Richard Jacksons Garden TSV 01/01/22

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

For all the dog lovers did you see the canine naivety play? Sorry can do links.
Not sure if this photo is from what you’re referring to, but a friend sent me this and it is a dog nativity!

E1EAF8F8-CF82-441C-BDCF-E4B63EDC9E9D.jpeg

Wouldn’t buy anything from Richard Jackson - even worse when combined with Miceal presenting!

But seriously! It’s £34 inc post for 14kg?!

That’s insane!

Plus he doesn’t include the proportions of the ingredients, and including suet pellets is a rip off!

Good that it doesn’t contain fillers like wheat, but neither do any of the ones I buy and they’re nowhere near £2.40 a kilo!

In fact the past couple of years, I generally buy pure sunflower seed hearts which is great and nutritious for all the birds with no waste... and half that price in bulk!

(Sometimes top up with peanuts and mealworms and maybe suet cakes in winter).

I feed the birds, hedgehogs and squirrels. Hedgies are asleep at the mo, well supposed to be, saw 2 the other night, good job I still put food out for them. They have a habit of waking up, so the food is not far from their houses and they don't have to go far.

Frogs are all hibernating, squirrels are scoffing loads and hiding the 🐒 nuts in next doors garden for some reason.

Have never bought Richard's food, too dear for me. I buy peanut butter for the birds in bulk, pop it in a flutter butter jar and the birds go crackers for it. Much cheaper to buy it in bulk, (arrives in a huge plastic bag in a box) buying the jars are too expensive.

I do expect Richard's food is very good, but way out of my price range.
What do you feed the Hedgies?

I give “mine” dry cat food and water.

Used to give them wet cat food but then my cat - and half the village - cats used to eat it too and my cat was on a special diet!

In the past when I didn’t know better, I fed the HH’s mealworms but I weakens their bones :(

Anyway for my birthday mum bought me a “Hogilo” (fancy HH house!)

Have always wanted a house for them but need to investigate where to place it and whether I can feed them inside etc and when to put it out etc!

(They always used to live in our hedge but since my new neighbours moved in, no sign of them) :(

Wouldn’t buy anything from Richard Jackson - even worse when combined with Miceal presenting!

But seriously! It’s £34 inc post for 14kg?!

That’s insane!

Plus he doesn’t include the proportions of the ingredients, and including suet pellets is a rip off!

Good that it doesn’t contain fillers like wheat, but neither do any of the ones I buy and they’re nowhere near £2.40 a kilo!

In fact the past couple of years, I generally buy pure sunflower seed hearts which is great and nutritious for all the birds with no waste... and half that price in bulk!

(Sometimes top up with peanuts and mealworms and maybe suet cakes in winter).
I love WILKO bird food and feeders. Superb quality and cheap as chips for what your getting. TLL I use sunflower hearts as the main food as there is no waste and mealworms the Robins love them. I can buy a years supply of goodies for my birds for far less than the price of this bird food.

I know that I am a cynical old bugger (which I regard as healthy) but I find it so annoying that presenters are allowed to make statements that have no further explanation and that we are supposed to believe as truth.
Todays example is for the above bird food - which is extraordinarily expensive IMHO plus the shipping and handling is the biggest part of £6, though I recognise that shipping 14kilo is going to be expensive on any carrier.
So to my annoyance - in the presentation we are told that the wide range of of seeds and constituents in the food will attract more species of birds to the bird table/feeders. But how? Seems to me that in most locations the range of bird species is fixed and that the varieties of birds visiting any garden is based on that and a large degree of randomness. Unless birds have developed an incredible sense of smell or advanced communication systems whereby they can contact each other about where supplies of RJs feed can be located. Seems like marketing fantasy to me to say that this product can 'attract'.

Feeling a bit sad for the birds when it was cold a few weeks ago, I put out bird food which attracted a lot of small birds, as Richard Jackson says - robins and sparrows. It was lovely to watch them, but the bird lime these little creatures left was staggering. A horrible, ugly mess. The last straw was when they did it over the washing I had left out on the clothesline to get a bit of sunshine. So, no more bird food. Very sorry, feathered friends.

My heart sank when I saw those 2 words - Richard and Jackson. By all that's holy pleased don't say he's being wheeled out again on a regular basis, with his antique blown up photos of flowers, his checked shirts and Dad jeans, not forgetting his overblown self importance.

Latest posts

Back