidence, or a grown man sobbing cos he`s singing for his Nan and so on and so on, the list is endless. The programme makers know exactly which buttons to press ie. give the public a sob story or a hard luck story or a kiddy which can`t sing for toffee but looks cute to all the grannies etc and they`ve got the audience in their hands. If they didn`t show the VT`s or tell us about anybody`s backgrounds or problems and just shepherded them onto a stage just to stand there and sing and then shepherd them off again then I`m sure the results would often be completely different. It`s sheer manipulation and people fall for it and love it and as Disenchanted said, it replaces Saturday night at the London palladium as family entertainment.

i always assumed there's so many of them because it's cheap tv. with all those unknowns clamouring for their 15 mins of fame and all those out of work 'celebs' wanting to get their mug on tv again, it's mutually symbiotic. the cost of making that compared to something like downton abbey must be miniscule.

I think that is exactly the point - cheap to make and endless possibilities. From Great British Bake Off to Embarrassing Bodies and Country House Rescue to The Only Way is Essex - the sublime to the ridiculous but all reality shows.

No different to opertunity knocks which was run on tv from the early 60's so hardly a new concept , then new faces which made people like lenny henry a household name , pushy mother Judy Garland , no different to a pushy mother of a child today

Its simply recycled viewing ideas , some get work from it, some dont

Re the great British public being fickle (sorry cant reply with quote as I keep getting the sodding advert pop up)

Doesnt it speak volumes about the maturity and mentality of said public. Ok, these reality shows are fine for teenagers and the like, (I lived for Ready Steady Go everyweek, and those a bit older would watch Six Five Special religiously ), but I despair when I hear the grandad generation discussing X Factor and the rest. It would have been a real turn off and a bit pathetic listening to my Dad seriously talking about Top of the Pops in the 60s ! Yes its entertainment but surely not for this age group and above. As for New Faces and Opp Knocks, a lot of genuine acts of all descriptions came out of them - many we still remember today. It will be interesting to see in 20 years time how many names will be remembered from BGT.

Sorry to any fans of hers but I've never understood what all the fuss is about. Maybe it's that her style of music is not my taste but I don't think her voice is that great.

I think you raise a very valid point here. She has a pleasant, tuneful voice, but had she looked in any way OTHER than how she did, she would never have rated a second glance. I feel that something similar is being done regarding Lisa Riley and Strictly. She dances VERY well, but whittle her down to a size 8 and her dancing is no more spectacular than all the other good, size 8 dancers. The HUGE difference is that Lisa seems to find the experience so much more enjoyable than does Susan.

Amen to this Brissles! I freely admit I'm a snob when it comes to music. I've studied music, I work in the misuc industry (impossible to say that without sounding like a tosser haha!) and it makes me dispair to see what makes it big these days. Alicia Keys, one of the biggest stars out there, sings so flat it makes my fillings hurt. You can't tell me there aren't a hundred and one better singers out there who will never make it. They won't make it because we've all become lazy and expect television to provide us with everything, including our singers and musicians, talented or not. Everything is disposable too so we might thing someone is fab now but only until next years winner comes along. And what of those who won and still went nowhere? What does that illustrate? The people loved them, voted for them but didn't buy the music? No, because they were getting it for free every wek on telly and that was fine, ask them to pay for it and they don't want to know.
The problem I have also with shows like X-factor is that firstly they make everyone think they can be famous, talent or not. Secondly, there's no back up to those who might struggle a bit and those who don't make it/win. Imagine having your dreams dangled in front of you for weeks on end, singing on a massive stage, achieving so much, working so hard. Then you get dropped before the final 2 or 3. You might get some work doing the tour but after that, what do you do? Simon Cowell isn't answering your calls, the TV station has nothing to do with it. Back in the day, record labels and to a lesser extend, publishers would look after their artists, good times and bad because there was mutual investment in the artist being well, doing well, being happy. It wasn't all sunshine and roses but it had to be better than making some kid believe they can make it, then taking it all away in the blink of an eye. Where do they go then? Tesco? The contestants are a commodity, useful as long as they are bawling on stage or have a good story but once the public are over it then so is Simon Cowell. There's a 14 year old on the Australia's Got Talent show at the moment. You can tell she COULD have an amazing career because she has a stunning voice. But she should be studying with a good teacher, taking her time to build her voice and her confidence at least for another 2 to 3 years. But the show doesn't care, her parents don't seem to want to know ($$ in the eyes maybe) and you just know it's not going to go well. She's so shy, completely naive, from a small country town, had never even held a microphone before the show. In the last few weeks she's been tarted up, they've slapped on the makeup and hey presto, instant star. I just don't see how that can bode well for her.

