Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

See what the ASA do. Nothing I guess - as per usual.

I have put one in.

Screenshot 2024-08-06 at 10.07.46.png

I know we've discussed it all before, however this GUFF about manufacturer RRPs and how much products retail for on their own websites is nothing short of pathetic. I'd love to know how many viewers fall for this stuff because jokes aside I kind of feel sorry for them.

The watches are a great example. 'We're selling this to you for £499.99 however if we have a quick look on the <insert manufacturer name here> website we can see it sells all day long for £3000. So we're saving you £2,500.'

I'd love to know how many of these products do sell off the manufacturer websites for full RRP, MMmmmm I wonder ;)

Taking my above example, if you're flogging the thing for £499.99, that's its true retail value and with IW maybe even overpriced.

Let's face it, if something could theoretically sell all day long for £3000, instead of selling it for £499.99 you'd maybe retail it for around £2000. Still saving the buyer a grand and taking an additional £1,500.

It actually gets laughable watching these clowns do this product after product. The shocked faces etc etc.

What evidence did you submit (if any)? My file was too large to upload so attached a copy of the video in the description. If they can be bothered to copy and paste it and look.
I didn’t. I submitted the below. I wasn’t watching intently to be honest. The television was just on in the background in the kitchen. If this isn’t a fully accurate reflection completely it more or less is from what I remember:-

The presenter of the Ideal World beauty show this morning was presenting an Opatra beauty aid called the Light Pro. She had a representative from the company via live video link. Towards the end of the presentation, anecdotal evidence was presented by the company guest that a person had stated to them that their Opatra Light Pro had cured their elderly dog of pain after they had ‘placed them under it’. They went on to say that it had taken only 15 minutes under the Light Pro for the dog to be removed from that pain. The claim is completely outrageous and irresponsible. The presenter, on the other hand, whilst saying that you should consult a veterinarian also, but that she would love to have the pictures of the before and after of the Dog concernec to allow them to promote that claim in future. The item being sold is a beauty aid for humans and is not intended to be used on animals. Encouraging such a claim is misleading, has no clinical evidence back up, and is potentially dangerous if somebody put a dog under the light rays of the unit and the animal reacted badly to it. I wonder how much longer this channel is going to be allowed to make these kind of outrageous claims on shows without any serious punishment? It is becoming tedious having to keep alerting yourselves of their transgressions, only to see them repeat them but even more outrageously time and time and time again. Viewers need to be protected from these kind of claims that are completely inappropriate for this type of goods being sold.

I know we've discussed it all before, however this GUFF about manufacturer RRPs and how much products retail for on their own websites is nothing short of pathetic. I'd love to know how many viewers fall for this stuff because jokes aside I kind of feel sorry for them.

The watches are a great example. 'We're selling this to you for £499.99 however if we have a quick look on the <insert manufacturer name here> website we can see it sells all day long for £3000. So we're saving you £2,500.'

I'd love to know how many of these products do sell off the manufacturer websites for full RRP, MMmmmm I wonder ;)

Taking my above example, if you're flogging the thing for £499.99, that's its true retail value and with IW maybe even overpriced.

Let's face it, if something could theoretically sell all day long for £3000, instead of selling it for £499.99 you'd maybe retail it for around £2000. Still saving the buyer a grand and taking an additional £1,500.

It actually gets laughable watching these clowns do this product after product. The shocked faces etc etc.

But somebody did message Torchy just before midnight to say that they wished they had bought a Duchump from IW, as they bought it direct, and paid £3000! Of course they did!

Janice was salivating over a Willie Hunt - claptrap about it being a quality timepiece for the same cost as his family having some fast food. Naturally, the cost he was speaking about was the first flexi.

I often stop for a burger and chips, with a free refill collagen drink, at McHunt.
They serve the burgers nicely raw but the plinky plonky music in the background takes your mind off the chewing.
Best of all is cost - only £1.99, first of four flexis.
If you pay extra, does chef mark flambé it for you?

But somebody did message Torchy just before midnight to say that they wished they had bought a Duchump from IW, as they bought it direct, and paid £3000! Of course they did!

Unfortunately there are idiots out there who believe all the Duchump marketing/patter, have seen on reddit and youtube folks that have bought direct at RRP price. Duchump are new and fairly unknown to many folks buying watches, even collectors, so they will catch folks out at the moment, but slowly but surely they'll earn a reputation for having ridiculous overpriced RRPs and giving 80/90% discounts. Their web site isn't their main avenue for retailing anyway, it's mainly for marketing.

I have it on good authority that William Hunt will shortly be bringing out a range of hemorrhoid creams...🤫

I think somebody needs to wake up the ASA on that last claim. Essentially this channel is out of control.
I'd like Natalia to prove how how the iBrow device will (not can), on its own, make you look 10 years younger. Which is exactly what she claimed this morning.

In some ways Ms Slime is the worst purveyor of BS and hype on IW because her shtick depends on selling very expensive toys to susceptible possibly vulnerable people.

