Shaving

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bea Frugal

Registered Shopper
A question for the guys out there. Do you use shaving cream or electric razors? I'm looking for a mens kit - qvc do some from decleor elemis and liz - but they all feature shaving cream. What do most men use for shaving? My OH uses an electric razor and I don't think I know anyone who doesn't. It's annoying to buy a kit that has a socking great shaving cream that won't get used.

I've got a beard but I do shave under my neck (beards that grow down the neck... Yuk) and I wet shave.

First of all, shaving foams and gels that develop into foam are rubbish. No matter how expensive (and ive tried the elemis one) its just air and bubbles. What's needed is a buffer between blade and skin, in other words a layer of oil or some other emollient.
I used to buy shave oils which are very expensive but recently discovered that you can use E45, or Doublebase gel to shave with and get brilliant results for pennies. You just apply it in a thin layer on a wet face. I'm not suggesting that you buy that for a present but a similar effect can be obtained with LE cleanse and polish which she does in men's packaging. Her shave cream is fine too, but it's really not necessary to buy both.

I'd suggest putting your own kit together from the LE website. The men's shower is lovely, bung in a C&P and a moisturiser and you're done. You'll get a freebie as well.

Last edited:
I've got a beard but I do shave under my neck (beards that grow down the neck... Yuk) and I wet shave.

First of all, shaving foams and gels that develop into foam are rubbish. No matter how expensive (and ive tried the elemis one) its just air and bubbles. What's needed is a buffer between blade and skin, in other words a layer of oil or some other emollient.
I used to buy shave oils which are very expensive but recently discovered that you can use E45, or Doublebase gel to shave with and get brilliant results for pennies. You just apply it in a thin layer on a wet face. I'm not suggesting that you buy that for a present but a similar effect can be obtained with LE cleanse and polish which she does in men's packaging. Her shave cream is fine too, but it's really not necessary to buy both.

I'd suggest putting your own kit together from the LE website. The men's shower is lovely, bung in a C&P and a moisturiser and you're done. You'll get a freebie as well.
Gosh BB YOU COULD BECOME THE NEW RESIDENT BEAUTY EXPERT.(I WISH).
LYNN:clapping:

My OH wet shaves too; he has quite sensitive skin & his fav product is REN's Tamanu High Glide Shaving Oil, though it's stupidly expensive (only need a few drops however!), so I might risk turning him into a cooked lobster by getting a couple of Burlz' suggestions for him to try........! :thinking:

My OH has never used an electric razor. He used to cut himself quite frequently but when Liz Earle brought her shave cream out, I got him some to try. He has NEVER cut himself since (and that will be a few years now), his skin is smooth after shaving and he won't use anything else now. He has to have a spare tube in stock. And that is from a bloke who doesn't think twice about washing his hands in bleach after he's been working......it must be good!

PS He only uses half the amount of cream recommended so a tube lasts months. In the past, when I've been watching a LE hour and they've demonstrated it, he's shouted at the screen they are using far too much!!!!

Nivea ... Astral (they still make that?)
Anyway, any cheap moisturiser rubbed in before a wet shave.

My OH wet shaves. I bought him one of the Elemis mens kits last year (not quite sure why, as I "don't do" expensive skin care) and he raved about the shave gel. Lasted him the best part of 8 months. Has requested it again this Christmas, but only the shave stuff, not interested in the other bits.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I use shaving foam - but just buy something from the dreaded high street (not a 99p value variety, but something around the £3 mark). Have used the Elemis one before - it was nice but didn't really give me any better result, so I couldn't justify the expense of using on a regular basis.

Can't really see the point of buying a kit if a significant part of it isn't going to be used - unless of course it can be given to someone else. BB's suggestion is a good one.

Personally I never bother with men-specific products. Doesn't bother me if it's aimed at the ladies - so long as the packaging isn't too girly or the product highly perfumed - and most of the QVC skincare ranges are completely unisex anyway.

I bet acqueous cream would work equally well even cheaper than e45 as not branded

Wow looks like wet shaving is very popular then. Thanks for all the input. I am eyeing up some kits from the Liz Earle site - there are some great offers which are still good value if one item doesn't get used, esp as there's a free c&p for li'l ol me if I spend £55.

My partner wet shaves with C&P but my son uses an electric razor. He always has designer stubble and he loves the Liz Earle after shave balm. Odd I always think as to my mind he never shaves. He wouldn't use a shaving cream, foam, oil or gel.

BBs idea is a good one. Put together your own tailor made men's kit.

My hubby suffers with sensitive skin - razor rash and occasional ingrowing hairs. He now uses No7 for men facial scrub and shave gel. Great results and a good price too.

Latest posts

Back