Stockpiling...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Thank you. I wrote recently about being a generally contented person & I've always been aware of how fortunate I am, even more at the moment when there are billions worse off than me which is why my dark thoughts have worried me. I've always told my children, biological & the borrowed ones at school, to 'logic it out' when they had to problem solve & I've tried to do that this weekend. I miss my grandchildren, especially the treasure I look after, but know I'll see them sooner or later; I called my sister & said it's not even the changes to my life that's getting to me it's all my concerns about others. She took one of her deep breaths & asked if I'm aware of any specific cases of animal or child cruelty, domestic abuse or organised crime taking over Italy, my answer was "No, but it must be happening". I was told to put on my big girl pants & stop giving in to my overactive imagination, she also said that she didn't know what my long-suffering husband had done to deserve a life with Moaning Myrtle..! ❤

Me too Donna. I'm on my own, no family apart from a brother 200 miles away, and another brother a bit closer. I get the occasional phone call from them, and nieces and nephews only ring to thank me for something. Even when I had those closes to me (Mum, Dad, Husband, short term partner) pass away, I was on my own at the time, so endured all the grief without anyone to put an arm around me, therefore those who DO have someone to hug and be close to, then be thankful that you DO have them to be able to do that when this is over, because there's a lot of us out there who dont, and will remain on their own no matter what.

I 'm on my own too, no family. And when I see my friends it is always outside the home, never here. So I suppose it isnt all that much different for me, mentally. When I see friends it is always to go somewhere, even if just a café or a bar. So I guess I find it easier to replace such outings with phone calls than if I had grandkids charging around every week.

However I used to know someone who could have written the exact same paragraph and I could guarantee she is climbing the walls. Or suffering severe depression.

I'm on my own, single, no kids, and I've gone from working at least 55 hours a week and talking to at least 50 people a day to absolutely nothing since March 21st.
The only people I have spoken to in person since then has been the check out staff on my two trips to the supermarket, and the only person has phoned to see if I'm ok is an ex that I'm still friends with.
I've left messages for both of my sisters but they haven't replied, we never have been close because they are much older than me and I am very different to them, we have nothing in common except sharing parents and after they died we drifted apart.
My friends are busy with their families, supporting elderly parents, run off their feet with their children etc.
If I die in my sleep tonight I doubt anyone would realise until the lock down is over and I haven't turned up for my first shift at work.

This is the tragedy SS, those who are in lockdown with another person might be being driven up the walls, but at least its human contact with someone to talk to - because its a 'presence' in the house. Like you, even in 'normal' times I often think the worse, that if I suffered a stroke, heart attack or pass away, particularly during the night, then it could be weeks before I could be found, and I have a little dog.

Oh, ENOUGH WOMAN, get a grip, stop maudling, it 'aint gonna happen !!! :eek: I'll continue to think lipstick, new frocks, and my addiction to Homesense - it always makes me feel better.

It`s ok not to feel ok. When people are used to busy lives and seeing their friends and family and then suddenly those busy lives dry up, then our minds go into overdrive and our emotions do too.
I miss seeing my sons and grandchildren but one son suffers from a severe lung problem so has gone into a complete isolation and he and his partner are sleeping in separate bedrooms because she is a doctor. He spends most of his time in their study whilst she stays in their lounge when off duty.
Another son works in a childrens home and has been doing 24 hour shifts and sleeping there because of staff self isolating or off sick with covid. His partner is a nurse so they too are being very careful on the rare occasions they`re at home together.
My other son has been a soldier for 27 years and during those years I`ve had umpteen occasions when he`s been in Afghanistan or Iraq or other war zones and I haven`t heard from him for weeks on end and dreaded hearing the news when the death of another soldier would be announced and that his/her name wouldn`t be made public until the family were notified and I`d be asking myself was it him and dreading a knock on the door. At least during this pandemic I know he`s in this Country and fighting a different kind of enemy. Soldiers are at great risk too and in barracks they are told when off duty they can`t mingle and have to stay in their homes or accommodation.
My grandchildren are fine and that`s the main thing. They`re fit and healthy, being kept occupied and even though I miss seeing them, their safety is paramount. We`ll catch up with hugs and cuddles when all of this is over and they`ve enjoyed learning to cook, bake, garden and catch up online with their school work. Their Mum on Friday evenings arranges an online get together via one of the group chat platforms with some of their school friends and parents in the background and they talk like school kids do about all kinds of nonsense for an hour.
Kids are adaptable plus they have short memories and when this is over they will find it easier than the rest of us to return to everyday life or a new version of everyday life. We adults are creatures of habit, set in our ways and hate change, it unsettles us, makes us worried or anxious and of course our life experiences make us realise the risks involved and just how serious it is. There`s little point in fighting the down moments, we all have them, ride them , accept them and then make the most of the up moments because we`re all on one massive big rollercoaster and there`s sod all we can do about it more`s the pity.
We can help save the World by staying at home, lying in front of the telly, eating chocolate and wearing our pyjamas, we are super heroes lol

