RCM One Step Gel system

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nail shields have lasted precisely a week. I'm getting some lift around the edges today, so will have to re-do. They are much kinder to the nails than the gel products alone, although I think you need to really concentrate when applying them. After this initial experience, I think I will continue to use them.

The acid test I guess will be removal, do let up know how it goes. I hate soaking and it takes me all day to re-do RC manicure.

Nail shields have lasted precisely a week. I'm getting some lift around the edges today, so will have to re-do. They are much kinder to the nails than the gel products alone, although I think you need to really concentrate when applying them. After this initial experience, I think I will continue to use them.
I've stuck them down with a little of the top coat and over the end and 40 seconds under the lamp

Marina, they came off as easy as peeling off gloves. I'm delighted! I soaked for 5 minutes in warm water with a tiny drop of fairy liquid, and each came off in one piece, easy as pie.
I think I could have stuck them back down for a day or two as iloveshopping suggests, but I'm ready for a change of colour now anyway. This week I'm trying 'Sapphire', a lovely deep blue with a purply shimmer.

@flyingpigs. How did you get on with the one gel system? How long did it stay on. How easy is it to get off? Pls pm with your results as I'm off on holiday for 7 days.

I have the RCM which I use for my toes - I used to do my fingers but find it hard to do my own. I find wrapping the nails up with the acetone and cotton wool etc then putting a warm wheat bag on top makes removal much easier -or you can buy proper bowls off eBay (not expensive) where you put the acetone in the top and hot water in the base - thereby warming the acetone up. This is what the professionals use.

The lady who does my fingers now (shellac) does not remove the colour each time. If you start with a pale colour then just buff most of it off, just start over next time with base then a darker colour. You can build up week by week until you have dark on and want to go back to a pale colour or your nails get so thick you have to remove it. I sometimes go 6-8 times before total removing which means my nails are so thick you cannot break them and this also means hardly ever having to use the dreaded acetone on them. It is also cheaper as I only pay for removal a couple of times a year.

Not sure I like the sound of that rosey, but if it works for you, fair enough.
I'm liking these nail shields a lot. Although I wasn't as careful applying this second set, and I've got a couple of chips already (day 5). I will probably remove and replace tomorrow. Absolutely love this Sapphire shade I'm wearing though, I think it could well be my favourite!

i am back to sensationail system with no peel offs. one thing i am doing different is not showerins straightaway after applying. this means applying after shower or late at night already noticed a difference in wear time.

I have the RCM which I use for my toes - I used to do my fingers but find it hard to do my own. I find wrapping the nails up with the acetone and cotton wool etc then putting a warm wheat bag on top makes removal much easier -or you can buy proper bowls off eBay (not expensive) where you put the acetone in the top and hot water in the base - thereby warming the acetone up. This is what the professionals use.

The lady who does my fingers now (shellac) does not remove the colour each time. If you start with a pale colour then just buff most of it off, just start over next time with base then a darker colour. You can build up week by week until you have dark on and want to go back to a pale colour or your nails get so thick you have to remove it. I sometimes go 6-8 times before total removing which means my nails are so thick you cannot break them and this also means hardly ever having to use the dreaded acetone on them. It is also cheaper as I only pay for removal a couple of times a year.
Thanks Rosey. I'm going to try this as I am on holiday and applied a base coat, 2 light coats and a top coat as I did not want to risk the nails peeling after 5 days. So when I get back rather than have the fath of taking it all off, I'll do as your technician did

In the end, I didn't have time to do a full manicure, so just removed the three chipped ones and re-did those - so easy when using the nail shields, I love them. They, and the other 7 nails, are still going strong! (day 10 for the original nails). The re-growth is starting to look unsightly now though, so it will be a full removal and re-do today or tomorrow.

What are nail shields and where do you get them .how do they look ? Any pic .........sorry newbie at growing nails ,have been biting them all my life ,totally ignorant but learning slowly .

http://www.sensationail.co.uk/salon/how-to-use-peel-off-nail-shields/
They are to make gel nail applications easy to remove - no soaking in acetone necessary! They are invisible once you have got your gel application on top.
I got some from Boots online, and personally, I have had great success with them, but if you read further up this thread, some people have not found them so helpful.