Well done Duke and Output for reporting to the ASA. This channel is becoming an oasis (or should I say mirage) of fantastically ludicrous claims and comparisons.

As a viewer I'm fed up with being taken for a sucker by these utter charlatans. Why is nothing ever done to curtail them?

But then again how is it that main stream TV advertisers such as Dormeo get away with pretending that their mattresses are perpetually on sale?

"Must end Monday" but they never say which Monday.

IF there was a pop up type store in Harrods and I saw those two women pushing these products I would walk quickly on. No way would I take advice from people who look the way they do.They may be nice people but they both look bizarre after whatever tweakments they may have had.Miss Belisha should have left well alone because she was very pretty a few years ago.

Watching Natalia this morning it occurs to me she is now beyond shiny and is moving into the slimy stage.

Where will it en

I'd like Natalia to prove how how the iBrow device will (not can), on its own, make you look 10 years younger. Which is exactly what she claimed this morning.

In some ways Ms Slime is the worst purveyor of BS and hype on IW because her shtick depends on selling very expensive toys to susceptible possibly vulnerable people.
I remember when she used to be a BA on QVC for a brow and lash serum. I think the brow serum worked as her before and after went from normal eyebrows to Dennis Healey ones.

''OMG I forgot to mention, one of the lovely clients on Ideal World had a dog who was in pain and couldn't walk, after 10 minutes of use the dog was back to normal''

That is the single worst health claim I have ever heard this channel spit out. A miracle cure for dogs. The Opatra light pro. This channel needs investigating ASAP. That is utterly disgusting saying things like that with ZERO medical evidence to back it up.
scooby-doo.gif

I’ve been reading these ASA related posts with interest as I felt compelled to visit the ASA website only yesterday. Surprise, surprise…it was prompted by the exaggerated claims of I.W. I’ll be contacting the ASA too…

I’m not an avid I.W viewer - just short viewing bursts here and there. I’m an early 50s female with an interest in beauty/style so I view I.W’s offerings with dismay. There IS clinical evidence of results from LED light therapy however the products sold by Ideal World are questionable. (For anyone looking for trusted beauty solutions, please look to sellers such as CurrentBody in the UK). My biggest issue is with the disingenuous nature of I.W’s ridiculously (laughably) inflated RRPs and the wild reaches of their transformative claims.

There is no question that the likes of Natalia, for example, have had Botox, lip filler etc. I’ve spoken about Natalia’s cringeworthy preening on here before but that’s an aside. It’s the ‘save hundreds/thousands of pounds etc’ that make my blood boil. Opatra, for example, appear to have a website with entirely fictitious pricing and I’d love to know how much they actually sell at RRP. I’ll bet it’s a concession space they have in Harrods and I’d imagine that if you engage with any of their staff there, they’d ‘reluctantly’ offer you an in-person ‘one time only’ offer price that bore no relation to their web pricing.

Trusted beauty journalists (Nadine Baggot, Sali Hughes etc) never mention ANY I.W beauty products be they electrical or otherwise. I wonder why….?

I’m not an avid I.W viewer - just short viewing bursts here and there. I’m an early 50s female with an interest in beauty/style so I view I.W’s offerings with dismay. There IS clinical evidence of results from LED light therapy however the products sold by Ideal World are questionable. (For anyone looking for trusted beauty solutions, please look to sellers such as CurrentBody in the UK). My biggest issue is with the disingenuous nature of I.W’s ridiculously (laughably) inflated RRPs and the wild reaches of their transformative claims.

This is a very good point.

Shopping channels will sell beauty light therapy devices with references like "the NHS use light therapy", "found in high-end beauty clinics", and make statements like "FDA approved" or "has FDA clearance*" as if there's equivalence between all types of LEDs.

But there really isn't!

The NHS and high-end clinics use medically-certified devices that use LEDS which emit specific, proven wavelengths (and those only), consistently, predictably, reliably.

Most cheap LED beauty equipment use standard white LEDs with a red plastic filter over them - which is not the same and useless!

Even devices a bit further up the rung that do use red LEDs (and crow about the fact) are using mass-market LEDS (found in everything from remote controls to toy cars to laptop power indicators), so there's no assurance they cover the therapeutic wavelengths, or if they do, if they do it consistently - as they're not medical grade, i.e., certified, tested, reliable.

One way the cheap tat paddlers counteract this is to inflate their RRP since punters are reassured that high price = good quality (even if they happen to be in the right place at the right time watching a shopping channel doing an unbelievable 99% off the RRP deal and av a buy).

*People see FDA approved and think 'the FDA has independently evaluated THIS product and verified its claims' - it does not. It simply means whoever made the FIRST red light device proved to the FDA is didn't harm people. All subsequent red light devices can apply for 'FDA approved' status by filing paperwork to say 'I use this in my product', pay a fee, and that's that - no need to prove anything.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back