Random musings and general banter.

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Saw this a few days ago.

Screenshot_2024-09-17-16-11-57-380.jpg

Caption competition.

Well a snug used to be the comfy closed-off bit of the bar seating area of a pub.

At home, it's probably a room/study/shed housing man-cave stuff, hobby kit, gym or a small pineapple cocktail bar/alcohol dispensary!

View attachment 29851

19579-20240926-005820-COLLAGE-3.jpg

"Alllllrite darlins', nice of you to visit my wonderful goddess, but I will remind you lovely women that I am married. Crushing news I know, so to cheer yous up I've poured you all aaht sumfing a little medicinal. Wrap your lips round my signature Mason —calm down ladies, I've got a ring on my finger, what's a-matter with you all, blimey— Pineapple-tini. I can assure you it is every bit as tasty – and I mean tasty – as I look. If a little tart like—"

🙋🏻‍♀️ Mike, babe?

"Yes my gawjus wifey-boots who's so fortunate to have a handsome man such as I as her other half?"

🙎🏻‍♀️ ***k off and leave us girls alone for the night.

"Of course, gawjus."

Last edited:
FGS a sound bar at 9pm he'll be feeling the music that us mere plebs only listen to
Xenta sound bar. No S/pdif fibre connection, or hdmi, just a left/right phono sockets cable connection to the TV.
And Bluetooth connectivity.
Remote controller.
Not bad for £39.99 I guess?

1997 was a long time ago and naturally the winter fuel payments have become the norm. The act of taking it away is therefore sheer spite from a new government who have just got their feet under the table.

Sorry, but there is no justification for this when union workers have won big pay rises from the same lot. Even they have voted against this policy.

View attachment 29844
When the country is 2 trillion in debt and an annual deficit of 80bn, why should all (10m) pensioners get £300 a year, for winter fuel, irrespective of income?
Of course it should be means-tested.
Yes, the boundary maybe should be a bit higher than the pension credit income limit, but it would cost more to setup another test. Unless it could be done via the existing state pension tax coding scheme.

Most pensioners can afford an extra £300 a year.

What is the Average Retirement Income in the UK? Leading pensions publication, Pensions Age, reports that in 2021–2022, the typical retirement income in the UK increased to GBP 349 per week (or yearly GBP 18148) after housing expenses and direct taxes were considered.13 Feb 2024

In 2018–2020 there were approximately 11,619,000 individuals in the 65+ age cohort, of which 27% lived in a household with a total wealth above £1,000,000. This implies that there were approximately 3,137,000 individuals aged 65+ who lived in a household with a total wealth above £1,000,000 in 2018–2020.

As set out above, 18 per cent of pensioners are in relative income poverty and 6 per cent of those aged 65+ are in material deprivation. However, only two per cent of people aged 65+ are in both relative poverty and material deprivation.
https://www.ageuk.org.uk › age-uk
Poverty in later life - Age UK

How much does the average person have in savings when they retire UK?
In the UK, the average savings by age 50 should be £198,390 or the equivalent of six times your pre-retirement income. By age 60, the average savings should be £270,100 or the equivalent of eight times your pre-retirement income.11 Mar 2024

https://www.unbiased.co.uk › what-...

28% of over 55-year-olds purely rely on state pension | Money Marketing.15 Sept 2023

11% of pensioners (1.3 million people) have no savings. More than a quarter (27%) of pensioners (3 million people) have less than £1,500 in savings. One-third of pensioners (almost 4 million people) have less than £3,000 in savings.
https://ageing-better.org.uk › financ...

What is a comfortable pension income UK?
The latest figures show that a single person will need: £14,400 per year for a minimum retirement. £31,300 per year for a moderate retirement. £43,100 per year for a comfortable retirement.

When the country is 2 trillion in debt and an annual deficit of 80bn, why should all (10m) pensioners get £300 a year, for winter fuel, irrespective of income?
Yes, the boundary maybe should be a bit higher than the pension credit income limit, but it would cost more to setup another test. Unless it could be done via the existing state pension tax coding scheme.

What is the Average Retirement Income in the UK? Leading pensions publication, Pensions Age, reports that in 2021–2022, the typical retirement income in the UK increased to GBP 349 per week (or yearly GBP 18148) after housing expenses and direct taxes were considered.13 Feb 2024

In 2018–2020 there were approximately 11,619,000 individuals in the 65+ age cohort, of which 27% lived in a household with a total wealth above £1,000,000. This implies that there were approximately 3,137,000 individuals aged 65+ who lived in a household with a total wealth above £1,000,000 in 2018–2020.

