Stocking Fillers

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Just heard my first stocking filler suggestion. The TSV TILI face scrubber thingy. £16.98 plus £2.95 p&p. Total £19.93.

perhaps my middle name is Scrooge ? Apart from my 5 great nieces and nephews (all under 7), I don’t spend much more than £20 each on the main gift for the rest of my family.

granted I buy for 21 people so have to budget well, i might well spend more on stocking fillers if I bought for fewer people.

Just heard my first stocking filler suggestion. The TSV TILI face scrubber thingy. £16.98 plus £2.95 p&p. Total £19.93.

perhaps my middle name is Scrooge ? Apart from my 5 great nieces and nephews (all under 7), I don’t spend much more than £20 each on the main gift for the rest of my family.

granted I buy for 21 people so have to budget well, i might well spend more on stocking fillers if I bought for fewer people.
I know what you mean about stocking fillers etc. I have three daughters and husbands / partners and ten grandchildren eight of whom have husbands/partners and five great grandchildren. It’s getting more and more expensive for me and I may have to rethink present giving. I intend giving gifts of money as I did the last few years but I might have to juggle the amounts. I have to add they all keep telling me not to bother but it’s a habit that’s hard to break. And then there are birthdays!!!

I stopped Christmas presents and cards a couple of years ago. In times gone by, if we wanted something, we waited for our birthday, or Christmas, and could look forward to the excitement of receiving it. Nowadays everyone has what they want immediately, so at Christmas you are just buying for the sake of it. I now send a donation to a local cat rescue , and ask my family to do the same when it’s my birthday.

I confess that I love giving presents to everyone. Sorry this is a bit boring !

during the 4 months or so before Christmas I don’t buy small things for myself as I usually do. I ‘save them up’ and add to a Wish list on Amazon. Then everyone fights over them. Things such as a paperback, hand cream, gardening gloves etc. Under £10 and many under £5.

Eric’s Mum I was in the bedroom with my Alexa on heard Simon say Stocking Filler. I knew it was the face cleaner but couldn’t see the item details on screen. A quick thought on the item price and the possible postage cost, I came up in my head £20!!! Thinking Simon maybe ‘Stocking Filler’ to you, but not to too many, who are not paid QVC wages and other enabled gratitudes.

I confess that I love giving presents to everyone. Sorry this is a bit boring !

during the 4 months or so before Christmas I don’t buy small things for myself as I usually do. I ‘save them up’ and add to a Wish list on Amazon. Then everyone fights over them. Things such as a paperback, hand cream, gardening gloves etc. Under £10 and many under £5.
Fabulous idea!

I only buy one present and that person buys to me & Mr L so I sort of double up in value.

Mr L and I no longer buy to each other just have a bit extra on holiday as we buy what we want when we want it so there is no point. Sometime we would buy a wee pressie to each other (well really more him to me) for no particular reason and those are really nice as unexpected but they are not extravagant perhaps something in a sale.

As people have passed away I made a point of not adding anyone new and friends decided not to bother some years ago.

I know a number of families who buy gifts for the children & do a Secret Santa for the adults with a set budget & everyone writing down a few ideas of what they'd like.
I think this is a great idea. It can get so out of control and you have to have a sensible chat with each other as otherwise, people struggle to know what to do, what to buy, how much can they afford, etc.

Eric’s Mum I was in the bedroom with my Alexa on heard Simon say Stocking Filler. I knew it was the face cleaner but couldn’t see the item details on screen. A quick thought on the item price and the possible postage cost, I came up in my head £20!!! Thinking Simon maybe ‘Stocking Filler’ to you, but not to too many, who are not paid QVC wages and other enabled gratitudes.
Easy when he gets the ‘stocking filler’ free gratis. We’d all have full to bulging Christmas stockings if we ‘worked’ for QVC as a presenter. It makes you wonder what they actually buy themselves and what their families think of said ‘stocking filler’ gift when they know it was given free and not paid for by hard earned cash 😡👿

I must admit me and the husband do spend a lot, a lot, at Christmas, not because anyone expects a lot in fact the opposite, our sons keep telling us not to spend too much......but we always do. 😊

We do it because we love to give and see our loved ones smile, our sons and their wives are lucky enough to have excellent jobs that COVID hasn’t cruelly snatched away from them and they can buy whatever they want for themselves and their children, but we love to buy for them and our gorgeous grandkiddies, we’re fortunate to be able to, don’t get me wrong I know it’s the thought that counts and my heart goes out to people who’ve lost their jobs and struggling on a tight budget, as if things aren’t hard enough for them this year.

