Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I was channel hopping last night and when going through the selly telly channels I settled for about a min on one of the QVC channels. It was a guy not in the studio (i.e. he was presenting remotely) possibly from the states judging by his accent. He was obviously the creator and flogger of beauty stuff. Face like a tightly pulled drum skin. What angered me was he made the point of saying something like 'it makes sense to start using this from 14/15 years of age ...' blah blah blah. This wasn't just a normal face cream, it had ingredients to do this that and the other to the skin.

I'm no expert, but unless a teenager has some form of skin condition, surely the best thing for their young skin is as FEW products as possible. Maybe using a gentle soap to wash/cleanse.

Get 'em young was evidently the mantra. Hey, why not consider botox from age 16 to ensure those pesky lines never have a chance of appearing.

I appreciate this is what selly telly does. I'm not daft. However it just increasingly infuriates me to witness it playing out on screen, hence why I rarely watch these days.

I was channel hopping last night and when going through the selly telly channels I settled for about a min on one of the QVC channels. It was a guy not in the studio (i.e. he was presenting remotely) possibly from the states judging by his accent. He was obviously the creator and flogger of beauty stuff. Face like a tightly pulled drum skin. What angered me was he made the point of saying something like 'it makes sense to start using this from 14/15 years of age ...' blah blah blah. This wasn't just a normal face cream, it had ingredients to do this that and the other to the skin.

I'm no expert, but unless a teenager has some form of skin condition, surely the best thing for their young skin is as FEW products as possible. Maybe using a gentle soap to wash/cleanse.

Get 'em young was evidently the mantra. Hey, why not consider botox from age 16 to ensure those pesky lines never have a chance of appearing.

I appreciate this is what selly telly does. I'm not daft. However it just increasingly infuriates me to witness it playing out on screen, hence why I rarely watch these days.
I have a 17 year old cousin, the amount of crap she puts on her face is shocking

Ideal World clearly had little respect for the intelligence of their buying base. The abject garbage that was peddled during the watch shows in particular. The ‘hurrying’ them along on what you suspected was a false premise on questionable stock numbers levels and potential selling outs/sold olds/sold out back to selling outs and so on. The constant making out the presenter was somehow your friend and the channel was your family. Placing also what I think now were pretend orders for themselves live on air to encourage faith in the value of the goods being sold. Watching the desperate rattan last stand last month, there was very little friendship or sense of family on view. Unless friendship meant sh..on your foot and family meant shi..on the other one.

I have a 17 year old cousin, the amount of crap she puts on her face is shocking
Yeah, I get that teens will be putting all sorts of slap on their faces, it was more the fact of this guy stating 14/15 year olds should be starting a skincare regime with his stuff. I highly suspect a dermatologist would say 'eh, no, not required.'

Yeah, I get that teens will be putting all sorts of slap on their faces, it was more the fact of this guy stating 14/15 year olds should be starting a skincare regime with his stuff. I highly suspect a dermatologist would say 'eh, no, not required.'
Was this guy looking like he had work done, and if you looked at his neck it was crepy

Not on Shop Extra, seriously if they are only going to air 6 hours a night, they could live on 4 presenters
Mind you they could hang out on a 7 piece Linea rattan garden seating set supplied by their chums of Sports Direct. While they waitfor their new slot on 213 channel 6pm -12 slot. I'll not be viewing. I just wish they would never rapear ever. Save inocent customers being led up a garden path again. Shamfull how they treated their long term customers at the end, on the not so Ideal World, more like the Ideal Nightmare

Mind you they could hang out on a 7 piece Linea rattan garden seating set supplied by their chums of Sports Direct. While they waitfor their new slot on 213 channel 6pm -12 slot. I'll not be viewing. I just wish they would never rapear ever. Save inocent customers being led up a garden path again. Shamfull how they treated their long term customers at the end, on the not so Ideal World, more like the Ideal Nightmare
How are u. Getting on

I had been wanting to see a demo of one of the machines they were selling from LAB to compare with something on TJC but every time I recorded a show that it was supposed to be on and fast forwarded through to get to the bit I wanted , it was never shown, very disappointing as there wasn’t a demo attached to the item either. Neither could I find video on LAB‘s own web site or elsewhere on tinternet. Rather fishy.