As set out above, 18 per cent of pensioners are in relative income poverty and 6 per cent of those aged 65+ are in material deprivation. However, only two per cent of people aged 65+ are in both relative poverty and material deprivation.

In the UK, the average savings by age 50 should be £198,390 or the equivalent of six times your pre-retirement income. By age 60, the average savings should be £270,100 or the equivalent of eight times your pre-retirement income.11 Mar 2024

28% of over 55-year-olds purely rely on state pension | Money Marketing.15 Sept 2023

11% of pensioners (1.3 million people) have no savings. More than a quarter (27%) of pensioners (3 million people) have less than £1,500 in savings. One-third of pensioners (almost 4 million people) have less than £3,000 in savings.

The latest figures show that a single person will need: £14,400 per year for a minimum retirement. £31,300 per year for a moderate retirement. £43,100 per year for a comfortable retirement.
Facts and figures which this disingenuous government will use to defend their diabolical decisions. I've heard some claim that 1 in 4 pensioners are millionaires which is utter poppycock.

Means testing is fine but do it fairly and honestly not based on assumptions. Pensioners in the higher tax bracket should not get WFA but there are millions who are just on or above the basic pension who have come to rely on it. We are talking £1.4 billion saved which is a pittance in the grander scheme. And then there are the costs to the NHS for those who succumb to cold in the winter. Labour's own research showed that thousands will die if the allowance is withdrawn and many thousands more will suffer misery. What has happened to human decency in this country? Starmer, Reeves, Rayner & Co are a hard-hearted bunch who seem to be determined to out-tough the tories.

I never thought I'd see a Labour government as uncaring as this.

Yet the average single person pension income in the UK in 2023 was £13,884 or £267pw (male slightly higher £286pw, female slightly lower £259pw)

Statistics only tell part of the story.

While i agree quite a few folks don't need the WFA, the method is like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut and the excuse (savings) for this policy is patently erroneous. If they are successful in persuading folks to take up pension credit there is no savings on the current financial figures, it'll cost more. It's just a policy at a section of society Labour dislike and they really don't care whether innocent bystanders suffer.

Yet the average single person pension income in the UK in 2023 was £13,884 or £267pw (male slightly higher £286pw, female slightly lower £259pw)

Statistics only tell part of the story.

While i agree quite a few folks don't need the WFA, the method is like taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut and the excuse (savings) for this policy is patently erroneous. If they are successful in persuading folks to take up pension credit there is no savings on the current financial figures, it'll cost more. It's just a policy at a section of society Labour dislike and they really don't care whether innocent bystanders suffer.
I know you could call this sneaky (however we're talking about the world of politics here!) however what I can't get my head around is, even if they did just discover the £20 billion black hole on day one in power, and even if they had the idea to tinker with WFA early on during their brainstorming sessions, surely logic should have told them it would by and large go down like a lead balloon. If I was a senior advisor to the PM I'd have strongly advised him not to raise this idea until 2025, and even then only if the first 6-12 months had been going well from a public perception perspective.

There are other things they could have tackled to start filling the black hole.

As I said before, if the next few years don't go well for them, this could be a contributing factor to them not doing well come next GE. People have long memories ...

I know you could call this sneaky (however we're talking about the world of politics here!) however what I can't get my head around is, even if they did just discover the £20 billion black hole on day one in power, and even if they had the idea to tinker with WFA early on during their brainstorming sessions, surely logic should have told them it would by and large go down like a lead balloon. If I was a senior advisor to the PM I'd have strongly advised him not to raise this idea until 2025, and even then only if the first 6-12 months had been going well from a public perception perspective.

There are other things they could have tackled to start filling the black hole.

As I said before, if the next few years don't go well for them, this could be a contributing factor to them not doing well come next GE. People have long memories ...
The so-called black hole was caused by Labour giving 22% to doctors and 14% to train drivers which in turn has seen the refusal of nurses to accept 5.5% and who can blame them?

So really it is Labour's black hole. The tendency to blame the previous administration will run out of steam before too long. If someone takes on a new job how long can they get away with saying 'it was the previous person's fault' when things go wrong? Not long if at all.

Labour are laying down a marker of riding rough shod over anyone they don't like or disagree with. For a party who actually got 30% or less of the total vote that is not clever. They had years to plan for the takeover but are running the country down with talk of the NHS and other services being broken. They did that all the time in opposition.

There is no talk of taxing the rich a bit more or of prosecuting the profiteering and neglectful bosses of the utilities. Indeed they are pandering to the wealthy just like Blair and Mandelson did. Enjoying their luxury freebies in a way which they would have whipped the tories for.

