Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Nice to see Yiannis getting into the spirit of things with Chrissie D. today.

IMG_0987.jpeg

Back to now and the ghastly parade of Chinese £9.99 tat they try and sell in a car boot stylee is unrecognisable to the Ideal World of say 10 years ago. And despite the new studio, which they completely fail to utilise properly because of the relentless conveyor belt of small in size countertop goods they sell, there is also no accessible outside space as the former Ideal Worlds could and did use. If nothing else, to create contrast and variety of selling and goods style. Cheap and nasty from a rail ‘fashion’, low-end watches, power banks, batteries, tribute scents, air fryers, more air fryers, felt tip pens, Christmas cracker dash-cams, canes….Have I missed anything? Oh…some gardening stuff in season…Can’t think of anything other non-beauty related they do?

I really don't understand why they bothered with a new studio at all.

Some folks on here were optimistic that "proper" stock for IW3 was being held back for the new studio launch, and that they just rushed on air selling TJC items as a stop gap, etc.

And that 'insider' account popped up getting snarky when posters (like me, hah) were saying nothing would change - same tat, bigger room - then gave us a passive aggressive countdown until the launch, inferring how it was going to blow us all away, etc.

Alas, the IW3 business model of cheap crap bought in bulk from China, and sold relentlessly works.

Why chase thin margins selling branded goods with proper demos when you import a container load of LED tat from China for pennies a piece, flog each one at £19.99 a pop, and leave an unmanned camera focused on a dribbling Pedro for 2 hours while he eulogises about how hero products, award winning, pricing error, etc.

Previous versions of Ideal World clearly had their faults, but this doppelgänger version is unrecognisable other than in name from them - particularly in terms of the gutter production values and the general basic (flatters them) quality of goods and ‘brands’ featured. They used to have two very good tech experts - Janice and Grant and some decent enough tech stuff to sell along the way. Branded laptops, iPhones, Android ones, both new and refurbished. The tech was better presented by those two than that patronising and tediously repetitive character, Lee, they have had for decades doing it on QVC.

Then, around the time the Bonnie and three Clydes got recruited - Van Wontschtaart got his foot under the ‘Expert Role’ door (presumably because of his wife working there), then permanently took over the ‘Tech Expert’ role. He was as poor then as he is now, but worse because he had more focused time on-air to demonstrate his key skill in that field - BS over substance. You could just see him winging it if you knew anything about technology yourself. Then, they essentially dropped tech and instead of dropping him with it, gave him all types of new ‘Expert’ roles to take on. Clearly, expert in none of them from his performances at them.

Back to now and the ghastly parade of Chinese £9.99 tat they try and sell in a car boot stylee is unrecognisable to the Ideal World of say 10 years ago. And despite the new studio, which they completely fail to utilise properly because of the relentless conveyor belt of small in size countertop goods they sell, there is also no accessible outside space as the former Ideal Worlds could and did use. If nothing else, to create contrast and variety of selling and goods style. Cheap and nasty from a rail ‘fashion’, low-end watches, power banks, batteries, tribute scents, air fryers, more air fryers, felt tip pens, Christmas cracker dash-cams, canes….Have I missed anything? Oh…some gardening stuff in season…Can’t think of anything other non-beauty related they do?
Because we're making the mistake of thinking it's a new incarnation of Ideal World. I know you're just critiquing what we see on iW3 but it's really just 'the TjC homeware channel". Non-jewellery. And it's pretty low-rent. The website is a lot better than the stuff they select for the TV channel, imho.

Nobody watching Joanne
i didn't today ,but a couple of weeks ago she was flogging the dubai room fragrances, spraying them saying "look the mist doesn't come back down because its quality made in dubai" ...i was having a pee the other day and saw there were some in our "family bathroom" i think that is the modern term for ...bathroom.... i sprayed them into the air ...and no mist came back down which showed the quality....except these were from Lidl...and made in good old blighty...and a fraction of the cost of these dubai made ones......smug? you bet..and i hate room fragrances but ....sometimes...they are necessary.....

to be fair i missed the beginning of the show,,but Jeremy is selling waterproof mattress protectors...the screen is telling us its single size,but the bed is double size..so he has a folded single size one to show its the one he is flogging..and he says "it's a decent size for a single bed ,if you look at it's 3 foot by 5foot 10 or whatever a single bed size is" i'm relieved they are selling a single bed mattress protector and it's a decent size.

i didn't today ,but a couple of weeks ago she was flogging the dubai room fragrances, spraying them saying "look the mist doesn't come back down because its quality made in dubai" ...i was having a pee the other day and saw there were some in our "family bathroom" i think that is the modern term for ...bathroom.... i sprayed them into the air ...and no mist came back down which showed the quality....except these were from Lidl...and made in good old blighty...and a fraction of the cost of these dubai made ones......smug? you bet..and i hate room fragrances but ....sometimes...they are necessary.....
at least they neither of them had to tell us how great it was as it had ambergris which is a faancy word for whale vomit/ waste products like " i wouldn't lie to you " Ellis " Game of No Trust" Ward on gems tv

Because we're making the mistake of thinking it's a new incarnation of Ideal World. I know you're just critiquing what we see on iW3 but it's really just 'the TjC homeware channel". Non-jewellery. And it's pretty low-rent. The website is a lot better than the stuff they select for the TV channel, imho.
Agreed. But they keep making out the very opposite of that by constantly making a direct connection between a name and the same defunct name’s unconnected trading history. Deceiving by accident or design yet again.

Just seen this at 10pm. £6.99 for an air freshener aerosol in a frilly cover and cap 'from Dubai' with Jeremy eulogising over the amazing smell.
Not great.
It was the packaging that I found to be really odd. Is the UK shopper ready for a product like this?🤭

I have one of the plug-in ones with 5 settings so you can control the amount coming out, I prefer the lowest setting but even with that I don't have it on much. I'm quite sensitive to very strong fragrances anyway so this isn't something I would go for.

I've got the Neutragena ones that absorb smells, they're very cheap so there's one in the kitchen, bathroom etc.

Why chase thin margins selling branded goods with proper demos when you import a container load of LED tat from China for pennies a piece, flog each one at £19.99 a pop, and leave an unmanned camera focused on a dribbling Pedro for 2 hours while he eulogises about how hero products, award winning, pricing error, etc.
This is it, exactly. And so long as people continue buying said tat, it's actually a pretty robust, profitable business model.

Latest posts

Back