Last edited:
It`s ok not to feel ok. When people are used to busy lives and seeing their friends and family and then suddenly those busy lives dry up, then our minds go into overdrive and our emotions do too.
I miss seeing my sons and grandchildren but one son suffers from a severe lung problem so has gone into a complete isolation and he and his partner are sleeping in separate bedrooms because she is a doctor. He spends most of his time in their study whilst she stays in their lounge when off duty.
Another son works in a childrens home and has been doing 24 hour shifts and sleeping there because of staff self isolating or off sick with covid. His partner is a nurse so they too are being very careful on the rare occasions they`re at home together.
My other son has been a soldier for 27 years and during those years I`ve had umpteen occasions when he`s been in Afghanistan or Iraq or other war zones and I haven`t heard from him for weeks on end and dreaded hearing the news when the death of another soldier would be announced and that his/her name wouldn`t be made public until the family were notified and I`d be asking myself was it him and dreading a knock on the door. At least during this pandemic I know he`s in this Country and fighting a different kind of enemy. Soldiers are at great risk too and in barracks they are told when off duty they can`t mingle and have to stay in their homes or accommodation.
My grandchildren are fine and that`s the main thing. They`re fit and healthy, being kept occupied and even though I miss seeing them, their safety is paramount. We`ll catch up with hugs and cuddles when all of this is over and they`ve enjoyed learning to cook, bake, garden and catch up online with their school work. Their Mum on Friday evenings arranges an online get together via one of the group chat platforms with some of their school friends and parents in the background and they talk like school kids do about all kinds of nonsense for an hour.
Kids are adaptable plus they have short memories and when this is over they will find it easier than the rest of us to return to everyday life or a new version of everyday life. We adults are creatures of habit, set in our ways and hate change, it unsettles us, makes us worried or anxious and of course our life experiences make us realise the risks involved and just how serious it is. There`s little point in fighting the down moments, we all have them, ride them , accept them and then make the most of the up moments because we`re all on one massive big rollercoaster and there`s sod all we can do about it more`s the pity.
We can help save the World by staying at home, lying in front of the telly, eating chocolate and wearing our pyjamas, we are super heroes lol
🦸‍♀️

On a slightly lighted note trolly dash day has been changed to a Monday

Plus side. No queue so much quicker. Tesco had compost.
Marks had hand sanitizer in 3 sizes. 500ml pump approx £11.50, 150 ml £3 or £3.50 and handbag size for approx £1.

Minus - no salad type stuff I got the last pack of tomatoes and there was nothing else but the said they had just had a delivery but would be a while before out on shelves.

I am like that, one older brother in Canada who if lucky I manage to catch on Skype every few weeks. He spends the entire time talking about things to do with his life I am lucky to get a word in now and then. A grown nephew who I just see posting stuff on Facebook but never messages me, a cousin who lives in England and every few years comes over, SIL also comes over every few years and mainly stays with her best friend from school and me for a few days only, aunt 85 who is actually my mum' cousin phone her actually she knows more people than I do as grown children all married with grown children of their own. So I am and had to be self-sufficient since my early 20s as no one else was going to do it for me.
😘😘

Me too Donna. I'm on my own, no family apart from a brother 200 miles away, and another brother a bit closer. I get the occasional phone call from them, and nieces and nephews only ring to thank me for something. Even when I had those closes to me (Mum, Dad, Husband, short term partner) pass away, I was on my own at the time, so endured all the grief without anyone to put an arm around me, therefore those who DO have someone to hug and be close to, then be thankful that you DO have them to be able to do that when this is over, because there's a lot of us out there who dont, and will remain on their own no matter what.
😘😘😘

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 16.31.12.png

I just a phone call from the council a lovely young-sounding Ross. He wanted to let me know if I need groceries etc they were there to help. Had I family to do things for me? Just phone them if I do need help with things.

The only contact I've had from my local council was a reminder to pay my council tax!

Latest posts

Back