I agree with all you say. I'm a classically trained singer and I'm still reeling at the memory of what happened to Charlotte Church. I cringe when I recall the small girl, with undoubted potential, standing there singing operatic arias when her voice was no where close to being ready for it. It was either lack of musical knowledge of £sign led. I'm not surprised in any way, that she lost all sense of musical direction.

Opportunity Knocks, who could forget the muscle man who danced his pecs etc. Was that a talent? Cant decide, I know I cant do it :hi:
No different to opertunity knocks which was run on tv from the early 60's so hardly a new concept , then new faces which made people like lenny henry a household name , pushy mother Judy Garland , no different to a pushy mother of a child today

Its simply recycled viewing ideas , some get work from it, some dont

Re the great British public being fickle (sorry cant reply with quote as I keep getting the sodding advert pop up)

Doesnt it speak volumes about the maturity and mentality of said public. Ok, these reality shows are fine for teenagers and the like, (I lived for Ready Steady Go everyweek, and those a bit older would watch Six Five Special religiously ), but I despair when I hear the grandad generation discussing X Factor and the rest. It would have been a real turn off and a bit pathetic listening to my Dad seriously talking about Top of the Pops in the 60s ! Yes its entertainment but surely not for this age group and above. As for New Faces and Opp Knocks, a lot of genuine acts of all descriptions came out of them - many we still remember today. It will be interesting to see in 20 years time how many names will be remembered from BGT.

I doubt many if any will still be around in 20 years time, entertainment like everything else is disposable and pretty soon something else will take its place. As for the older generation talking or being interested in X factor and the like and it being cringe worthy, well that`s always been the case. We all spend pages on here discussing clothes, makeup, skin care and other stuff when the younger generation think anybody over the age of 25 is out of touch and shouldn`t. But we don`t sit back and leave it to their age group. In my Mum`s day it would have been unheard of for middle aged women to spend time doing such things. It`s irrelevant who watches it or who talks about it, the fact is its like Marmite, some people love it or hate it and at the end of the day everybody`s tv has an off switch. My husband can`t understand me chatting on here because in his mind forums are full of attention seeking people who like the sound of their own voice, he`s wrong but frankly who the hell cares what he thinks and life`s too short to have to convince people why you enjoy watching certain tv progs, writing on forums or joining in with discussions, It`s all down to choice and thankfully we`re all lucky enough to have that choice.

I doubt many if any will still be around in 20 years time, entertainment like everything else is disposable and pretty soon something else will take its place. As for the older generation talking or being interested in X factor and the like and it being cringe worthy, well that`s always been the case. We all spend pages on here discussing clothes, makeup, skin care and other stuff when the younger generation think anybody over the age of 25 is out of touch and shouldn`t. But we don`t sit back and leave it to their age group. In my Mum`s day it would have been unheard of for middle aged women to spend time doing such things. It`s irrelevant who watches it or who talks about it, the fact is its like Marmite, some people love it or hate it and at the end of the day everybody`s tv has an off switch. My husband can`t understand me chatting on here because in his mind forums are full of attention seeking people who like the sound of their own voice, he`s wrong but frankly who the hell cares what he thinks and life`s too short to have to convince people why you enjoy watching certain tv progs, writing on forums or joining in with discussions, It`s all down to choice and thankfully we`re all lucky enough to have that choice.

Well said Vienna (BTW I cant stand it!)

Yep..

Ditto! I concur 100%. She is not being exploited in the least. She entered the show in the knowledge that her lifestyle would take a different route should she win. Obviously, she was attracted by the fame and fortune victory would afford her, or else she would not have entered BGT in the first place. She has been extremely fortunate to have been given the opportunities she has and is now, thanks to the show and what is widely regarded as her talent, living a more prosperous life. Although she can sing, I would not say she has a great voice.

Totally agree with you there! The only ones I feel are exploited are the poor little kiddies who get pushed onto programmes like this :angry:

I agree with all you say. I'm a classically trained singer and I'm still reeling at the memory of what happened to Charlotte Church. I cringe when I recall the small girl, with undoubted potential, standing there singing operatic arias when her voice was no where close to being ready for it. It was either lack of musical knowledge of £sign led. I'm not surprised in any way, that she lost all sense of musical direction.

I never cease to be amazed at the occupation and skills that all you Forumites have !!!!!!! What a real diverse lot we are, and I thinks its GREAT !

Well said Vienna (BTW I cant stand it!)

Me neither but we babysit my husband`s 9 year old grand daughter some Saturday nights and she loves it as does her grandad but to each their own choice.

Latest posts

Back