Social Responsibilty

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

yorkrose26

Registered Shopper
Given the publicity surrounding drones is it really responsible for QVC to be still selling them? I know that they are one of the 'must-have' gadgets for this year, but with the accidents and injury's caused by them I am wondering whether they are putting profit over responsibility what with this and Denis Basso (and probably others that we don't fully know about), I am wondering if QVC is on a very slippery road.

I don't think there are many retailers who are socially responsible. They will claim to be, but ultimately profit outweighs morals. (But can you really blame them? they will only sell what people want to buy, hence is it really the responsibility of the public who create a demand for such things by buying them?)

I agree, retailers don't have 'morals' - look at the furore when inappropriate clothing is marketed for 7 year olds, and its only when Mumsnet and the like start shouting the odds that it gets withdrawn from sale. But I can see your point Yorkrose, that Q isn't a manufacturer, and should be mindful of their audience - but at times they 'aint !

I think the ones with cameras are the problem, they are going to licence them. The others are just like the mini choppers and planes that people fly.

I have seen IW also selling Drones.

The IW ones have cameras and they made a great thing of this you can take pictures from different angles which will look fantastic on your facebook page etc. Well I wouldn't like to have one flying over my garden and near me. I have seen youths flying one while out walking the dog and they have a fair range.

I'm sure they will continue to be sold by everyone until people get fed up with them hovering about and public opinion forces change .

Drones are being sold all over the place. Even John Lewis and ToysRUs have a large selection.

They are currently legal so I can't see why QVC should be expected to take a stand when they would be swimming against the tide.

Tricky one ... how different are these to remote controlled planes and helicopters?

Anhy of them can go wrong and be dangerous in the wrong hands.

What I don't get is that it seems to be legal for people to fly their drones over other people's property, but it seems to be illegal for the people whose property is invaded to take a swipe at the drones! Now that's bonkers and totally the wrong way around, in my opinion. Obviously any action should not endanger the safety of others (no shooting down with BB guns and the like).

There are plenty of things which are all the rage but actually can be extremely dangerous (those hovverboard things). Mind you, there are everyday things that can equally be a threat to life and limb (remembering watching from the window as my brother cycled his new christmas present bicycle straight into the path of an oncoming car one Christmas - fortunately the car was going extremely slowly).

Generally it seems that legislation has to play catch-up where any kind of new technology is concerned.... So I dare say we can look forward to some kind of law at some point to deal with the most fractious aspects of these drones.

I have more of an issue with the blasted 'sky lanterns' - that can land anywhere, and more often than not where farm animals are !

Fireworks have been used by ordinary members of the public for years and can be dangerous even when used responsibly and of course can be used irresponsibly too. One of our neighbours had a firework party on Nov 15th - well past the dates we keep our cats in. It was very windy that night and most of the airborne ones landed in our garden. One of our cats got such a fright she did not go out for days. I am still finding bits of rockets in our garden. Personally I am amazed the public can still buy them and would prefer that they were kept for organised displays.

Fireworks have been used by ordinary members of the public for years and can be dangerous even when used responsibly and of course can be used irresponsibly too. One of our neighbours had a firework party on Nov 15th - well past the dates we keep our cats in. It was very windy that night and most of the airborne ones landed in our garden. One of our cats got such a fright she did not go out for days. I am still finding bits of rockets in our garden. Personally I am amazed the public can still buy them and would prefer that they were kept for organised displays.

Couldn't agree more.

I too think fireworks should only be for organised displays. Round here the locals start letting them off in October and carry on way past the 5th. This is a poor area and although the general public are always bleating there is no money for food, it would seem there is plenty for bangers and rockets. Never seen drones around here but no doubt they'll be the next big thing.

CC

There are plenty of things which are all the rage but actually can be extremely dangerous (those hovverboard things). Mind you, there are everyday things that can equally be a threat to life and limb (remembering watching from the window as my brother cycled his new christmas present bicycle straight into the path of an oncoming car one Christmas - fortunately the car was going extremely slowly).

I thought the use of hoverboards in public places was illegal.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/12/hoverboards-illegal-pavements-roads-scooters

The items themselves aren't dangerous, it's the irresistible people that use them that are dangerous, having said that responsible or not, I do despise fireworks and each year I wish and hope they get banned.

Just wanted to add that my thoughts about fireworks and limiting them to organised displays is not just out of concern for pets but the many humans who get injured each year too.

Oh come on, far more people get injured in car accidents etc. Life is full of risks.

Our local council display got cancelled this year because of the fog and a couple of years ago cancelled because of heavy rain so many people reverted to buying their own.

I don't think councils should be spending tax payers money to chuck a load of expensive fireworks up into the air ,but that's a separate issue .

I remember my elderly dad having a firework put through his letter box 25 years ago.Anti social behaviour always makes it bad for the socially responsible,but I'm not really into banning things unless the danger becomes overwhelming.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back