Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Well that Ballast Amphion definitely has a Miyota in it the way the seconds hand is doing the stick and jump.
Not watching, but did they show an old black & white pic of a 1920s tank, plane, boat, submarine, car or motorbike and tell viewers how the watch is inextricably linked to it?

IW have a got a phone hour.

With a guest I’ve never seen before, he looks Geeky with Glasses.

The phone is one with big keys on, Mark Reyes says the main talking point is it that has Emergency SOS on it

He comes on as a tech expert now and again, often on with the cheap TVs. He's an IW employee 18 years, head of technical operations the last 6 months, bit like Becs that does the H2O cleaner, they both worked behind the scenes now in front of the cameras as pretendy experts.

He was also a supervising director on create and craft for a few years.

Not watching, but did they show an old black & white pic of a 1920s tank, plane, boat, submarine, car or motorbike and tell viewers how the watch is inextricably linked to it?

Actually the story for the watch on IW web site & on Ballast's web site is a copy and paste of the wikipedia info for the Amphion sub. Looks like they just look through names of subs on wiki and pinch the name & story. :ROFLMAO:

IW scrapping the bottom of the barrel as they like to do, Mark selling the phone, talking about hose pipe bans being in place and Reg (wooop wooop Paul all round pain in the ass) Varney hammering on about energy prices, Life is hard enough at the moment its all we hear on TV news, newspapers and online news they all thrive on it, and now IW have jumped on board also, give up a ****** break!!! They will use anything and say anything for a sale.

And as ever Reg V is doing what all the presenters do and making the show allllll about him.......:sleep:

I'm at a loss as to how IW and Thomas Earnshaw get away with saying about the Investigator watch.

"the skeleton automatic movement "floats" within the inner case"

"Thomas Earnshaw Gents Investigator Floating Skeleton Automatic Watch"

There is no floating in that watch, the movement like all movements in watches is fixed securely to the dial, granted there isn't much of a dial, but there is a dial wihich movement is fixed to, which means the movement is no way shape or form "floats" or looks like "floating".

I'm at a loss as to how IW and Thomas Earnshaw get away with saying about the Investigator watch.

"the skeleton automatic movement "floats" within the inner case"

"Thomas Earnshaw Gents Investigator Floating Skeleton Automatic Watch"

There is no floating in that watch, the movement like all movements in watches is fixed securely to the dial, granted there isn't much of a dial, but there is a dial wihich movement is fixed to, which means the movement is no way shape or form "floats" or looks like "floating".
I'm no watch expert, but seeing some of those in close-up, they look very cheap. They have the audacity to sit and say with a straight face 'buy now as it'll go back up to £399 after this event, which is still a very good price.'

Free this, free that, free tat ... anything to flog 'em.

I don't care what anyone says, to me the conveyer belt way they sell devalues whatever value the watches have. Sell, right next, sell, right next, sell, right next ...

Even if they were selling £5k watches that were genuinely worth £5k, the way they sell would out me off buying from them. What doesn't help is the manner in which they afford the same praise for a watch if it's £39.99, £399.99 or £3,999.99.

I'm no watch expert, but seeing some of those in close-up, they look very cheap. They have the audacity to sit and say with a straight face 'buy now as it'll go back up to £399 after this event, which is still a very good price.'

Free this, free that, free tat ... anything to flog 'em.

I don't care what anyone says, to me the conveyer belt way they sell devalues whatever value the watches have. Sell, right next, sell, right next, sell, right next ...

Even if they were selling £5k watches that were genuinely worth £5k, the way they sell would out me off buying from them. What doesn't help is the manner in which they afford the same praise for a watch if it's £39.99, £399.99 or £3,999.99.

I started to watch last night but turned off at the start when Peter Simon said, "even if you don't like it, just buy it" followed a few seconds late by "must put them on your household insurance".:unsure:

Why would you buy something you don't like? Why insure? These aren't watches that are investments and will appear on some future variation of Antiques Roadshow in 50+ years. These are just run of the mill, cheap affordable Chinese watches, which have been given outrageous RRPs to give them the appearance of a much higher quality than they actually are and make their discount price appear like you're getting a bargain.

