Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was being facetious.

Yeah I gathered that :), but despite that I do think that you're not that far from the truth. The way IW presenters behave and the glimpses of the behind the camera folk from time to time, I can imagine when they were brainstorming ideas for the new times, your points were probably to the fore. I honestly think that's the mentality of IW staff and how easy it is for them to manipulate and con viewers. With all the tactics they use, one can only assume, they believe all their customers are mindless idiots, who will believe anything said to them on screen.

There was a mistake on the watch show last night and much was made of it.

Instead of 3 flexi pays, the mistake was..... that they'd put 4!!! and they had to honour it.

Nodding dog's 'all four corners' head nearly fell off!

Shaun just said, with a straight face, about the Reign watches, great prices compared to web sites, and the "quality of the movements are second to none". :ROFLMAO: They have a mix of Chinese and Japanese movements, with ratings of -20 ~ +40s a day, sorry but that's not second to none.

And they're using Macy's to try and reinforce how good this brand is by saying "Macy's will only stock the best brands", sorry but Macy's stock MVMT (that alone questions their claim of only stocking the best) and other cheap fashion brands, so Macy's stocking Reign is in no way an endorsement for the Reign brand.

Shaun just said, with a straight face, about the Reign watches, great prices compared to web sites, and the "quality of the movements are second to none". :ROFLMAO: They have a mix of Chinese and Japanese movements, with ratings of -20 ~ +40s a day, sorry but that's not second to none.

And they're using Macy's to try and reinforce how good this brand is by saying "Macy's will only stock the best brands", sorry but Macy's stock MVMT (that alone questions their claim of only stocking the best) and other cheap fashion brands, so Macy's stocking Reign is in no way an endorsement for the Reign brand.

Sounds like another old Bid TV trick Hammy.

Once upon a time Bid TV (who don’t forget were once owned by Aurelius, who also currently own Ideal World) sold a no name perfume called Jean Paul DuPont.

The Bid TV Goons (including Sally Jacks, Dirty Peter, GOLLUM and SHREQUE) were forever saying that it used to be sold in Macy’s but it turned out it was currently on sale in TJ Hughes!

Once a Goon, always a Goon:)

Last edited:
I was just wondering if all the 'watch collectors' who buy these 'heritage & luxury' brands have yet to realise that, if they were to combine the amounts spent then they could have bought themselves a watch which onlookers can instantly realise to be 'luxurious and with heritage'?

I was just wondering if all the 'watch collectors' who buy these 'heritage & luxury' brands have yet to realise that, if they were to combine the amounts spent then they could have bought themselves a watch which onlookers can instantly realise to be 'luxurious and with heritage'?

Things is they don’t even have to combine their money that much, even for the price of one watch on IW there are a whole host of Orient, Seiko or Citizen watches all decent affordable watches. Three or four watches and you start to get into Certina, Mido, Tissot etc, I just can’t fathom it out, you can build a decent collection (from actual watchmaking brands with history/heritage) with affordable watches.

I can understand certain brands on IW interesting watch folk, like Sturmanskie, Swiss military, Mathey Tissot, Vostok Europe, all are legitimate watchmakers brands, not everybody’s taste but as I say actual watch making brands, but the rest are nothing but folks sitting in an office in one country, inventing a brand name with some phoney made up story of what the inspiration behind the brand is, and then off to China to get one of the multitude of Chinese watch factories to produce watches for them at low costs and sell them over here at inflated prices, better of going direct to China and getting the watches at their true value.

Now if someone is just after and affordable watch, just to wear, then hey if they like the design then ok, but personally don’t understand collectors buying up these watches ( they obviously know very little about watches and have bought into the bullshit spouted by the IW presenters), some are building up a collection of Heritor, Reign, Constantin Weisz, CCCP, Swan & Edgar, Cerruti, etc etc, all of which are worthless in resale value, have no history / heritage and will end up being throw away watches rather than watches to pass down.

No wonder they don't give any hint as to the appx price of the home lift installations. It seems ball park figures are around £23,000 to £28,000 !!! He was saying moving home was stressful. I'd imagine parting with nearly £30,000 is pretty stressful as well.

