sick of £5.95 P&P on every item!!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Hi All, best love & wishes for 2013 to you! :mysmilie_480::mysmilie_480:

I always do an internet browse for the sales after arriving home on NYear's eve/morning. Strange but it seems a lot of retailers drop the prices again on time for Jan 1st.
I bought 4 dresses massively reduced from DorothyPerkins.com from the Kardashian range, (dresses now down to £15 from £50) AND they gave another 10% off at the checkout AND FREE P&P on orders over £30. ALSO they give you a FREE parcel collect label to post items back, (brilliant as they have so many outlets where you can drop your return parcel off, usually later opening than the post office & very local). I was very impressed with Dotty P's sale dresses, nicely tailored & in a variety of lengths. They also had some lovely "illusion style" straight/pencil dresses, (the ones with black panels down the side with a different colour on the front, very slimming & very on trend now). I may buy 1 or 2 of those tomorrow.

SO QVC TAKE NOTE PLEASE, not only is my outward and any subsequent return postage FREE with Dorothy Perkins their fashion for all ages basically puts yours well in the shade as do their competitive prices! Needless to say QVC hasn't had any sale clothing or shoe business from me recently. With the exception of Diane Gilman's jeans, which I love & regularly purchase throughout the year. They're a beautiful fit, reasonably priced & unlike some of your other "fashion houses" don't make clothes that look like they should be on a 90+ year old. Nothing wrong with that, I just wish QVC would do more for us age 40+ ladies who want to look stylish, elegant & trendy.

Last edited:
i second diane gilman - must be the only range that's not technicolour polyester

the p and p really puts me off and Q have lost a lot of my custom because of it. For example I used the Christmas easy pay code to buy some boots and had also considered getting that Ninja food processor but ended up only getting the boots as I am NOT going to payover £10 have two items sent to me. It's so random too, I have tired to guess what crazy formula thye use to work out the charges as it seems to cost as much to have a ring sent out as a piece of kitchen equipment. do they have some sort of ratio of cost to guesstimated returns, is it proportionate to the retail value of the item, or do they just think of a number and then double it?

i've always wondered that too SS cos there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Does anyone know how Amazon handle returns?

I bought a very heavy expensive book from OH's wish list, but someone else bought the same book. I would like to exchange it for another wish list item.

Do they collect? Can you take it to a collection point? Is there a time limit?

This will be my first Amazon return after many years of shopping, so any advice will be appreciated.

the p and p really puts me off and Q have lost a lot of my custom because of it. For example I used the Christmas easy pay code to buy some boots and had also considered getting that Ninja food processor but ended up only getting the boots as I am NOT going to payover £10 have two items sent to me. It's so random too, I have tired to guess what crazy formula thye use to work out the charges as it seems to cost as much to have a ring sent out as a piece of kitchen equipment. do they have some sort of ratio of cost to guesstimated returns, is it proportionate to the retail value of the item, or do they just think of a number and then double it?

I think the item value is indeed linked to the p&p, it's the only explanation for some of the weird figures they quote to post various items!

The p&p puts me off too, especially when buying cheaper items or those from Clearance or Last Clicks, example:

Saw a chunky bracelet I rather liked, QVC original price £27.76 with p&p at £3.95, making a total of £31.71, with the p&p making up approx. 12.5% of the total cost.

Same bracelet in Last Clicks, price £6.94 with p&p obviously still at £3.95, making a total of £10.89, with the p&p now making up an eye-watering just over 36% of the total cost!

Now I didn't buy the bracelet originally as I thought it was somewhat overpriced for what it was & although it is now less than a third of its total original price & despite me being a reasonably intelligent person quite capable of understanding that 'free p&p' just means it is incorporated into the item price somewhere (a la eBay etc.), psychologically I still balk at the idea of over a third of its current price being made up of the p&p, so probably won't buy it now either!

:dull:

I think the item value is indeed linked to the p&p, it's the only explanation for some of the weird figures they quote to post various items!

The p&p puts me off too, especially when buying cheaper items or those from Clearance or Last Clicks, example:

Saw a chunky bracelet I rather liked, QVC original price £27.76 with p&p at £3.95, making a total of £31.71, with the p&p making up approx. 12.5% of the total cost.

Same bracelet in Last Clicks, price £6.94 with p&p obviously still at £3.95, making a total of £10.89, with the p&p now making up an eye-watering just over 36% of the total cost!

