Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

licensed-image

A member of the DUCHAMPE family greeting Peter Simon in the meeting (possibly)

We had the dubious pleasure of mine host, Diddy-Brain Duchamps last night

I didn’t see the programme last night. It makes sad reading to see what appears to be people being conned in the way products are being incorrectly described. This channel isn’t the domain of rich people buying watches I strongly suspect. This is the kind of buying platform where generally people don’t have that kind of money, and are stretching themselves financially in the hope they are buying watches that have collectibility, and therefore as an investment purchase. People are very much relying on the descriptions of the watches being sold being accurate, in order to make an informed choice to buy. But it sounds, in particular, that the programme last night was full of stark inaccuracies and misinformation. If that is true, and the channel know what they are purporting as fact, isn’t, then that is conning people, and if so, to see so little action being taken by the overseeing body who are supposed to be protecting viewers from being stung, it is pitiful. The links provided about the man with the upside down head two are equally concerning. The Trustpilot reviews being very unfortunate.

Pedro Simone was on with Joe Rumbles yesterday with yet another airfryer.....Pedro was going on about how rare these airfyrers are and you must check out those baskets blah blah blah.

In all honesty how can he stand and slabber on with a straight face about how rare airfryers are? thats all IW have had on for the past few months at least!! And they were about to sell out accortding to Pedro......they didnt!!!

Wind it up Pedro the show was over long ago for you, your routine is dire, if the man had to do a show and not tell any fibs it would be a silent show!!!

I didn’t see the programme last night. It makes sad reading to see what appears to be people being conned in the way products are being incorrectly described. This channel isn’t the domain of rich people buying watches I strongly suspect. This is the kind of buying platform where generally people don’t have that kind of money, and are stretching themselves financially in the hope they are buying watches that have collectibility, and therefore as an investment purchase. People are very much relying on the descriptions of the watches being sold being accurate, in order to make an informed choice to buy. But it sounds, in particular, that the programme last night was full of stark inaccuracies and misinformation. If that is true, and the channel know what they are purporting as fact, isn’t, then that is conning people, and if so, to see so little action being taken by the overseeing body who are supposed to be protecting viewers from being stung, it is pitiful. The links provided about the man with the upside down head two are equally concerning. The Trustpilot reviews being very unfortunate.
I have only been into my watches for about 5 years or so but like you said when you start out with smaller budgets and knowledge you need to be told the truth so you can learn and make informed choices about the watches you buy etc....I've no problem with cheap watches if you like the design and know its origin..not everyone is lucky enough to go big with watches..but the blatant misrepresentation and inflated prices is nothing short of fraudulent.

I thought that a high rrp that had no real bearing on value were a thing of the past, from yesteryear sunday supplement mags.

Though i will not be buying a watch anytime soon I actually thought the Didier watches look really smart, on the close ups you can tell they are cheaper products (like others with high rrp eg Ballast/Nubeo) but on their stylish looks imo they stack up Ok without descending into fantasy rrp land to try get a sale.

Telling you you must insure them is no doubt to try and give the fantasy land rrp some credibility. Shocking they can get away with it.

They can only get away with it because of the pitifully supine administrative body overseeing television advertising on shopping television channels clearly is. I have dealt with some inefficient, tardy and weak supposedly public protecting organisations in the past in various jobs I have done, but the ASA is by far the worst. All I can say is shame on the people involved in peddling these shamelessly inaccurate presentations. I hope they sleep well at night and I’m absolutely sure they do.

They can only get away with it because of the pitifully supine administrative body overseeing television advertising on shopping television channels clearly is. I have dealt with some inefficient, tardy and weak supposedly public protecting organisations in the past in various jobs I have done, but the ASA is by far the worst. All I can say is shame on the people involved in peddling these shamelessly inaccurate presentations. I hope they sleep well at night and I’m absolutely sure they do.

Very well said

I thought that a high rrp that had no real bearing on value were a thing of the past, from yesteryear sunday supplement mags.

Though i will not be buying a watch anytime soon I actually thought the Didier watches look really smart, on the close ups you can tell they are cheaper products (like others with high rrp eg Ballast/Nubeo) but on their stylish looks imo they stack up Ok without descending into fantasy rrp land to try get a sale.