How are u. Getting on
Hi Jazzy, slow very slow, had a sort of reply from Kroll,they still think we are expecting a refund! god give me strenghth. They advised us contact our C/C provider to seek advice on how to obtain a charge back refund & in the event that does not work to make an unsecured claim in the addministration eastate! We have already done that first part re charge back.. If they actualy read the detailed events they would realise we simply need them to acknowlage the order was cancelled at their C/S on the 27th June.C/s E mails subsiquently prove that saying they were recalling the item from the couriers. I can prove we never recieved the blasted cancelleld order. Just stop top trying to take money for a cancelled order. They did say however once again they were very busy with creditors that are owed!? By that I presume traders that were never paid for goods supplied to IW for resale. While up against that how the heck can good old loyal customers expect a sensable outcome I ask myself.

Hi Jazzy, slow very slow, had a sort of reply from Kroll,they still think we are expecting a refund! god give me strenghth. They advised us contact our C/C provider to seek advice on how to obtain a charge back refund & in the event that does not work to make an unsecured claim in the addministration eastate! We have already done that first part re charge back.. If they actualy read the detailed events they would realise we simply need them to acknowlage the order was cancelled at their C/S on the 27th June.C/s E mails subsiquently prove that saying they were recalling the item from the couriers. I can prove we never recieved the blasted cancelleld order. Just stop top trying to take money for a cancelled order. They did say however once again they were very busy with creditors that are owed!? By that I presume traders that were never paid for goods supplied to IW for resale. While up against that how the heck can good old loyal customers expect a sensable outcome I ask myself.
PS I bet you wish you had never asked Jazzy. I know I said I would up date.

I think whatever way you look at it, the shopping television industry is not a long-term business model. At present there are still a lot of people to fit in the target market. People probably aged from their mid-50s, not very tech-savvie and not very brand or price aware. You only have to look at the reviews on a channel like QVC and the contributors age range is usually always 65 and beyond. In 20 years time, facing the hard facts of live, the majority of that customer profile and us observers will be gone.

Young people, just don’t shop that way anymore. They don’t want to have to wait for their goods to be delivered when the shopping channel chooses to deliver them. They want access to what they want to buy instantly, and not have to wait for a half anhour of other items being shown before they see them. They want to be actively involved in the ordering process and to manage their order effectively after they made it. Ideal World thought that they could appeal to a younger audience with some of the more recent fashion shows and other ‘yoof’ related products. We all know what happened to them. I would strongly suspect that shopping television as we know it within the next couple of decades or so will be something looked back on with nostalgia. Similar to Prestel and Oracle, and playing our music on cassette.
Yes, you make some good points.

I think there is a niche for shopping TV for demonstrating and explaining products in more detail than just photos or descriptions on a web site. Of course, they can host videos too, but a human explaining live an item in detail and perhaps explaining what the item solves and why you may have a need for it is where it comes in useful.

Ironically, they often don't do either in any great depth! On IW the watches were never explained much. But vacuums and jesters etc worked well to show how they work.

On TJC website the jewellery is often shown with static photo and no scale or sizing, whereas on the TJC TV channel the presenters show the item and obviously the scale, size and look becomes more obvious.

Yes, you make some good points.

I think there is a niche for shopping TV for demonstrating and explaining products in more detail than just photos or descriptions on a web site. Of course, they can host videos too, but a human explaining live an item in detail and perhaps explaining what the item solves and why you may have a need for it is where it comes in useful.

Ironically, they often don't do either in any great depth! On IW the watches were never explained much. But vacuums and jesters etc worked well to show how they work.

On TJC website the jewellery is often shown with static photo and no scale or sizing, whereas on the TJC TV channel the presenters show the item and obviously the scale, size and look becomes more obvious.
We managed well enough before shopping telly became a thing over here. I get that there's a lot more technology that simply wasn't there back in the day so seeing a demonstration is more necessary, but as Duke said the less savvy oldies/technophobes are dwindling and will eventually erode the need for it. Even now the more savvy "oldie" will use the shopping channels for the demos and ideas then buy elsewhere 'cause it's cheaper! The new generation of shoppers especially when it come to tech would sooner go into a niche shop and get advice from there or go on line. They're not interested in presenter chit chat, waiting to hear what the BA has to say, or even waiting for the show to start. Fashion wise, younger generations want "labels" and that doesn't mean Marla Wynne or Nylon & Co so nothing for them here.
Gaming plays an absolutely massive part in the lives of the younger generations, but has zero presence in the world of selly telly, so in all not a lot to draw them in, let alone keep them there.
They might just manage to hang on in there until the boomers reach their dotage, but on the whole it's not looking good for TV home shopping.

The websites aren't great either. No active way to properly manage an order online on QVC's website and the former Ideal World's. No named day ordering, and no way to cancel even an immediately made order via the web. Younger buyers are used to being able to do those things when they buy online. In particular, they wouldn't tolerate these archaic, completely buyer unfriendly websites that the main shopping channels appear to offer.

Latest posts

Back