Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well,there I was down Birmingham Rag Market at the weekend and there was a huge group of elderly people gathered round one of the stalls. I couldn’t make out what was going on. But there was huge excitement..
Anyway,at the back 3 elderly ladies in mobility scooters were making their way back to the care home mini bus and I queried what was going on. Lo and behold it was Muriel,Agnes and Gladys and it dawned on me they are avid viewers of Ideal World.

They told me that Simon and Mason were holding a book sale titled ‘Memoirs of a Shopping TV Presenter. How we made our millions’
Well of course the ladies were delighted and bought several books each(multi buying,if you wish). I queried this and they said they could flog ‘em at the local Women’s Institute especially as they were told they would gain value and to put them on the house insurance. Apparently the books had wings..they were flying out,anyway I digress,

I was curious. I asked for a quick peek… and the pages inside were blank!!
I said to Muriel”they’ve done you”..
She smiled and said “oh the little rotters . Aren’t they clever?.I just love those boys”

So the moral of the story is….well I don’t need to explain do I ?

Back to Of-the-Masons flogging bog water for £8.99 - one of the greatest buys you will ever make :rolleyes:

A fragrance that is stunning - and he means stunning.

Quick Muriel, get your phone in your hand. Of-the-Masons is imploring you to multi-buy.
And now his lemonade analogy....Zzzzzzzzzzz

Splash yourself in pop Gladys, likely smell better

We thought Alex was good, but deep down he’s the same
Hi guys - first of all I hope you are all good and well and life is good. I pop on time to time just to check my own narrative and make sure I don’t say anything absurd and if I do - I can improve.
Anyway - I hope everyone is well firstly, the bedding products here are great and I’m getting the opportunity to showcase a lot of new things that I haven’t done before like the copper and silver etc.
Fair comment on the copper pots though - I didn’t explain the point I was trying to make to well at all 😂. But I’ll learn for next time.
Anyway - I’m not on here much but I do reference the forum on the shows and address any questions I see when I do come on here. I hope life is good with you all, everything good my end, kids are well and it’s nice to be doing bedding stuff again. 😊👍

Hi guys - first of all I hope you are all good and well and life is good. I pop on time to time just to check my own narrative and make sure I don’t say anything absurd and if I do - I can improve.
Anyway - I hope everyone is well firstly, the bedding products here are great and I’m getting the opportunity to showcase a lot of new things that I haven’t done before like the copper and silver etc.
Fair comment on the copper pots though - I didn’t explain the point I was trying to make to well at all 😂. But I’ll learn for next time.
Anyway - I’m not on here much but I do reference the forum on the shows and address any questions I see when I do come on here. I hope life is good with you all, everything good my end, kids are well and it’s nice to be doing bedding stuff again. 😊👍
Thanks Alex

Still the Tat-fest - despite it apparently no longer being a clearance.

Caption competition?
20240911_185729.jpg

Hi Alex. I hope you are well too. The thing about bedding, especially pillows, is that every few months they need to be replaced. The pillows lose their oomph. So I do personally realise that there are a variety of products out there that do the same job and would be willing to try them. The problem we have on the forum (speaking for myself at least) is not that you are endorsing multiple items that do the same job, but about the style in which the information is being presented. The channel over the last year at least, has shown us price comparisons that are ambiguous as they never show which website the information has been taken from or when (for instance). In this case we have to be very wary of what is being told to us by Ideal World. Most of us would be grateful of a bargain but some the price manipulations are wearisome. Not a reflection on you, yourself, but, more a frustration of tactics of your colleagues that you might be in danger of being caught up in.

Hi Alex, nice to see a presenter openly coming on here and engaging with us.

One issue that bothers us (amongst many!) is presenters who contradict themselves within a few days. Selling a cordless vacuum on a Monday, it's brilliant compared to the useless corded one we tolerated for years. Then on Thursday it's a corded one for sale and oh how they are so much more reliable than those rubbish cordless ones. These are general comments, I'm not suggesting that you have done it.

Another issue we have with the company is gallery members using names from this forum as fake buyers. We clearly use screen names and not real names which we would use if we had phoned an order through. Repeated use of 'Hammy from Aberdeen' and 'Muttley from Hull'. We know they're fake, and using fake names to encourage people to buy is dishonest. Why should I buy from a company that is dishonest?

Being honest about a product, don't compare a cheap and cheerful handbag to Mulberry as Peter Smon did. Although he was more subtle about how he said it.

And please don't do the fake shocked look when seeing a price, or say there must be a mistake. It's insulting to the viewer.

Just a couple of things that annoy us, as I say none of them are aimed at you. Appreciate that you've come on here openly.