Also during his opening monologue he stated the pick of the day had a brand new movement, yeah Peter the movement inside the watches you are selling may be brand new ie manufactured recently, but the actual movement (Miyota 6P00) design is decades old.

I know you've said it a million times, that IW know their viewership, but it still amazes me how gullible folks are to be taken in by such blatant fraudulent sales techniques, it's no wonder scammers have a field day in this country, the country is full of mindless sheep that will believe any crap being spouted to them, especially by selly telly personalities or social media influencers.

I started to watch last night but turned off at the start when Peter Simon said, "even if you don't like it, just buy it" followed a few seconds late by "must put them on your household insurance".:unsure:

Why would you buy something you don't like? Why insure? These aren't watches that are investments and will appear on some future variation of Antiques Roadshow in 50+ years. These are just run of the mill, cheap affordable Chinese watches, which have been given outrageous RRPs to give them the appearance of a much higher quality than they actually are and make their discount price appear like you're getting a bargain.

Also during his opening monologue he stated the pick of the day had a brand new movement, yeah Peter the movement inside the watches you are selling may be brand new ie manufactured recently, but the actual movement (Miyota 6P00) design is decades old.

I know you've said it a million times, that IW know their viewership, but it still amazes me how gullible folks are to be taken in by such blatant fraudulent sales techniques, it's no wonder scammers have a field day in this country, the country is full of mindless sheep that will believe any crap being spouted to them, especially by selly telly personalities or social media influencers.
His 'just buy it!' mantra doesn't work for most of the products IW sell. Where it might work is if they were selling something like 200 decent quality toilet rolls for £9.99 all in, the inference being 'you use this stuff all the time and the deal is SO good, buy them now even though you don't need them all now.'

That rarely works when you're selling stuff like watches, table top ovens, vacuums etc, and yeah, the 'please insure it' is just another of his pathetic subliminal techniques to make viewers think the product is of value.

I agree re the viewers, if folk see through the bullsh1t and buy cause for them it's a good deal/product, fine. However it's the gullible ones you feel sorry for as they're predisposed to think these people really are their friends etc.

Unless I'm missing something, there was a blatant LIE from Peter S last night. They were flogging 20 litres of Roofix for £179.99. Peter said on more than one occasion 'you can't buy it anywhere else!'

So Peter, IW is the only place selling Roofix? And you'd no doubt say the £179.99 is an unbeatable price.

Emmmmm ...

IW selling an ice cube maker for £14.99!!!! It produces about 15 ice balls that would defrost fast by the looks of them and it looks a bulky item and awkard as hell to get said ice balls out of. Sean thinks its a great product, I think going to a supermarket and getting a big bag of ice for £1 is a great idea.........£14.99 Peter Simon will be telling us to "just av a buy and put it on the t'ome insurance!"

IW selling an ice cube maker for £14.99!!!! It produces about 15 ice balls that would defrost fast by the looks of them and it looks a bulky item and awkard as hell to get said ice balls out of. Sean thinks its a great product, I think going to a supermarket and getting a big bag of ice for £1 is a great idea.........£14.99 Peter Simon will be telling us to "just av a buy and put it on the t'ome insurance!"
You'd need a kitchen the size of a football field to house all the stuff they flog. Mike M was flogging a coffee maker a while back and was saying how small its footprint was.

The thing was bigger than a desktop PC! Slap that on a worktop in an average sized kitchen and there wouldn't be hellish much worktop space left ;)

Unless I'm missing something, there was a blatant LIE from Peter S last night. They were flogging 20 litres of Roofix for £179.99. Peter said on more than one occasion 'you can't buy it anywhere else!'

So Peter, IW is the only place selling Roofix? And you'd no doubt say the £179.99 is an unbeatable price.

Emmmmm ...

They are quite sneaky with this product, although I agree it is lying.

One possible way they could claim exclusivity and get away with it, is that the Roofix IW sells is called and labelled Roofix M whereas the link you've provided is for Roofix 20/10. Of course lenient ASA would probably let IW off the hook becasue flag paints have supplied the product in tin labelled with M instead of 20/10.

