Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’ve got a Ninja double air fryer. I cook chips, bacon, sausage, chips, bacon, sausage, chips… I’m sure I’m not alone in using an air fryer for this limited purpose. Anything more elaborate I want to cook in a conventional oven or a casserole dish - that kind of thing. Yes, I’m sure you can cook all sorts of exotic things in air fryers, but for the life of me, I can’t work out what. They are essentially showing what most of us use them for - chips, fry-ups, burgers, tiny chickens…
If anyone's interested: have an airfry oven, with shelf trays and a drawer one.
They do well with anything breaded, battered or coated or oiled and frozen types. Basically, anything non-wet (could try an egg) that you'd put in a frying pan or top shelf of an oven.

Have done fried fish, scampi, fish fingers, roast potatoes, burgers, roast chicken whole (medium), chicken quarters/thighs/pieces, spicy potato wedges, onion rings, sausages, fish cakes, roasted carrots, roast onions, mushrooms, frozen pizzas and jusrol pizza base, potato waffles, croquettes, roast meats beef/lamb, chicken kievs, pies, pasties, sausage rolls, meatballs, yorkshire puddings from frozen, frozen garlic breads, cheese on toast.
On a tray I did frozen peas.

Oh yes, and chips. 😜

Last edited:
"By the time he returned home he knew his future lay in eating* catering."
*insert edited by me.

They do say never trust a thin chef.
I can say that...🦣👨‍🍳

Interestingly, was watching a Countryfile One show or food prog or something where they were showing industrial airfryers for chip shops. They were cylindrical rotating tube drawer inserts, a bit like a washing machine, like my airfryer rotisserie basket, but industrialised and scaled up.

Removing the need for expensive frying oils and energy reduction they did a blind taste test and people liked the chips taste more than the regular in some instances. A chip shop owner had bought two and they pour the chips into the cylinder and close it, a bit like inserting nuclear fuel rods!

Think the main limitation was the £k's price of them to buy, install and maintain, but the owner reckoned more chippies would adopt airfryers with inflation and Ukraine war causing cooking oil price rises.

Well i suppose he's not actually starting a new channel per se, just renaming and extending the products on his existing channels, so might not be as big a risk as starting a whole new business. If done right he's more chance of success than Hamish M. Although personally for me, his choice of ex IW presenters/staff and products etc is casting huge doubt on the success of the channel.

The whole set up is on a much smaller scale and probably run differently as a business, where as Hamish M took over an big existing failing business with the hope of changing it's fortunes.
Yes, think the appropriate word is synergy... using existing C&C infrastructure and resources, no need to run separate HR, admin, finance, logistics functions. Just add stock, few extra front/rear staff to payroll and repurpose CE channel/internet.

They could do with adding CE/SE to the apps. And the website is hard to navigate to SE pages/items, when they read the item number it isn't immediately obvious from C&C/SE pages where it is, just generic catalogue sections, until you go to the live TV area and items listed for that hour. All a bit schizophrenic.

If anyone's interested: have an airfry oven, with shelf trays and a drawer one.
They do well with anything breaded, battered or coated or oiled and frozen types. Basically, anything non-wet (could try an egg) that you'd put in a frying pan or top shelf of an oven.

Have done fried fish, scampi, fish fingers, roast potatoes, burgers, roast chicken whole (medium), chicken quarters/thighs/pieces, spicy potato wedges, onion rings, sausages, fish cakes, roasted carrots, roast onions, mushrooms, frozen pizzas and jusrol pizza base, potato waffles, croquettes, roast meats beef/lamb, chicken kievs, pies, pasties, sausage rolls, meatballs, yorkshire puddings from frozen, frozen garlic breads, cheese on toast.
On a tray I did frozen peas.

Oh yes, and chips. 😜
I forgot chicken nuggets and breaded chicken burgers. 😀

Tbh, I don't think they are a great cost-saving compared to my gas oven as gas is cheaper at about a third of electricity, I think. So roughly the same as maybe takes a third or half of the time compared to conventional oven.
If you only use electric ovens then airfryers should save as smaller, more efficient than heating a large oven.

A lot of things can be done on a cheaper grill too, if you turn things over halfway!

Most things take 10-20mins at average 1.7kW+ in airfryer, so it is more about convenience, speed, insert and forget with auto-timer, so can't overcook as much, don't have to monitor and can leave until it beeps.

In the winter the gas oven can be useful as it heats kitchen more than a small airfryer whilst cooking stews and casseroles, etc.

Remember they ain't got a garden for a Spit roaster that big. ;):ROFLMAO:
Actually you're misinformed on that Hammy.

I wasn't going to mention it but I've offered Shop Extra the use of my back garden and they've accepted.

It's a fair distance from where they're based so I've offered to put some of them up in my garage, which they've also accepted.

Tim's cycling around my lawn right now trying the space out for size.

In return I get up to the value of £10 per month (including any p&p) on any Shop Extra products :)

Just turned over and it’s the Cheap and Crappy Collectables, but I wasn’t expecting Gen to be presenting, I thought she was TJC Bound
Without a word of a lie I just hopped on to their YT feed.

Flogging a silver plated ticket collectible thingy ... limited to 5000 worldwide ... for £17.99 plus p&p

First search result on Google was someone flogging exactly the same thing on Amazon for £9.99 plus p&p

Shop (PAY) Extra right enough ;)

Without a word of a lie I just hopped on to their YT feed.

Flogging a silver plated ticket collectible thingy ... limited to 5000 worldwide ... for £17.99 plus p&p

First search result on Google was someone flogging exactly the same thing on Amazon for £9.99 plus p&p

Shop (PAY) Extra right enough ;)
It also all looks cheap and naff, Gen just called it all stunning

Yes, think the appropriate word is synergy... using existing C&C infrastructure and resources, no need to run separate HR, admin, finance, logistics functions. Just add stock, few extra front/rear staff to payroll and repurpose CE channel/internet.

They could do with adding CE/SE to the apps. And the website is hard to navigate to SE pages/items, when they read the item number it isn't immediately obvious from C&C/SE pages where it is, just generic catalogue sections, until you go to the live TV area and items listed for that hour. All a bit schizophrenic.

Looks like everything is on a low budget at the moment with only minor additions to the web site as they go along. Can't see them doing a major overhaul of the web site, which they will need if this channel is going to be permanent and a serious selly telly player, until they see how things play out in the run up to xmas. Think someone posted that at the moment it's a like a trial period till xmas.

How do they get the say so, from the film companies. To make so much cheap crap

The companies won't worry to much, it matters not if it's cheap crap, as long as there are no safety issues and are raking in the money from licencing the different franchise names, they'll be more than happy.

Latest posts

Back