Xenta sound bar. No S/pdif fibre connection, or hdmi, just a left/right phono sockets cable connection to the TV.
And Bluetooth connectivity.
Remote controller.
Not bad for £39.99 I guess?

Awful for £39.99, to be honest. It's just cheap generic sound bar imported from China (about 10 years ago judging by the lack of options) that Xenta's stuck in a box with their brand on - but that is their entire business. They're a UK brand, yes Mike. Just like Swan & Edgar. But they're not a manufacturer, or even a designer. They just pick products out of a catalog and import them.

Heck, they don't even go the Homesmart level of even putting their logo put ON their products usually. And it's unusual to find it even on the info sticker stuck on the bottom/back. Proper low-effort brand.

And what's he doing selling it as a TV sound bar? Xenta is a computer component brand, and that sound bar (as the product name implies 'Monitor') is for sitting under a PC monitor. Not designed to fill an entire living room with cinematic oomph.

You'd think Mike, as someone who "knows" sound, would know if you want good audio you'd buy something from a brand known for good audio and not flogging cheap no-frills PC cables and cases...

Doesn't have to be high-end and costly either. It's only at the miniature end (headphones) that speaker technology is changing. For regular things like sound bars the fundamental tech is the same as it ever was really (though quality of components matters). What matters more in the "digital age" is the board and chip inside which processes the audio and passes it to the speaker. That chip often adapts the shape of the sound to suit the speakers used in the product - when both are in harmony, good sound!

For people who don't "know" sound like Mike does — I count myself as someone who can't really tell that much difference from mid-range to high-end — there are lots of affordable entry-level sound bars made for TVs around £30-50, well reviewed, top sellers, and from companies who focus on audio not rebadging all manner of black plastic PC crap like Xenta do.

RANT OVER SORRY BUT TECH IS MY JOB.

Last edited:
Doesn't have to be high-end and costly either. It's only at the miniature end (headphones) that speaker technology is changing. For regular things like sound bars the fundamental tech is the same as it ever was really (though quality of components matters). What matters more in the "digital age" is the board and chip inside which processes the audio and passes it to the speaker. That chip often adapts the shape of the sound to suit the speakers used in the product - when both are in harmony, good sound!

Ran out of time to edit to add, but there are scores of sound engineers, film score composers, and general audio bores (haha) who still use good quality speakers from the 70s/80s/80s today - things haven't changed that much (but for digital sound they're usually connected to a DAC, and the audio source goes in to the DAC (which is little box with a digital signal processing chip inside and some twiddly knobs on that probably don't do anything* but make people feel like a pro ;P).

*Alan Sugar's Amstrad was fond of this strategy. I think Clive Sinclair, of ZX Spectrum fame, referred to Alan's approach to selling electronics as "a Mug's Eyeful" - i.e., put cheap rubbish in a fancy case with lots of buttons and things on so that regular punters go 'wow, derrick - that one looks more advanced' - Amstrad's hi-fis were total junk but sold by the truck load.

Ran out of time to edit to add, but there are scores of sound engineers, film score composers, and general audio bores (haha) who still use good quality speakers from the 70s/80s/80s today - things haven't changed that much (but for digital sound they're usually connected to a DAC, and the audio source goes in to the DAC (which is little box with a digital signal processing chip inside and some twiddly knobs on that probably don't do anything* but make people feel like a pro ;P).

*Alan Sugar's Amstrad was fond of this strategy. I think Clive Sinclair, of ZX Spectrum fame, referred to Alan's approach to selling electronics as "a Mug's Eyeful" - i.e., put cheap rubbish in a fancy case with lots of buttons and things on so that regular punters go 'wow, derrick - that one looks more advanced' - Amstrad's hi-fis were total junk but sold by the truck load.
I know less than sweet f a about this stuff but I do know what Mike himself said on screen a couple of weeks ago and that was “buy cheap,buy twice” and he has said it before. And I tend to agree with that on the whole.

Well if that is his mantra fair comment but when he effuses about some of the cheap crap, he soon forgets his ‘mantra’

Hey ho..

I know less than sweet f a about this stuff but I do know what Mike himself said on screen a couple of weeks ago and that was “buy cheap,buy twice” and he has said it before. And I tend to agree with that on the whole.

Well if that is his mantra fair comment but when he effuses about some of the cheap crap, he soon forgets his ‘mantra’

Hey ho..
Sally regularly says the buy cheap, buy twice line. But she ruins it because she's referring to the clothing she's selling, trying to justify the high price of a ghastly product that's not worth the money.