But the truth of the matters is that Roofix M and Roofix 20/10 is the exact same stuff and probably just use the different name for IW to claim exclusivity.
You know the contents of both products is exactly the same as only one MSDS exists and that's for Roofix 20/10 which means Roofix M must have the exact same contents as 20/10. If it were different a separate MSDS would exist but it doesn't, so although they call & label it Roofix M on IW the can actually contains Roofix 20/10.

Product sheet exists for both and you'll notice the only difference between the two is 20/10 advises to consult the MSDS.

but only one MSDS exists.

Oh and the other big lie in those show is Peter V continually comparing it with Bitumen paint and how Bitumen paint is poor for repairing leaks. He shouldn't be using Bitumen paint in his demos as it isn't a fair comparison, it ain't made for repairing leaks it's for weatherproofing only, there are Bitumen products, with fibres, like Roofix which are made for fixing leaks but then if they used them that wouldn't allow Peter V and IW to shows us a deceitful demo. ;)

Last edited:

Reg V was flogging it the other day and his attempts to open allegedly frozen ones was hilarious, 3 attempts and 3 disasters, 1st was definitely frozen and he couldn't open it had to give up, got handed a 2nd one and it was 50/50 ice and water and 3rd time lucky ended up with just water flowing out. :ROFLMAO:

Reg V was flogging it the other day and his attempts to open allegedly frozen ones was hilarious, 3 attempts and 3 disasters, 1st was definitely frozen and he couldn't open it had to give up, got handed a 2nd one and it was 50/50 ice and water and 3rd time lucky ended up with just water flowing out. :ROFLMAO:
'You MUST insure it!!!'

Oh and the other big lie in those show is Peter V continually comparing it with Bitumen paint and how Bitumen paint is poor for repairing leaks. He shouldn't be using Bitumen paint in his demos as it isn't a fair comparison, it ain't made for repairing leaks it's for weatherproofing only, there are Bitumen products, with fibres, like Roofix which are made for fixing leaks but then if they used them that wouldn't allow Peter V and IW to shows us a deceitful demo. ;)
100% agree. If doing a true comparison, compare it against something like this:

Even Roofix might not seem quite as miraculous then ;)

Amazing value this evening on the watch show. Not only do you get a £1500 Ballarset piece of time for around £350!!! You also get a plastic box with rubber feet in orange that winds your watch -free… Yes!! Free!!! This plastic container is worth £600…Wow. Unbelievable. How do they do it??

Where's Shaun, bring him back :eek: why have we been lumbered with the most annoying prat of a presenter, boys does the guy love the sound of his own voice, which wouldn't be so bad if he actually said something worth listening too, but it's a torrent of utter inane irrelevant garbage he's spouting, he's just wittering on endlessly for the sake of it and wanting to be center of attention. He's one of those annoying prat that needs to be told to STFU. :mad:

Amazing value this evening on the watch show. Not only do you get a £1500 Ballarset piece of time for around £350!!! You also get a plastic box with rubber feet in orange that winds your watch -free… Yes!! Free!!! This plastic container is worth £600…Wow. Unbelievable. How do they do it??
I kid you not, when I saw that watch winder, it reminded me of something you might build as a project in Craft & Design / Woodwork class! Looked like a cheap piece of tat. The value/worth they place on stuff is laughable.

I kid you not, when I saw that watch winder, it reminded me of something you might build as a project in Craft & Design / Woodwork class! Looked like a cheap piece of tat. The value/worth they place on stuff is laughable.

It really is farcical.

Ok, so every brand, even the quality ones, inflates the RRP price of their watches, allows for retailers/ADs giving discounts to buyers, but the size of the inflated RRPs by some of these brands flogging mediocre Chinese watches with fabricated stories is absolutely staggering, especially as the cost of materials and labour for these Chinese watches is peanuts. That's why buying direct from the likes of Ali, instead of shysters like IW, gives you a truer value and better choice of Chinese watches, which are often better looking, better quality and better priced than IW's offerings.

Latest posts

Back