SBC facial exfoliating gel

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

T

Tyson

Guest Shopper
Hi,

Has anyone tried the SBC facial exfoliating gel?

If so are the grains gentle? I have sensitive skin that goes red if I rub anything into it.

Thanks in advance,
Tyson

Hi,

If so are the grains gentle? I have sensitive skin that goes red if I rub anything into it.

Thanks in advance,
Tyson

I ended up using this for hands, elbows & feet Tyson...found it too abrasive for my face as I have sensitive skin.

I ended up using this for hands, elbows & feet Tyson...found it too abrasive for my face as I have sensitive skin.

Hi BusyMum, thank you for letting me know. I think I'll pass on this then. I'm off to look for something else. Have you found an exfoliator that's good for sensitive skin? I'm contemplating to use a face cloth when I cleanse as anything too harsh effects my skin.

Hi Tyson,
I like the Elemis papaya enzyme peel. It has been formulated for sensitive skin and has fruit extracts in. You just leave it on to do its work and then rinse off. There are no grainy bits to rub in or irritate your skin. I think it works very well and doesn't upset my skin,

Hi BusyMum, thank you for letting me know. I think I'll pass on this then. I'm off to look for something else. Have you found an exfoliator that's good for sensitive skin? I'm contemplating to use a face cloth when I cleanse as anything too harsh effects my skin.

At the moment I'm using a little Body Shop facial buffer/exfoliator in the mornings as I like a proper soap & water wash, evenings when I cleanse etc I use either a face flannel or muslin cloth to remove cleanser...yes with sensitive skin it's a bit of a pain trying to find things that suit isn't it..!

Hi Tyson,
I like the Elemis papaya enzyme peel. It has been formulated for sensitive skin and has fruit extracts in. You just leave it on to do its work and then rinse off. There are no grainy bits to rub in or irritate your skin. I think it works very well and doesn't upset my skin,

Thank you for your recommendation, I will keep it in mind. Its a little more than I would normally spend.

At the moment I'm using a little Body Shop facial buffer/exfoliator in the mornings as I like a proper soap & water wash, evenings when I cleanse etc I use either a face flannel or muslin cloth to remove cleanser...yes with sensitive skin it's a bit of a pain trying to find things that suit isn't it..!

It is a pain finding things to work, I have spent an arm and a leg to find things. I have also been looking at home made solutions for exfoliation.

simple :) simple exfoliator, cheap as chips and very good, quite gentle and no smell. I use this:

http://www.simple.co.uk/products/Clear+Skin+Oil+Balancing+Facial+Scrub-75ml-211.aspx

I really like it and didn't expect it to be any good having been convinced I need to spend a gazillion pounds on skincare and whilst I do like to treat myself (not NV Perricone treat lol!) this is as good if not better than anything I've found I have horrendously reactive skin, papya enzyme peel is a no no for me but this is fine, its not too scrubby. If you can't do scrubby at all then maybe one of those microfibre cloths might be good for you, you can just use with water too.

Last edited:
The gentlest exfoliator I have ever used is the Liz Earle one. It was way too gentle for me though, I'm a Philosophy Microdelivery wash fan. The Liz Earle just felt like a thick cream with a few tiny lumps in!! May be ok for you though :wink:

I have the same problem Tyson. Anything abrasive really irritates my sensitive skin. The Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliating wash is, as it says, very gentle, but to be honest I didn't find it effective. The best method of exfoliating I have found is, believe it or not, Tesco Value microfibre cloths.n I don't think they were intended for this purpose but they are brilliant. I just use them in the shower and they get into every nook and cranny, remove dead skin cells very gently and have never caused any irritation. I use my normal sensitive skin wash and then remove it with the microfibre cloths until all traces of cleanser are removed. They cost £1.50 for three and last forever. When they start to get a bit "grey" (as all things white inevitably do), they make great dusters and polish granite work surfaces a treat.

