Selling like Hot Cakes, what a daft term?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The 'brush' referred someone with a learning difficulty employed to sweep up in a factory, hence the 'daft'. It's horrifically un-PC now!

That's awful. I really liked that expression and use it myself. Guess I won't anymore. Thanks for clearing up the mystery - I've wondered so often what it meant.

Un Pc gets on my wick these phrases and sayings have been in use for donkeys years like Baa Baa black sheep etc. etc. As for the person who said my comment was a bit harsh well I don't care, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!!! And that's probably Un Pc as well.

"Look at the state of you, you look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards!"

I had this said to me on many occasions and say it to my own kids - is it just a Northern saying? Quite funny when you analyse it, why would someone drag you through a hedge backwards anyway?

Another one I remember was Its snowing down south. This was in the days when we wore underskirts and was said if your slip was showing below your skirt hem.

What about "she's all fur coat and dirty knickers"! My nan said that about women who looked like mutton dressed as lamb.
Oooo that one too!

Up where I live it was Fur coat and no knickers lol.And then there was the Kettle calling the Pot black. I think this was in the days of coal fired ranges and all the pans and kettle were burnt black over the fire. And of course out of the frying pan into the fire.

We used to say 'Charlie's dead' when someone's slip was showing. I also remember 'Up Sam's ar** in America' which was very popular as a reply to any where question. Sometimes shortened to Up Sam's. Does anyone else remember that, or was it local? I'm in birmingham

Last edited:
Bettyboo my Nan was in Lancs- I personally think she edited it herself to
"dirty knickers" because she didnt want to say "no knickers". She was a bit of a prude was my nan- a working class prude with no airs and graces though!
"Airs and Graces" lol- there's another one!

When asked what was for tea, my mum used to reply...."stewed bugs and onions"
Another saying...don't spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

"sod that for a game of soldiers"

Where does that come from. No wonder English can be a very hard language to learn.

"Look at the state of you, you look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards!"

I had this said to me on many occasions and say it to my own kids - is it just a Northern saying? Quite funny when you analyse it, why would someone drag you through a hedge backwards anyway?

I use it a lot as well and I'm Scottish.

Heres an idea think of a saying for the Q presenters

Jill franks = Pull the wool over ones eyes
Julia= Pride comes before a huge fall
Charlie= Born with a silver spoon in his mouth
Alison k= Talk the hide legs off a donkey

Heres an idea think of a saying for the Q presenters

Jill franks = Pull the wool over ones eyes
Julia= Pride comes before a huge fall
Charlie= Born with a silver spoon in his mouth
Alison k= Talk the hide legs off a donkey

Lol which one is "All fur coat and no knickers"! (don't answer that ...)

'That's the way the cookie crumbles' and 'vaccinated with a grammar phone needle' are a couple my mum used to say :clapping:

Latest posts

Back