@flyingpigs. How did you get on with the one gel system? How long did it stay on. How easy is it to get off?

I'm reporting back on my first try with RCM Ready.
Pros
Easy and quick to apply.
Smooth and shiny.
Set well and felt it was giving my feeble nails the level of protection you get from gel.
Easy to remove, about five minutes soaking in acetone to remove polish from 8 nails. A bit more soaking for the remaining two that were more stubborn. By the time I came to remove, there were several coats on each nail, see "cons" below.
Cons
Really prone to chipping. By day two I was making running repairs. Over the 6 days I managed to keep the mani going I tried refreshing with an extra coat or two and eventually resorted to painting a special effect topcoat of normal polish. The longevity was worse than carefully applied regular polish. Disappointing.
I chose a very nude shade so the damage wasn't too noticeable unless close up but the uneven tips as they started to peel and chip and catch was horrid. I'll have another go and maybe experiment with a base coat but not very impressed so far. The only advantage I can see is if you just want a temporary colour to set quickly and are not too fussed about getting long wear, this could work for you.

Last edited:
What is the easy off nail gel base coat ?
It is a Sensationail basecoat that is meant to be easier to remove. I haven't tried it but you can get from Boots or the SN website. They do three or four different basecoats for various nail concerns.

As I went on holiday for a week, I applied a pale pink colour of RCM which lasted well and as I was busy after my holidays I left it on for another week as it did not show too many chips. Filed off the tops coats yesterday evening, put on a base coat over the remainder of the original gel. The base coat has more or less hidden the couple of chips on thumb and one finger. Applied 2 coats of RCM colour and a top coat.
It looks as good a job as any I have done. Now to see how long it will last.
I am getting some unpleasant burning sensations when I apply the gel. I hope my nails are not getting too sensitive. The sensitivity is still there today. Hope I will be able to continue with the gel as my nails are so weak without it

As I went on holiday for a week, I applied a pale pink colour of RCM which lasted well and as I was busy after my holidays I left it on for another week as it did not show too many chips. Filed off the tops coats yesterday evening, put on a base coat over the remainder of the original gel. The base coat has more or less hidden the couple of chips on thumb and one finger. Applied 2 coats of RCM colour and a top coat.
It looks as good a job as any I have done. Now to see how long it will last.
I am getting some unpleasant burning sensations when I apply the gel. I hope my nails are not getting too sensitive. The sensitivity is still there today. Hope I will be able to continue with the gel as my nails are so weak without it

I've actually developed an allergic reaction to gel polish and have had to stop using it and applying it on my friends The skin behind my thumb nails is all cracked, fissured and bleeding. The skin on some fingers, around the cuticle area, is inflamed and sore to the touch.

I knew the risks involved but was at my wits end with peeling and chipping nails that I persevered with gel polish. I read a very interesting article where a Dermatologist was commenting on the whole system. He recommended that you soaked off the polish in acetone until you could gently push it off, rather than scrape it off. Every time you scrape you remove a layer of natural nail. thus exposing it to potential infections etc. He also recommended that you leave it an hour after soaking before reapplying the polish.

As much as I love having perfectly, painted nails, my health is more important so I am having a break from all things nails! Without wishing to sound melodramatic, my thumbs are in agony! You'd be surprised at how much you use them.

Minty Kitten. Hope the inflammation stops soon. Thanks for your post. I think I may have to take a long break if this new method of not taking off all the gel does not work. A couple of my nails still have a burning sensation today.

because of being a bit lazy i removed my gel and i am now just oiling my natural nails with opi avoplex. been doing that all week. i find i get sore nails if the basecoat touches the cuticle or surrounding skin. this will burn like hell when you go under the led lamp.

anather tip i prefer to put the acetone remover in a small bow with a larger bowl underneath with very hot water. removed the gel in well under 10 minutes and it came off with very little effort

Latest posts

Back