Hope this helps.

I have the same problem Tyson. Anything abrasive really irritates my sensitive skin. The Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliating wash is, as it says, very gentle, but to be honest I didn't find it effective. The best method of exfoliating I have found is, believe it or not, Tesco Value microfibre cloths.n I don't think they were intended for this purpose but they are brilliant. I just use them in the shower and they get into every nook and cranny, remove dead skin cells very gently and have never caused any irritation. I use my normal sensitive skin wash and then remove it with the microfibre cloths until all traces of cleanser are removed. They cost £1.50 for three and last forever. When they start to get a bit "grey" (as all things white inevitably do), they make great dusters and polish granite work surfaces a treat.

Hope this helps.

It does help. I was contemplating using a flannel or face cloth, spending £30 on an exfoliator. I am trying to simplify my routine and also reduce the amount I spend on products so these would do that.

Last edited:
simple :) simple exfoliator, cheap as chips and very good, quite gentle and no smell. I use this:

http://www.simple.co.uk/products/Clear+Skin+Oil+Balancing+Facial+Scrub-75ml-211.aspx

I really like it and didn't expect it to be any good having been convinced I need to spend a gazillion pounds on skincare and whilst I do like to treat myself (not NV Perricone treat lol!) this is as good if not better than anything I've found I have horrendously reactive skin, papya enzyme peel is a no no for me but this is fine, its not too scrubby. If you can't do scrubby at all then maybe one of those microfibre cloths might be good for you, you can just use with water too.

Quoting myself here from last night "If you can't do scrubby at all then maybe one of those microfibre cloths might be good for you, you can just use with water too."

I was going to suggest the Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliator, that's the lightest one I've ever tried. It didn't work for me either, but then I'm a bit exfoliation-happy - before I discovered Phytopeel I used to use Clinique 7 Day Scrub which as anyone who has used it will tell you is downright scratchy (apols to those of an exfoliation-nervous disposition :giggle:) Decleor do a peel-off mask, here's a link: http://www.feelunique.com/p/Decleor_Radiance_Revealing_Peel_Off_Mask_50ml (feelunique are pretty competitive on pricing but this may not be the cheapest retailer, just the first I found when Googling :nod:) My good friend who has chronic eczema ditched all cleansing/exfoliating products a few years ago and has just used microfibre cloths and water since and says that's the worked the best for her.

HTH :up:

Hi Tyson I've also got sensitive skin. I like the Gentle Rose Exfoliator from Elemis and the LE gentle face exfoliator.
My skin has been playing up over the past few months and these have been gentle enough not to cause a reaction.

Quoting myself here from last night "If you can't do scrubby at all then maybe one of those microfibre cloths might be good for you, you can just use with water too."

Hi Lady Tia,

I like scrubs, but unfortunately my skin doesn't, it goes quite red mainly on my cheeks and it takes ages for the redness to calm down. Any breakouts I have tend to get more angry looking after I've exfoliated. One exfoliator I won't go anywhere near again will be Modern Friction from Origins, now that burned.

I will see how I get on with the cloths, I could try the simple exfoliator just on my nose to help clear the blackheads, as I may need to use a scrub here as I don't know if the cloths would help with them.

I have seen an improvement in my skin from using Dove cream bar with the Propolis gel, its getting there, if only I had found this product years ago as I have spent a small fortune on skin care products. I have spent a lot this month too, but the only thing that's helping is Dove and the Propolis gel.

Hi Tyson I've also got sensitive skin. I like the Gentle Rose Exfoliator from Elemis and the LE gentle face exfoliator.
My skin has been playing up over the past few months and these have been gentle enough not to cause a reaction.

I'll keep these in mind.