No wonder they don't give any hint as to the appx price of the home lift installations. It seems ball park figures are around £23,000 to £28,000 !!! He was saying moving home was stressful. I'd imagine parting with nearly £30,000 is pretty stressful as well.

And you would have yearly servicing costs / repair cover to consider.

Bought a Stair lift for my mum when I was looking after her and Cost £4500, with £440 for extended two year warranty. After that they charged £100 to £500 a year depending which level of cover you wanted, lowest price just covered a service and any call outs were £110 +parts, for £500 you got service and free call outs and parts. I would imagine that lift's cover/ service & repair costs would cost a good bit.

Macy's New York is a down market store - I have been there.
Shaun would like the viewers to infer that it's a U.S Harrods , but it's at the absolute opposite end of the scale.
I didn't see the show , but I suppose it's the usual guff about how Maria the head watch buyer has been trying to get these in for eighteen months but so few are manufactured that it's almost impossible.
I'm impressed by the way the presenters maintain their fervour year after year. It's a mind bogglingly repetitive job that they do ( stunning … I'm loving it … bought it for my mum) and the main presenters have been there forever.

I can't help but wonder if the presenters have sales targets, targets which translate into bonuses?

If they are simply on a fixed salary, then they are all better actors than we give them credit for.

Macy's New York is a down market store - I have been there.
Shaun would like the viewers to infer that it's a U.S Harrods , but it's at the absolute opposite end of the scale.
I didn't see the show , but I suppose it's the usual guff about how Maria the head watch buyer has been trying to get these in for eighteen months but so few are manufactured that it's almost impossible.
I'm impressed by the way the presenters maintain their fervour year after year. It's a mind bogglingly repetitive job that they do ( stunning … I'm loving it … bought it for my mum) and the main presenters have been there forever.

I've heard of Macy's, but suppose like most folk in the UK, would be pretty ignorant as to what quality of store it is, but from what they have on their web site doesn't look like anything special.
:ROFLMAO:
Yeah it had the usual, hard to get as so few manufactured.
It is impressive how much fervour they have at times, for some really cheap ugly looking watches, think that is down mostly to wanting sales. Think it's also amazing at how easy it is for them to attribute so much quality, craftsmanship, value, future heirloom potential etc to watches that are nothing more than affordable/cheap Chinese watches, which have none of those attributes. For some of the presenters, they are just ignorant of watches and are just repeating from a script the brand or the brands expert guest has provided. For the others, and this is where I would place some of the guests, those that claim to know about watches and have collections, they are nothing but conmen with very limited knowledge of watches, they will invent any story to make a sale.

I can't help but wonder if the presenters have sales targets, targets which translate into bonuses?

If they are simply on a fixed salary, then they are all better actors than we give them credit for.

I wonder if they are paid a fixed amount by appearance/show, the more sales on a show the more shows they get to do and and therefore more money, see Peter V as an example, once the chief tech and household appliance expert, was never off the screen boring the hell out of us :ROFLMAO:, now relegated the odd cordless vacuum or luxurious bonded leather chair show.

With watch shows, they seem to be dominated by the three male so called watch expert/collector presenters, misinformation and lies are second nature to these three, they're experts in spouting bullshit and IMO all three have a very limited knowledge of watches, would also add that the guests on the watch shows (apart from Reynolds, although he does go a bit overboard at times), are nothing but a bunch of conmen/women now, all of them have sunk to the level of the IW presenters.

I've also noticed these three also seem to feature regularly on a bigger variety of shows than the rest of the presenters, they must be regarded as the chief bullshitters that are able con the most viewers into buying.

Is she not normally one of the guest experts/supplier, sure i've see her with quilts, pillows, mattresses etc, she must have gone the same route as the Proskins lass, starts as a guest then becomes a regular presenter.

Speaking of Bev Hare, a few days ago she was gushing over how good the Fast Press System was and how much of a time saver etc and better than an Iron and why would you have an Iron, now she's back to the Polti Iron and it's the best thing since sliced bread. They really must think everyone forgets what they've said before.

A lot of the 'expert guests' are from agencies, out of work actors etc. I was watching The Chase the other week and one of the contestants was a familiar face. IW use her face when they sell Fabulift and the like. Bradley asked her what she did, I was all ears, she said she was an Extra and was in Call the Midwife.

Latest posts

Back