Another useful mantra in life is 'price per wear'. If you buy a fairly expensive coat that looks amazing and you wear it all winter for 10 years then its great value for money.

I fell for Binatone, not Amstrad.

Saw something about Sugar on a BBC doco that credited him with the idea of combining the tuner/tape/deck and amp, instead of separate units, saving money and simplifying the design/cost to make music centres cheaper for the masses.

Sally regularly says the buy cheap, buy twice line. But she ruins it because she's referring to the clothing she's selling, trying to justify the high price of a ghastly product that's not worth the money.
They probably just want you to buy twice!

Go on, 'ave a multi-buy.
But one for everyone in the family. For friends. For relatives.
For the person down the end of the road that you fancy!

I've heard some claim that 1 in 4 pensioners are millionaires which is utter poppycock.

That was in my original post. Can't find the source.
All the facts/figures I posted were not from Government sources, bar the ONS first paragraph.

We are talking £300. A year. Most pensioners can afford it and the lowest income get Pension Credit and will get WFP.

There will always be a threshold where someone just above it could be argued they should get it too.

WFP should be means-tested, not given to all pensioners. The argument is at what threshold they should not be entitled to receive it.
The PAYE tax system coding could be used to account for the £300 at a higher thr should level without costing more to means test.

The country has little to no spare money. They have to make savings.
To eliminate the deficit, let alone the debt, you would see real austerity, not this minor WFP tweak! The pips would squeak and all those entitled to government services would be squealing like caged pigs.

Wait for the budget!!!!

Pensions have risen above inflation, triple-locked. And will rise further with the lock if Starmergeddon is to be believed.
The rhetoric around change and prosperity is exactly that. Labour have to do what the Tories would have done, because there is little fiscal room for manoeuvre.

The vast majority of pensioners can afford their bills and have adequate income via State and many with additional private pensions.

While we're at it, how quickly the nurses have forgotten the additional money awarded them after COVID and 'clap for NHS/nurses' Thursday.

All the facts/figures I posted were not from Government sources, bar the ONS first paragraph.

We are talking £300. A year. Most pensioners can afford it and the lowest income get Pension Credit and will get WFP.

There will always be a threshold where someone just above it could be argued they should get it too.

WFP should be means-tested, not given to all pensioners. The argument is at what threshold they should not be entitled to receive it.
The PAYE tax system coding could be used to account for the £300 at a higher thr should level without costing more to means test.

To eliminate the deficit, let alone the debt, you would see real austerity, not this minor WFP tweak! The pips would squeak and all those entitled to government services would be squealing like caged pigs.

Wait for the budget!!!!

Pensions have risen above inflation, triple-locked. And will rise further with the lock if Starmergeddon is to be believed.
The rhetoric around change and prosperity is exactly that. Labour have to do what the Tories would have done, because there is little fiscal room for manoeuvre.

The vast majority of pensioners can afford their bills and have adequate income via State and many with additional private pensions.

While we're at it, how quickly the nurses have forgotten the additional money awarded them after COVID and 'clap for NHS/nurses' Thursday.
I’m a nurse, I didn’t get any money awarded after Covid, although I did catch it 4 times. I told my neighbours not to clap as a recognised death toll of over 200000 plus is nothing to be proud of - let alone the deaths caused by lack of availability to see clinicians and postponed operations. I sat with people who were dying of covid and couldn’t have their family with them. I don’t want to be clapped, I don’t even want a pay rise - it is my choice to be a nurse and I am proud to do so.

Wait for the budget!!!!

If you can't find the source, best not to make the quote. As I said the idea that 1 in 4 pensioners are millionaires is pie in the sky. Nobody apart from Labour lackeys believe that.

There was no special pay award for nurses regarding covid though they certainly deserved one. Like I said means test for winter fuel allowance but start with those on the higher tax band. That would be far fairer than pulling the plug across the board as they have done. And it will capture all the "millionaires"! The reality is millions will suffer. Many will die. They don't give a tinker's cuss. None of these people are working class not like the old days when we had miners and steel workers in parliament. Most of them are lawyers or bankers if they have done any proper jobs at all.

The budget will be more bad news especially for the lower paid. Fuel duty will increase because this is a metropolitan government who think everyone should be using buses and bikes. Thus motorists will be attacked next and used as a cash cow as sure as day follows night. You don't have to be Einstein.

I don't like the way the country is going but thank goodness we have Ideal World who will help us with all our little problems by offering useful products at the lowest prices. Mike Mason is our friend "in the business" and is only interested in our welfare. Hence his offer of a fan heater in lieu of the winter fuel allowance and why not buy two? What a diamond geezer he is.

Latest posts

Back