I was going to suggest the Elemis Gentle Rose Exfoliator, that's the lightest one I've ever tried. It didn't work for me either, but then I'm a bit exfoliation-happy - before I discovered Phytopeel I used to use Clinique 7 Day Scrub which as anyone who has used it will tell you is downright scratchy (apols to those of an exfoliation-nervous disposition :giggle:) Decleor do a peel-off mask, here's a link: http://www.feelunique.com/p/Decleor_Radiance_Revealing_Peel_Off_Mask_50ml (feelunique are pretty competitive on pricing but this may not be the cheapest retailer, just the first I found when Googling :nod:) My good friend who has chronic eczema ditched all cleansing/exfoliating products a few years ago and has just used microfibre cloths and water since and says that's the worked the best for her.

HTH :up:

I'll keep these in mind also, I have written down all the recommendations and if the cloths don't do the job on those stubborn areas I will use an exfoliator on those areas only. I am taking eveything on board, I really like this site as you get unbiased advice.:bow:

micro fibre cloths

I purchased the microfibre cloths today and have just used them, I can't believe how effective they are at removing make-up. I used them with my Dove soap and it was a pleasure seeing all the make-up on the cloth. I never thought about using micofibre cloths to cleanse my skin but they seem to work and are extremely gentle. My skin does feel cleaner using the cloth alongside the cream bar. Highly recommend and thank you for the recommendation Mam :up: and also ArtDeco.:up:

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Tyson

The oldies can be the best:

Oatmeal face pack.

Now another tip, I believe involves oatmeal, is that right? Yes with oatmeal, but again, they don’t look very glamorous when you put them on but the results are great. You just mix equal parts of oatmeal with honey and yogurt and put it on your face again. This is kind of an exfoliant too because it has the oatmeal in it. Leave it for about ten minutes and remove it with a cotton ball and a bit of warm water, splash it off. It really wakes up tired skin; this is one I’d use about once a week really.

Nip out and get yourself some porridge Tyson.

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Tyson

It has a lovelly smell to it, I have used it on my face and could feel the grains, but didnt have any problems although I have normal/combination skin,. I have used it on my elbows but it didnt soften the skin.

Hi Lady Tia,

I like scrubs, but unfortunately my skin doesn't, it goes quite red mainly on my cheeks and it takes ages for the redness to calm down. Any breakouts I have tend to get more angry looking after I've exfoliated. One exfoliator I won't go anywhere near again will be Modern Friction from Origins, now that burned.

I will see how I get on with the cloths, I could try the simple exfoliator just on my nose to help clear the blackheads, as I may need to use a scrub here as I don't know if the cloths would help with them.

I have seen an improvement in my skin from using Dove cream bar with the Propolis gel, its getting there, if only I had found this product years ago as I have spent a small fortune on skin care products. I have spent a lot this month too, but the only thing that's helping is Dove and the Propolis gel.

Ooo just read your post about the microfibre cloths, brilliant, I'm so pleased you like them. Sounds like they'll do the trick.

Hi Tyson
Well the dove bar and propolis gel sound like a great combination for you. I remember you saying you are in your early 20s and when I had acne around that age I must admit despite what I use now, I would never have put anything scrubby near my face then.

I had acne from my early 20s having previously had no skin issues, a massive steroid injection for an allergic reaction caused it me thinks. I have terrible skin issues to this day.

Anyhoo, I digress, in my 20s I have acne on my face, neck, chest back and tops of the arms, I doused myself in retin a gel from the consultant along with long term anti-biotics (I turned down the offer of roaccutane, far too scary for me). I was so self conscious I had to hold back on the gel as I'd used so much I had opened burn wounds on the tops of my arms that have caused some scarring.

I went to decleor and was advised as my skin had taken on an almost purpley tinge it was so stressed and parched from the retin a to treat the sensitivity and I used their range for sensitive skin which strangely does nothing for me now. It sorted my skin out fabulously. I'm not recommending this as the formulations have changed anyway now but perhaps not exfoliating at all if your skin is very easily over stimulated is the way to go esp as what you are currently using seems to help.
:)

Latest posts

Back