I think this is a great idea. It can get so out of control and you have to have a sensible chat with each other as otherwise, people struggle to know what to do, what to buy, how much can they afford, etc.
I think a lot of families would like to scale back but no one wants to be the one to suggest it in case they are thought of as miserable and there is always someone who doesn’t stick to the “rules”.

however this year when a very large proportion of the UK are finding it difficult to cover day to day bills it might be easier to get it up and running.

Mind you I’m constantly reading articles of single mothers who have finished their Christmas shopping having spent thousands on each of their kids.

This year has been tough for many people. Job worries, health worries, money worries etc and also the strain and stress of being unable to spend time with family and friends. Holidays cancelled, unable to visit loved ones in homes or hospitals and mental health issues spiralling. I think people are looking at Christmas being the only light on the horizon and the only thing to look forward to in what has been an eventful year for all the wrong reasons.
I`ve seen Christmas trees up and decorated long before they usually would be and I suspect many people will spend more money than they can really afford to under present circumstances but they will take the attitude of worrying about the credit card bills/overdraft later. The current lockdown hasn`t helped and folks stuck at home will have hit internet shopping like never before.
Mr V regularly runs a store manager to the Trafford Centre and his store is doing click and collect, people order online and then collect in store and he told Mr V he has never know such a bumper year and a large percentage of customers are buying using their personal accounts ie buy now pay later.
It`s as if people are viewing Christmas like Custer`s last stand, and sod the consequences and let`s just go for it but the casualties will come later in my opinion. Debt, more worries, depression, added stress and all for one day.

Our Christmas will be quite cheap this year. Only family members under 11 will be getting anything.

Everyone who knows us knows our finances changed a few years ago so we've been tapering off for a while but I do buy my best friend three ridiculous/funny/ stocking filler gifts, all under a fiver. It's a bit of a competition between us, one which gets more competitive every year. As we're both fairly old, one of them this year will be a bar of red carbolic soap. More useful in these times than ridiculous but funny as we always have p-taking about our ages. I'm pondering a whoopee cushion but unwrapping it (we use old newspaper and magazines) will be a bit 'deflating' (pun!) unless I can place it under a seat cushion...

I don't buy for Mr AE specifically as be both buy as needed at best price these days. I fail to see the point of buying until the sales as we both know Santa won't be making a visit down our chimney. Both our families, however, go absolutely crazy for Christmas (then borrow money for the rest of the year). We've opted out for the last few years and it's a huge relief.

His family call us Mr and Mrs Scrooge for some reason :mad:. They have no sense of responsibility and expect us to slap everything on credit cards with no hope of paying them off. What's Christmassy about that?

Our Christmas will be quite cheap this year. Only family members under 11 will be getting anything.

Everyone who knows us knows our finances changed a few years ago so we've been tapering off for a while but I do buy my best friend three ridiculous/funny/ stocking filler gifts, all under a fiver. It's a bit of a competition between us, one which gets more competitive every year. As we're both fairly old, one of them this year will be a bar of red carbolic soap. More useful in these times than ridiculous but funny as we always have p-taking about our ages. I'm pondering a whoopee cushion but unwrapping it (we use old newspaper and magazines) will be a bit 'deflating' (pun!) unless I can place it under a seat cushion...

I don't buy for Mr AE specifically as be both buy as needed at best price these days. I fail to see the point of buying until the sales as we both know Santa won't be making a visit down our chimney. Both our families, however, go absolutely crazy for Christmas (then borrow money for the rest of the year). We've opted out for the last few years and it's a huge relief.

His family call us Mr and Mrs Scrooge for some reason :mad:. They have no sense of responsibility and expect us to slap everything on credit cards with no hope of paying them off. What's Christmassy about that?
Income shaming, that's what I'd call it. So insensitive.
Keep sticking to your guns.

Income shaming, that's what I'd call it. So insensitive.
Keep sticking to your guns.

Yes, thank you. They're all VERY insensitive. I have skin like a rhino but I do feel for my OH as he does get upset by them. But hey ho. There seem to be more people like them around these days. It's just the way life seems to be going.

Wow! I sound like a right old fart and I'm not 60 yet!

Latest posts

Back