Wonderful to see the new self-appointed Ideal World Gramophone Expert, Peter van HMVITTDECCA…By the looks of things, he was actually appointed about two minutes beforehand, going by his desperate side stares at the instruction manual on the studio decorating table. Cannot wait for his personal Top Ten Singles to not play on it during the silent demonstration of nothing…

1) Rat(tan) in Mi Kitchen - UB40 (Waiting for him)
2) Hooverville (Or any other Friggin’ vacuum)- The Christians
3) Pretend - Alvin Stardust
4) Up On The Roof(Guard) The Shiftiers
5) Hanging Around (The Studio) - The Stranglers
6) Lies - Status Quo
7) I’m Your Puppet (Expert) - James & Bobby Purify
8) Simon Says - 1910 Fruitgum Company
9) FANmail - The Dickies
10) Fire (Gas, Electricity, Oil, Petrol or any other heated-related material they tell me to flog) - The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.

It would be interesting if Alex "the pillow man" was prepared to say which pillows he uses.
Does he have a bed filled with pillows that are not only down, not only memory foam, not only silk, not only GX, not only feather, not only bamboo?

As with the example give on vacuum cleaners, there would be more credibility if the specific merits of pillows were pointed out.

Hi Alex, nice to see a presenter openly coming on here and engaging with us.

One issue that bothers us (amongst many!) is presenters who contradict themselves within a few days. Selling a cordless vacuum on a Monday, it's brilliant compared to the useless corded one we tolerated for years. Then on Thursday it's a corded one for sale and oh how they are so much more reliable than those rubbish cordless ones. These are general comments, I'm not suggesting that you have done it.

Another issue we have with the company is gallery members using names from this forum as fake buyers. We clearly use screen names and not real names which we would use if we had phoned an order through. Repeated use of 'Hammy from Aberdeen' and 'Muttley from Hull'. We know they're fake, and using fake names to encourage people to buy is dishonest. Why should I buy from a company that is dishonest?

Being honest about a product, don't compare a cheap and cheerful handbag to Mulberry as Peter Smon did. Although he was more subtle about how he said it.

And please don't do the fake shocked look when seeing a price, or say there must be a mistake. It's insulting to the viewer.

Just a couple of things that annoy us, as I say none of them are aimed at you. Appreciate that you've come on here openly.
Well said, Muttley. Top post.

I think he (Alex) is in a very difficult position. Unless he demonstrates bedding as a philanthropic love, he needs the money. Many of us have worked in places we have been uncomfortable with both the culture and the protocols. When I was 18 and fresh out of Police training school, I was TOLD in no uncertain terms by two experienced officers to say I’d seen two skinheads throw a bicycle frame at a Pakistani youth during the Brixton Riots period. I hadn’t seen anything of the sort, by the way…You could well say I was unhappy with that culture of work, but I wanted and needed the money, so I stayed another six and a half years.

People like Knowles are no different. He has to put food on the table. And his work often involves appearing on shopping channels like Ideal World. In his great favour, he comes on here in his own name and positively engages with us. Not one other does this nowadays. If the Channel is being run along questionable selling techniques lines, then I cannot see how he can easily refuse to go along with any unsourced priced comparisons they want him to participate with. That said - HE SHOULD DO…I have only seen one presenter (Rob Lamaar) actively and disparagingly refuse to engage with several. And where is he these days? To be grudgingly fair, being positive/negative depending on the type of product (corded/cordless vacuums, for example) is very difficult to avoid. That so-called bastion of shopping television moral selling, QVC, does exactly same thing. They ALL do it. They probably would do it in the likes of John Lewis, too - depending on what you were looking at.

We all know they make-up text senders names and with that accepted- their content also. Can we prove it? Depends on how they log them in if called to account. Is the ASA ever going to leave the comfort of the tea trolley queue and ‘DAWN RAID BUST THEM’?? Don’t hold your breath. I don’t see what he can do about that other than refuse to appear any further.

As said earlier, what I would definitely like to see him NOT involve himself with, is just sitting there as the presenter/Gallery show some ludicrously high, unsourced price comparison massively weighted in the seller’s favour to buy from them. ALL price comparisons should be A) DIRECT (you don’t compare a Skoda with a Roller because they both have four wheels), B) Sourced - WHERE did they find them?? And C) In number - i.e. show at least three or four sourced examples at varying prices to give us an INFORMED CHOICE. Not just the most expensive they can allegedly find from God knows where. Those three KEY things were EXACTLY what previous versions of Ideal World did when using the price comparisons technique. If he has any influence whatsoever there - however difficult…do try and get them to do the price comparisons thing both morally and properly- LIKE WITH LIKE, SOURCED, and MORE THAN ONE…

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back