Now I didn't buy the bracelet originally as I thought it was somewhat overpriced for what it was & although it is now less than a third of its total original price & despite me being a reasonably intelligent person quite capable of understanding that 'free p&p' just means it is incorporated into the item price somewhere (a la eBay etc.), psychologically I still balk at the idea of over a third of its current price being made up of the p&p, so probably won't buy it now either!

:dull:

......but if you love it enough, is it worth £11 to you? That's how I justify clearance price jewellery to myself.......

......but if you love it enough, is it worth £11 to you? That's how I justify clearance price jewellery to myself.......

Indeed, clearly I don't love it enough Dis, or I'd have bought it as you say, I should be grateful to 'em, they're doing me a favour & saving me money really! LOL

I buy a lot of stuff on eBay, never balk at paying a reasonable p&p for individual items but the difference is, on there I can choose to buy only from sellers who will happily combine/reduce p&p costs if I buy more than one item from them. With QVC you're ripped off for the full amount even if you buy the same blasted item in two different colourways, so I guess it's a fairly deep down resentment thing generally as far as QVC & postage goes, hence my unwillingness to mentally only look at the total cost, in the exact same way I do on eBay?

Was watching IW this morning and although their p&p is £5.99 if you buy other things during the day you only pay the one p & p charge, and if one of the items is on flexi pay you can have the others added in too. QVC need to take note.

Does anyone know how Amazon handle returns?

I bought a very heavy expensive book from OH's wish list, but someone else bought the same book. I would like to exchange it for another wish list item.

Do they collect? Can you take it to a collection point? Is there a time limit?

This will be my first Amazon return after many years of shopping, so any advice will be appreciated.

You go into your amazon account order history and there will be an option under that particular item to return it. You can print out your label and postage may be free or it may be refunded when amazon get the package back. Sometimes there is an option to get a courier to collect - it depends on how they sent it out to you in the first place. The whole process is very easy and has always worked very well. They keep you informed by email too

Take yankee candles for example 3 large candle jars p&p £5.95 another set that only contains 2 large candles p&p also £5.95. Yea im awared they are fairly heavy but its unfair to charge the same p&p for both sets.

i must have been lucky cos i've got several pairs - just ordered the usual size and they're all perfect.

I got the straight leg TSV a while back and they are the most comfortable jeans I've ever owned. They were on again just before Christmas and Diane confirmed they were the earlier TSV - I ordered and on arrival compared the garment numbers yeah success, until I tried them on. Too short in the rise and not at all the same fit. CS said they were taking them back as faulty.

Ive got another style as well and they are great but ordered a different size - presenters said on air that they would go up if in doubt and they were spot on.

Strange - some of the reviews confirmed the same experiences. You sound like you've had better luck.

I've always wanted to try the DG jeans but the reviews on sizing put me off. A lot of them said the waist measurement come up big.

I don't want to pay the P&P to find out

I've always wanted to try the DG jeans but the reviews on sizing put me off. A lot of them said the waist measurement come up big.

I don't want to pay the P&P to find out

Well if it's any help LE I'm pair shape size 10-12. I find DG jeans size 8 fit me perfectly. I have a couple of 10's too which are good if I've over indulged but to be honest there's little difference between the 2 sizes, 8 is slightly slimmer on the waist. I'd also say that if your not 5ft 8 or above watch the lenghs as the standard length is quite long, way tooo long for me at 5ft 2. I buy the 3 quarter, cropped or short length options & they're fine for me. I did have to send a pair back that I bought in the standard length as they came almost past my feet! Even with the p&p to get a good fitting pair of jeans is more expensive elsewhere in my opinion. I'm so fed up with retailers making all jeans for teeny teenagers! DG jeans are very reasonable for the lovely fit & no muffin splurge. I'm not exactly large but a lot of the high street jeans are so unflattering when they aren't cut on the waist well!

Thanks Nikki that's really helpful. I am a 10 so by the sounds of it an 8 will be perfect. Will have to go for the vertically challenged length.

Thanks Nikki that's really helpful. I am a 10 so by the sounds of it an 8 will be perfect. Will have to go for the vertically challenged length.

You're welcome, jeans are so difficult to find that are flattering & fit well. Yeh, vertically challenged options are the way to go in our case! I think some of her skinny & bootcut jeans come in a length option but many don't. Also, I found that the indigo ones keep their colour quite well after washing but the black does fade to a charcoal grey fairly quickly. Still nice & keep their shape but I'd prefer if they stayed the colour I bought them in. The bold colour non denim ones don't have a lot of stretch according to the reviews so they're probably best avoided.

Latest posts

Back