Selling like Hot Cakes, what a daft term?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

During yesterdays Clarks Shoes, hour Debbie Greenwood, told viewers to order there shoes, as they were selling like Hot Cakes, which made me think, You wouldnt normally purchase a Hot Cake, so how does that determine, that something is selling well.

Nearly as daft... as Flying out the window...................:mysmilie_61:

SELL LIKE HOT CAKES - "Hot cakes cooked in bear grease or pork lard were popular from earliest times in American. First made of cornmeal, the griddle cakes or pancakes were of course best when served piping hot and were often sold at church benefits, fairs, and other functions. So popular were they that by the beginning of the 19th century 'to sell like hot cakes' was a familiar expression for anything that sold very quickly effortlessly, and in quantity." From "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

From the dictionary of meanings

During yesterdays Clarks Shoes, hour Debbie Greenwood, told viewers to order there shoes, as they were selling like Hot Cakes, which made me think, You wouldnt normally purchase a Hot Cake, so how does that determine, that something is selling well.
This is a very common term meaning something is selling very well and if you live in England I'm surprised you are not familiar with it. I hope these quirky terms and phrases stay in regular use as they are part of our every day language.

This is a very common term meaning something is selling very well and if you live in England I'm surprised you are not familiar with it. I hope these quirky terms and phrases stay in regular use as they are part of our every day language.
I took the original post to mean that when you think about the phrase it's not immediately obvious why it would mean selling quickly, but didn't take it to mean that the poster wasn't familiar with the phrase. I agree that unusual phrases and words enhance our language and long may they continue to do so.

No i had honestly not heard of the saying, i live in bristol, so i am from this country, but i hardly get out, cause of delicate skin, so hense why ive probably not heard it
Ok sorry you don't get out much so perhaps some of the forumites can enlighten you with some of their favourite sayings.
eg. Taking coals to Newcastle,
Selling snow to Eskimos
As useful as a chocolate Teapot
As rare as rocking horse poo.
etc, etc, etc,.....

I like old phrases and sayings.
such as "much of a muchness" and "can't do right for doing wrong"

Jumping about like a scalded cock !!:mysmilie_845:

Seen more fat on a cold chip

Gets where castor oil cant

Strike while the iron is hot, Flogging a dead horse. Look after the pennies and the pounds will count themselves.

And a popular saying with men is Size doesnt matter :wink:

Last edited:
Many a mickle makes a muckle........whatever that means.

In this phrase, a mickle is a small amount of something (the Scots usage is intended in this proverb) and a muckle is a large amount, so the saying means that you can accumulate a great deal by many small savings. Its like the other saying Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves'

Last edited:
A family favourite (Yorkshire & Lancashire): "so skinny she couldn't stop a pig in a ginnel!"

..mind you they were never referring to me with this saying :doh:

Jude xx

my former manager used to get annoyed at being interrupted and called out of his office, and at least once a day he'd say "I've been up and down more often than a bride's nightie" , or "in and out like a fiddler's elbow".

When the young staff giggled when he talked about girlfriends, he would say "there might be snow on my roof, but there's still a fire roaring in my grate". (He had white hair).

My mum used to say daft as a brush. Can't imagine what the origins of that might be

The 'brush' referred someone with a learning difficulty employed to sweep up in a factory, hence the 'daft'. It's horrifically un-PC now!

Latest posts

Back