Telling you you must insure them is no doubt to try and give the fantasy land rrp some credibility. Shocking they can get away with it.

Watching last nights show, i have no complaint against the watches quality wise as such, ok none on the show really appealed to me, just the sales tactics and lies about the brand etc.

Looking at the bigger range of watches on their web site, I would class their watches over three categories.

Non Swiss movement, made by ILG in the far East, looked on a par with most of the fashion brands you see at similar prices, definitely way above the likes Swan & Edagr, Resultco etc for quality and finishing.

The Swiss movement watches which I'm assuming are assembled in the far east again by ILG, on a par with folks like Rotary, upper Fashion Brands and again above the dross on IW and better quality & finishing that the majority of Ballast/Nubeo and the rest of Solar Time watches.

The Swiss made watches, are definitely on a par with the affordable end of Swiss watching, ie some of Mathey-Tissot lines, and seeing they are assembled by the same company and using some of their designs Roamer & Swiss Military.

If applying quality to IW brands, then the actual watchmaking brands come top, but Christophe Duchamp watches would rank pretty high outside of the actual watchmaking brands, they would probably be close to best of the rest. Think their best decision was to use an experieced Swiss/Far East watchmaking company, rather than going the direct from god knows who in China route like a lot of the IW brands.

Against better judgement, as i know it's a waste of time, i've thrown in a complaint to ASA about last nights show.

Well it's Vostok Europe tonight on the "collectors" show, wonder how many of the extremely low stock or sold out watches Kev will have found at the bottom of the wardrobe 😁

I'm expecting a "European exclusive launch" of the Vostok Europe Gents Ltd Ed Gelezinis Vilkas Watch. If Peter was doing the show then we'd be getting first to see an down this stunning timepiece.

Of course this watch has already been on sale at multiple retailers.

Pretend Expert: Now Blodwyn, can you hear any sound at all from the air purifier (noticeable air conditioning unit type noise on medium setting). I am putting my microphone right next to the machine.

Annoying Welsh Girl: No..No.. No noise..

Pretend Expert: Well, that sound isn't too loud, is it?"

Annoying Welsh Girl: No sound..No..No..

They appear to do anything to assist a sale. Even going deaf.

I've nothing against Chinese watches per se, I have a few, San Martin, pagani design etc, and you know exactly what you're buying, but IW shysters gild a pigs ear by implying something that they're not.

As you say, you know what you're getting, think the only thing that lets the Chinese watch reputation down is the ultra cheap watches from the backstreet sweatshops with little to no quality control, but if you stick with and pay a little bit extra for the better brands like San Martin, Sea-gull, Pagani Design, Parnis, Corgeut & Reef Tiger you see the difference.
For your money, especially if you haven't got much of a budget, you can get some decent watches from China these days. In comparison to most of the Chinese supplied brands on IW you'll get more & better quality for your money going direct to Chinese brands than buying from IW. As IW are always saying cut out the middle man and go direct. :)

What about Gamages watches? I bought one from TJC only to hear stories about they are made in China and only time they ever in England is when they touch down at Heathrow fully made !!!!! I fell for the hype but as the saying goes if it sounds to be good to true then it probably is!! £99.99 p instead of hundreds?? Really? I wish I knew...

I'm expecting a "European exclusive launch" of the Vostok Europe Gents Ltd Ed Gelezinis Vilkas Watch. If Peter was doing the show then we'd be getting first to see an down this stunning timepiece.

Of course this watch has already been on sale at multiple retailers.

well Shaun has just announced the watch is coming at 7pm and is exclusive to IW.

Yeah Shaun, definitely exclusive to IW. :ROFLMAO:

What about Gamages watches? I bought one from TJC only to hear stories about they are made in China and only time they ever in England is when they touch down at Heathrow fully made !!!!! I fell for the hype but as the saying goes if it sounds to be good to true then it probably is!! £99.99 p instead of hundreds?? Really? I wish I knew...
Yep, you've been taken by the bull.

Latest posts

Back